GODS NAME...Respectfully Address God

by Solace 43 Replies latest members adult

• detective
    detective
    In view of all of this, it is evidently important for us to know what God's name is.
    -from hallowed be your name- what name?

I got into a lovely little brouhaha with an witness over the heavenly name game thang.

It went something like this:
    me: Why isn't it Yahweh's witnesses?
    JW: Because God's name is Jehovah.
    me: Well, isn't it true that no one knows God's name?
    JW: Jehovah's witnesses know that God's name derived from YHWH is jehovah in english.
    me: Yes, but according to the watchtower's own website/materials, nobody knows for sure.

The truth is, nobody knows for sure how the name of God was originally pronounced. - From the Divine name that will endure forever

JW: WE know for sure.

me: But according to the watchtower, nobody knows for sure...

Some—though not all—feel that the Israelites before the time of Jesus probably pronounced God's name Yahweh. But no one can be sure. Perhaps they pronounced it that way, perhaps not. -from the divine name that will endure forever
    JW: Well, they are just being cautious. They know it's Jehovah.

me: yes, but I am just repeating what they've printed on the subject.

JW: you are incorrect. They are just being cautious though.

me: well, this says to me that accuracy isn't really that important to them when they admit that Yahweh might actually be closer to god's name.

Nevertheless, many prefer the pronunciation Jehovah. Why? Because it has a currency and familiarity that Yahweh does not have. Would it not, though, be better to use the form that might be closer to the original pronunciation? Not really, for that is not the custom with Bible names. -from the divine name that will endure forever
    JW: they know what god's name is, they are just being cautious (he was really big into this caution thang!)

me: So, when I say Yahweh might be closer to the pronunciation, I am wrong, but when they say it, they are just being cautious?

JW: Exactly.

me: hmmmm.

Now, that's not verbatim but that's pretty much the feel for the conversation. I did quote specific passages from their literature as I argued with this guy. Honestly, I really don't particularly care either way. I'm just one of those crazy people who thinks that if they are going to hold the name as so important then they might actually want to use a name that might be closer to accurate than a name that happens to ring a bell with folks. But I'm weird that way.

• Solace
    Solace

Detective,
    It is so crazy how they can bounce from "It being so important that we have the correct name" to "Well it really isnt that important anyway".
    About being cautious,
    Isnt that exactly why the W.T.S claims the name "Jehovah" was removed from the bible by "pagan ones", "they were being cautious, didnt find it respectful to print Gods name, so they removed it". That is the W.T.S reasoning for "reinserting the name Jehovah" throughout the bible. Now they are also trying to say they use an incorrect pronunciation to be cautious?
    What the?!?

SYN,
    O.K.
    You be as bad as ya' wanna be!
    I hate restrictions too.

• recoveringexjw
    recoveringexjw

jehova is just one of many titles of god.i call him heavenly father.

• Solace
    Solace

Recovering,
    I feel comfortable with that too.
    I feel it gives respect and there isnt much room for error.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit