Depression amongst JWs

by tornapart 45 Replies latest jw friends

• kneehighmiah
    kneehighmiah

I read through some of the thread on the facebook page. One elder in paticualr a Richard Lawson stood out. What a judgemental douche. His Pharisiacal thinking is what burdens the friends with guilt. The Bible never tells us how many meetings we should have each week or what our meeting attendence % needs to be. (Jehovah only made the Jews attend one meeting a week) It simply instructs us that we should not make a habit of missing meetings or avoiding Christian fellowship. Once again an elder attempting to quantify spirituality. No wonder people are depressed. All that guilt heaped upon them. Once I stopped trying to please men I became free. A load was lifted.

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

What an amazing cloud of testimony in the comments! The experience of depression appears to be of epidemic proportions.

On the other hand one particular comment illustrates the prevalent expectation - of the repressive, pressure-cooker seal variety - that aggravates the illness: Don't tell anyone that something is wrong; keep it to yourself.

Why is this being discussed on This forum ? I am sure topic of judging have been discussed by conventions and meetings .Why go public with this ministry ideaz? True servants of Jehovah does [sic] not publicise !!

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

My depression/anxiety disorder literally halved when I left JWs. I've also noticed that JWs mope about negative things at the hall, like sickness, how tired they are, how 'hard' it is in this system, and so on and so forth. People who aren't JWs have tiredness, sickness and difficulties too, but it's not their whole topic of conversation. They have pleasures and things to look forward to and don't get so stuck in the victim mentality. Being around people who always see the glass as half empty and always see the big dark rainclouds rather than the silver lining is bound to increase depression.

And then told you should be happy and are living the most fulfilling life possible, well you feel rotten and then feel guilty for feeling so because you shouldn't, which then leads to more depression. It wears you down.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Julia Orwell:

Most people, myself included, feel much better after leaving the JW religion. And, as you stated, the rest of the human race has tiredness, sickness and difficulties as well. But, they don't fixate on these things. They have other joyful things in their lives. They also live life in the present.

In contrast, Jehovah's Witnesses postpone happiness for some future never-never land. This is very damaging to the mind. They don't realize it, but they are letting their present life slip through their hands like sand in an hourglass. In a way, their belief is like Christendom's belief of a hereafter, except JW's "hereafter" is supposed to be on earth. But, at least people in Christendom have some joy in their present lives. They are not moping around like JWs wishing their life away. The clock is ticking for everybody, but it is sadder when you are sitting in a kingdom hall.

I believe that this damaging belief, most of all, makes for the very unhappy mental state among Jehovah's Witnesses.

• satinka
    satinka

Interesting thread.

When I was a jw I was on antidepressants.

Strangest thing...now I'm df'd, I'm off all medication!

Could be 'cuz I'm no longer a WT robot.

satinka

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Depression?? Our C.O said that we need to control negative feelings.

DD

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

DD, And I suppose the CO said that the best way to control negative feelings was by spending more time preaching.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Billy - Wouldn't they say: 'spend more time preaching and no time w@nking'? - if it was the other way round, people would definitely be happier

• satinka
    satinka

the best way to control negative feelings was by spending more time preaching.

Billy, yes indeed. That is exactlywhat the elders told me when I got depressed.

professional counselors that they are...

satinka

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

The old pioneer book, obviously influenced predominantly by Knorr, had a section regarding discouragement. It stated that if you were discouraged, you were essentially not doing enough in the field. Our Pioneer instructor stated, " Knorr used to say, 'Don't worry, work." Years later, after Knorr's death (of a brain tumor reportedly), the tone of the Shining as Illuminators book took a drastic turn. No longer did it blame the pioneer's discouragement on laziness or lack of effort. In a splendid example of balance and compassion, it actually instructed the pioneer to take time off for relaxation and recreation. What a concept!

Over the years, I have witnessed more lives disrupted by depression in this, the "happiest people in the world" then I care to recall. The pioneer book is simply an expression of the reason why SOOO many witnesses are depressed. They just can't do enough! Where Jesus said "my load is light," I have yet to see any witness truly understand that fundamental aspect of Christianity.

Just a thought,

SOP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit