GODS NAME...Respectfully Address God

by Solace 43 Replies latest members adult

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    has anyone ever considered the possibility that God may not want us to address him by his "name".

If this was such a critical point, don't you thing the deity would have clarified it?

Better yet... why don't you just ask it what it wants?

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• simwitness
    simwitness

Thought that occurred to me recently...

IF (and that is a big IF) 'Jehovah' is the correct spelling/pronunciation/etc... of the divine name, what one group on the planet has caused it to be more DISRESPECTED?

as of late, I have been using the term "Creator" when I refer to the divine one (not Prince!)...

• Solace
    Solace

Elsewhere,
    Thats true.
    I really dont believe it to be a critical issue,
    but the W.T.S puts such great importance on them being the only faith giving proper attention to Gods supposedly accurate name.
    If they are proven false, what will they call themselves? "Witnesses"?
    How will they be seperate from the world then.

• Solace
    Solace

Simwitnesses,
    Aint that the truth!
    Nothin like claiming to be "Jehovahs mouthpiece" and then telling lie after lie after lie after lie after lie................

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Surely in God's Case NAME means Title and DESCRIBES attributes, rather than designates who he is. There is Only ONE God, why would he need a name? To distinguish him from other gods?

WHen Jesus said he came to make God's name known, he meant, to make the attributes of God's Love and Mercy, etc known.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Heaven, regarding the behavior of the WTS, I can explain it in two words: Mental Masturbation.

Bad Monkey! Bad!

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• Solace
    Solace

Yerusalyim,
    I believe so too.
    Thank you for explaining it so well and making me feel a little less crazy.

Elsewhere,
    "Mental Masturbation"
    Ahhhh,,,,,
    Finding out the truth about the organization that my family trusted with our lives was quite a climactic experience for me.

I must admit though,
    I've had better.

• Nemesis
    Nemesis

What makes me laugh is the attitude the Watch Tower has to “worldly traditions” (i.e. they are all bad) and then they use them for a mistranslation for God’s name—the very name they claim is of such importance! Forget all the evidence it’s actually Yahweh, and ‘lets go for worldly tradition, and use Jehovah instead’.

I always felt that God would not have a name; a name is just a means to an end—to identify someone. The actual name YHWH is not the issue at all; it’s whom it represents. I can’t imagine an immortal omnipotent being of infinity can be reduced to YHWH. That is why we do not see it in the New Testament, as Jesus (Yeshua) was the main focus, and the only path to God/Yahweh/YHWH/Eternal one. A name is just a label for the one who is the focus, I don’t know why the Watch Tower obsess over “Jehovah” like it’s a magical charm, even going as far as inserting it many times in the New Testament without any divine authority to do so.

• Solace
    Solace

Nemesis,
    "I don’t know why the Watch Tower obsess over “Jehovah” like it’s a magical charm, even going as far as inserting it many times in the New Testament without any divine authority to do so".

I agree so much.
    Especially if what they inserted is incorrect.

• D8TA
    D8TA

*fluff* So, eh, if a Jehovah Witness is confronted with a Vampire they are SOL.

You can't use a cross.
    You can't use Holy Water.
    You can't use a stake, because of bloodguilt.
    You can't say "Jehovah", because frankyly the Vampire would laugh their ass off wondering why you are using a misinterpeted name from a 12th Century Catholic Monk.

*end fluff*

Pretty much "Jehovah" is as good as using "Lord" or "God". It is NOT the name of the God in the Old or New Testament. But the WTBTS has painted itself in to a corner with this name deal. From there doctrine they are now FORCED to use "JEHOVAH Witnesses"...even thought the name is entirely unfounded. No one, no scholar(s), no anthropologist(s), absolutely no one...knows the ONE TRUE name of God. Therefore JEHOVAH Witnesses is in error, thus not really using the TRUE NAME of God. Therefore...they are S**t Outta Luck.

This isn't a "point of view" isssue either. Simple as asking:

Is "JEHOVAH" the TRUE/FACTUAL name of the God referred to in the Old and New Testament of the Bible?

Answer is: NO! Not by a longshot. Nadda. Absolutely Not. There is no written reference in any text from the old or new world that reveals the ONE TRUE name of God. It was (and is still is- by some groups) considered a very sacred and holy name. Not to be uttered in speech or text.

JESUS CHRIST NEVER USED GOD'S NAME....EVER! All ways refered to him as "FATHER", "LORD", "GOD" etc etc.

From a self application point of view:
    I myself will never use "JEHOVAH" as a reference to God, again. The fact that it's NOT the name of God, I do (out of respect) feel that giving God the name JEHOVAH, makes as much sense as calling him Shiva or Gwado the Monkey Lord. Why give God a name from a opinionated interpretation, that is incorrect?

But that's for me. If anyone wants to call God: Jehovah, Yahweh, Tiki Tiki Mali Lord of Fire ...whatever....more power to ya. :)

D8TA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit