Nov 20, 2013 Letter to All Congregations (RE: Phillipines Disaster Relief)

by Gayle 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wasblind
    wasblind

Thank you Scott77

The visuals certainly bring home the point made

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Our family recently made a donation to help the people in the Phillipines, but we did it through a respected charity (don't worry, we will NEVER give another dime or cent to the WTS!!). But on this well-known charity's website, they also stated that donations of food and clothing are difficult to get to the people or to transport, and that money is the preferred donation as it can then be used for anything that is needed, as in tents, shelters, bottled water, and food that may be bought from other areas closer to the disaster area.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Ok I need to apologize both to the Wt and those on this forum for my previous comments about the " food and clothing". It dose appear that I miss understood what they were getting at and how currency is the preferred donation. I think BLUESBROTHER helps to give balance to this discussion. It dose appear that the society will accept donations that are specifically ear marked for disaster relief. So if a person chooses to do this then so be it. But then again there is certainly pressure not to stipulate what it is used for ( e.g WWW) so there is no accountability. If I was a discerning publisher I would be stipulating on the cheque that I want it to help those in the Philippines. Thanks BLUESBROTHER FOR THAT LETTER.

Blues brother

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

It is completely understandable that collecting physical things like cans of food, clothing, etc wouldn't do a lot of good, as the WT society doesn't have a way to transport those things halfway around the world. But the thrust of the letter is that if someone wants to donate some money specifically to the affected Witnesses in the Phillipines, the Society is saying they won't promise the money will get there. They will spend the money for whatever they want, though they seem to imply that if would be used for relief somewhere. But since there is no accountability, as Joe pointed out, one cannot be sure that any donation goes to relief.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Dear Brothers:

Many publishers have inquired how to contribute to the disaster relief effort underway
    following the recent disasters in the Philippines. Never underestimate the good effect that your
    prayers can have on the brothers in an area that has been struck by a disaster. (2 Cor. 1:8-11)
    You may also feel motivated to express your concern through a donation. The November 2005
    issue of Our Kingdom Ministry, page 3, stated: “It is recommended that donations for humanitarian
    and relief assistance be made to the worldwide work. This fund is used for relief effortsas
    well as for advancing the spiritual needs of the Christian brotherhood. If, for some reason, a person
    wishes to make a relief donation separate from contributions to the worldwide work, it will
    still be accepted and used wherever there is a need for relief assistance. However, it would be
    appreciated if such donations are made without restrictions as to where and how the funds may
    be used.” Additionally, at this time, there is no need for donations of food, clothing, or other
    items. If such needs arise in the future, you will be notified accordingly.

We send our warm Christian love.

The WBT$ flatly says,they`re going to do what they like with any donated money..

It could be spent on WBT$ Literature,it could go to another country..

It could be spent on a WBT$ GB Rock Star Pope`s New Shoes!..

...............................................................I`d like New Shoes!..

......................................................I`m Flying to Hawaii Tomorrow!..

.......................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• compound complex
    compound complex

Late 60s, early 70s, -- don't recall exactly -- a massive earthquake hit Peru, and the newly acquired Squibb building was used to house mountains of donated clothes. Thousands and thousands of pieces, much of which we had to discard as unusable (a lot of dirty, worn clothing was tossed our way).

CC was there (House of God)

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

630 000 people displaced. That's more than the population of the city I live in. The GB could afford to house all those people I'm sure, but they need to 'advance pure worship' by building themselves a resort.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Wow, the GB knows that most JWs are not going to think this through. So, for any JW that is lurking here

Donation of clothes, food, ...... goes directly to Phillipines or, at least, someone in need.

Donation of money restricted for Phillapines . .. . must go to Phillipines per US tax law.

Donation of money unrestricted . . . . . goes to the GB so they can spend ANYWHERE (i.e. on legal costs for the pedophile lawsuits).

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Wow, the GB knows that most JWs are not going to think this through. So, for any JW that is lurking here

Donation of clothes, food, ...... goes directly to Phillipines or, at least, someone in need.

Donation of money restricted for Phillapines . .. . must go to Phillipines per US tax law.

Donation of money unrestricted . . . . . goes to the GB so they can spend ANYWHERE (i.e. on legal costs for the pedophile lawsuits).

• prologos
    prologos

look at the pictures, hand-washed cloth hung out to dry, boy bathing. the country is a mess, at best of times, the people, ladies are clean.

Money to the government wasted by politicians.

stronger powers could build Volcano--, earthquake--, flood--, wind--proof permanent shelters, as it is, coconut lumber, corrugated sheet, bamboo

will do

until the next disaster,

with a warm smile.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit