Nov 20, 2013 Letter to All Congregations (RE: Phillipines Disaster Relief)

by Gayle 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

The WTBTS specializes in printing, publishing and buying and selling real estate...not in disaster relief aid to victims of natural disasters.

So WT stick to what your niche is and leave disaster relief to the experts such as AmeriCares, UNICEF, Doctors Without Borders, The Red Cross and other caring organizations that specialize in humanitarian relief.

It would be a loving thing; it would be Christ-Like if you (WT) encouraged your members to give to the professional charity of their choice instead of directing them to give to your vague and questionable 'World Wide Work'!

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

How does that saying go?

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

• factfinder
    factfinder

The wts will never disclose exactly how all donations are being used.

• WatchTower87
    WatchTower87

Original Letters download http://adf.ly/ZtXqS

• kepler
    kepler

Two related reflections on this:

1. After the great earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan a few years ago, on line I came across streaming data about the status of Jehovah Witnesses thereabouts. It was more or less a roll call after a battle, a confirmation that everyone was present.

I noted that the status of the pets of brothers and sisters wassometines included in the report. And every once in a while there was mention of an unbaptized or unbelieving spouse. Otherwise, who knows what the mentality of the reports was: the beginning of the liquidation of the rest of mankind accordance with an [updated] interpretation of scriptures? No? Then maybe just a rehearsal.

2. "The WTBTS specializes in printing, publishing and buying and selling real estate...not in disaster relief aid to victims of natural disasters."

The specialialization in printing and publishing is worth a moment's reflection. The fact that publications are distributed world wide shows that the society is not without resources for distributing goods.

Granted, in the 21st century much of what the society writes and publishes can be distributed electronically at local plants, but it is hard to believe that there are no ships, planes or trucks involved in WT publication deliveries.

The problem is largely philosophical or doctrinal, the excising of the notion of "neighbor" from the NT for brother or sister in faith or cult and a pre-occupation with Matthew 24 vs. Matthew 25. The people who came into my house thought that an earthquake in Haiti was a validation that we were living in the end times, but were extremely evasive about how they intended to do anything to assist those affected by the event, except urge them to become fellow publishers.

Yes, send something ( goods or a check) to the Philippines via an organization you can trust.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I would just love to know the extent of assistance that is given. I would love it if they were forced to open their books for an audit.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

In the UK charity law requires annual disclosure of funds and details of restricted funds. These are available for all to see without charge on the charity commission site.

The WBTS in the UK detailed receiving £16,099 during year ended 31 Aug 2012 for their "relief fund" which is "for the purpose of giving support to areas experiencing distress or natural disaster". They did not spend one penny of these funds in that year. When the latest set of financials are available then we can see if they spent this.

Edited to add: They also brought forward £143,679 from the previous year (31Aug 2011) and none of this was spent either. I'm intrigued to know what disaster takes two years or more to respond to?

If only American charity law would be like UK charity law and allow complete transparency.

The WBTS is not in the business of disaster relief. Any claim otherwise is a lie.

mmxiv

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

"there is no need for donations of food, clothing"

That makes sense. Send money, then the people there will purchase what they need. You don't know what they need other than canned goods and batteries and water. Where are you going to send it? Bethel and expect them to forward it? Those coordinating it in the area can better mass order things and distribute it.

• gorgia2
    gorgia2

I am involved in a Filippino charity and we have organized two large crates to be shipped full of food and clothing to affected areas from Oz. If we ever sent out a letter like that to the public there would be uproar.

gorgia

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

gorgia2, well done. everything helps. anyone in desperate need is not always aware of where the relief comes from - it's just gratefully receieved.

mmxiv

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit