Dawkins Chapter 2 - Dogs, Cows and Cabbages

by KateWild 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bohm
    bohm

I must admit its painfull to see the book summerized in such a biased and inaccurate way. Kate, is this really what you took away from chapter 2? Do you think one of dawkins main points was about his feelings on the size of boobs?! Tell me you are joking just a bit..

• KateWild
    KateWild

Bohm, I was joking...but it was a very memorable part of the chapter. It struck me as out of place. Kate xx

• tec
    tec

People like different things, and different styles... someone not liking Dawkins style does not necessarily reflect on the man, himself.

I, personally, will not read Dawkins if i want to read something about science. I will go to a scientist who has no other agenda or bias. I would really just want it straight. Just the facts... no spin on them. No 'convincing' needed. I have only read the first chapter, and some of the second chapter myself though, and just because Kate started a reveiw.

Peace,

tammy

• KateWild
    KateWild

Tammy, you will have made cofty's day. Kate xx

• Etude
    Etude

tec:

"I, personally, will not read Dawkins if i want to read something about science. I will go to a scientist who has no other agenda or bias. I would really just want it straight. Just the facts... no spin on them."

PRECISELY! It doesn't mean that Dawkins or any other similar writer can't be correct about something. But if one really wants to cut throught the bullshit (other than for entertainment purposes), there are better ways than reading popularists books.

• cantleave
    cantleave

At least you are reading the book. Unstoppable couldn't get past the prologue.

• Etude
    Etude

Well, it stands to reason that large boobs and Natural Selection are intrinsically linked. That supports the idea of Group Selection and the distribution of the "large boob" gene into a population. I'm sure he had to restrict his examples for brevety's sake and therefore did not expand his discussion on the "large penis" gene. Oh yeah, let's not forget the "big butt" gene.

Fertility Goddes

• bohm
    bohm

Kate: i just cant connect your summary of the chapter with what i remember at all. Do you think you are giving it a fair reading?

• cofty
    cofty

That's hypocrisy Tammy. You have utter contempt for science.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

I don't relate I'm afraid. The explanation of artificial selection to explain natural selection was clear and useful to illustrate how evolution works.
    A fun read for me... and very convincing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit