Dawkins Chapter 2 - Dogs, Cows and Cabbages

by KateWild 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tec
    tec

If your faith is in something in contravention of a scientific fact it is in conflict 'truthfully'. Many of your faith based assertions are in conflict with scientific understanding. You are not in agreement with much of what science has discovered.

Oh, you mean because I question a conclusion in the continuing evolution of the theory of evolution? I don't know what else you're talking about.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

Theism makes science impossible.

Thesists can only do science by resorting to a benevolent hypocrisy.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

tec - You stated elsewhere sentiments agreeing that the spirit resides in the bones and that when you die your spirit sleeps within those bones. In discussion about what happens when bones get destroyed you shared a revelation regarding the preservation of the spirit in baby teeth. I expect you will elaborate and correct this but it will serve the point.

Simple chemistry tells us that biological remains including baby teeth rarely last very long in geological scales and that is one reason why old ones are so hard to find. It is easy to show that many people no longer have any calcium or enamel remains hence that your belief in the state of the spirit and bones post death is wrong.

• KateWild
    KateWild

You are not in agreement with much of what science has discovered.-Qcmbr

You haven't read all my posts, met me or discussed chemistry with me. Why do you draw this conclusion?

• Etude
    Etude

Thanks cofty. It’s been a while since I’ve been on the forum and have forgotten that there are people here like that. I got up this morning and saw this from KateWild:

I am afraid I disagree, Einstein's religious beliefs fuelled his desire to investigate science. He made wonderful discoveries because of his faith. Faith and religion don't stop everyone from making scientific discoveries. I find people stop moving forward in science, because they are more interested in other topics. IMO it's not always about faith and religion.”

I had thought that such lies about Einstein would have been settled by now. KateWild, where do you get such inaccurate information? It sounds like something the WTBTS would manipulate. Please don’t confuse a person who uses the word “God” in a sentence with being religious. People exclaim “Oh God” during sex and that doesn’t make Him part of threesome. C’mon. If you do a search in this forum, you’ll probably find several good explanations for what you claim isn’t true.

tec: I assumed too much from one post. Really? You use science to explain faith? Particle physics brings you closer to God? OKey-dokey. Look, I get the awesomeness that science brings, just like I get a wondrous feeling seeing a photo of the deep space galactic field. But I don’t confuse that with religious worship. Alice in Wonderland contains more logic than the Bible. I’m now thinking that we’ve had conversations before, maybe even a marathon one about a year ago about how you know (in your head) about God. Was that you?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Kate - I was talking to tec.

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks cofty. It’s been a while since I’ve been on the forum and have forgotten that there are people here like that.

Like what?

ETA - It's OK I worked it out.

It would be really useful if it were possible to link to specific posts.

• adamah
    adamah

No offense intended, but you're reading a book that's still over your head, Kate. You probably should start with Dawkins book, "The Magic of Reality: How We Know What We Know", since you're jumping into a book that presumes a basic level of exposure to science.

Etude said-

Thanks cofty. It’s been a while since I’ve been on the forum and have forgotten that there are people here like that. I got up this morning and saw this from KateWild:

I am afraid I disagree, Einstein's religious beliefs fuelled his desire to investigate science. He made wonderful discoveries because of his faith. Faith and religion don't stop everyone from making scientific discoveries. I find people stop moving forward in science, because they are more interested in other topics. IMO it's not always about faith and religion.”

I had thought that such lies about Einstein would have been settled by now. KateWild, where do you get such inaccurate information? It sounds like something the WTBTS would manipulate. Please don’t confuse a person who uses the word “God” in a sentence with being religious. People exclaim “Oh God” during sex and that doesn’t make Him part of threesome. C’mon. If you do a search in this forum, you’ll probably find several good explanations for what you claim isn’t true.

You may have missed the recent thread where Kate specifically started a thread on the topic (search for "Einstien"; she misspelled his name in the title of the thread), and despite MANY attempts to explain, she still seemingly doesn't care to understand that Einstein referred to 'Spinoza's God', where Einstein was clearly a deist, and NOT a Xian or believer in the Jewish faith.

Adam

• tec
    tec

tec - You stated elsewhere sentiments agreeing that the spirit resides in the bones and that when you die your spirit sleeps within those bones. In discussion about what happens when bones get destroyed you shared a revelation regarding the preservation of the spirit in baby teeth. I expect you will elaborate and correct this but it will serve the point.

Simple chemistry tells us that biological remains including baby teeth rarely last very long in geological scales and that is one reason why old ones are so hard to find. It is easy to show that many people no longer have any calcium or enamel remains hence that your belief in the state of the spirit and bones post death is wrong.

Never minding what I actually expressed, and I won't get into it on this thread... wouldn't you have to know something about how the spirit works, how the spirit (who you actually are) remains or 'decays' (I guess that word could do)... to be able to make a statment about the possibility or impossiblity about the spirit? For instance, an eye might not be able to see that there is a living cell in what appears to be dead tissue... but a microscope (or some other tool)... could detect that. So when it comes to the spirit, think of God having the biggest, baddest microscope out there.

tec: I assumed too much from one post. Really? You use science to explain faith? Particle physics brings you closer to God? OKey-dokey.

That was not me. But... even so... things in science bringing one closer to God (or perhaps understanding God, which does bring one closer to God)... is not unusual. Often, people of faith LOVE to discover the processes in creation, as learning about those can help them see something about God.

Peace,

tammy

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Nothing in scientific enquiry has ever found anything remotely resembling this magical entity labelled 'spirit'. Scientific discovery has revealed how much of our consciousness is constructed (and also why when the brain is damaged our consciousness can also be modified.) Simple science is explaining that experience most commonly associated with the 'spirit' - consciousness. It is in conflict with your non-explanatory, unscientific faith based assertion that there is a mystical substance residing inside the structure of the body. No electron scanning microscope has ever found anything like this thing you made up.

Good example tec!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit