Dawkins Chapter 2 - Dogs, Cows and Cabbages

by KateWild 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Contempt is a pretty strong word

Yes it is. It is an accurate description of how I feel about superstition but not about people who are superstitious.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Are you SBF in disguise? - cofty

That is just a matter of perspective LOL! Kate xx

• tec
    tec

Well, that is for you to say, isn't it?

But it is not an accurate description of how I feel about science.

Maybe you should stick to talking about how you feel, and stop telling others how they feel?

Peace,

tammy

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

tec - if your faith could solve world hunger, heal the sick, protect the vulnerable, provide energy to power our lives and so on it would be worth following but unfortunately your faith hasn't (goodness knows it's been given enough opportunity.) In the meantime I and others will rely on scientific findings to increase crop yields, improve healthcare and so on. That's why , when people of faith try to hold their magic worldview up as better than the scientific one, they are challenged to prove themselves (they fail) and their faith is rejected as of equal value to modern day knowledge. Trying to pull the 'then they pick on us' card is just an admission of failure.

• KateWild
    KateWild

So without faith you wouldn't have any interest in science? Wow- Qcmbr

Nope. Putting words in my mouth. Actually I am interested in God and science. I have faith that is a fact, talking about my interests with out faith is irelevant and pointless. Take care love Kate xx

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

" I want to understand particle physics better, I feel it draws me closer to God as a creator and that is my motive to investigate science.""

• tec
    tec

I haven't set faith and science up as a competition, Q. Others are saying that these two things are in conflict. I have always said that they are not in conflict; that it is just the misunderstandings that men hold for one or both, that CREATE conflict, where truthfully no conflict exists.

And who said you can't follow science and live by that if you choose? Wasn't me.

And man more often than not does NOT follow Christ and God (too many who profess to be following them, only do so with their mouths, but their hearts are far from them). It is like if you learned from science how to fix this or that... and you REFUSED to do it... well, then that would be on you and not on the science, right? Same deal as to God. But Kate might prefer that this thread not be derailed into another of those threads.

Peace,

tammy

• KateWild
    KateWild

Qcmbr,

You quote mined me. Why do I want to understand particle physics better?

Its a cycle for me. Learn something----->understand a little----->desire to learn more------->Faith fits in at all pointsnts of my cycle------> Learn something new.

Kate xx

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

If your faith is in something in contravention of a scientific fact it is in conflict 'truthfully'. Many of your faith based assertions are in conflict with scientific understanding. You are not in agreement with much of what science has discovered.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Kate - I just read what you posted. If that wasn't what you meant then at least recognise why I would think you just said your motivation in studying science was based upon your faith in god. Faith is the exact opposite of what you described - faith does not fit into the cycle from a scientific POV. Faith posits some knowledge gained despite a lack of evidence and held in the face of conflicting information.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit