Interestingly disturbing!

by DS211 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DS211
    DS211

I work in the medical field and every 2 years i need 24 hours if continuing education to stay licensed. My deadline is coming up and I am taking the classes this week and next week. Heres the thing, i scheduled them both on sundays and ive procrastinated over this two year renewal period. So i told my wife about the second class and she says "but youll miss two meetings in a row!!!"

Me: "honey its ok i know i made a mistake in procrastinating but it has to be done, its close to home and will save us money"

Her: "thats bad! Youre going to miss two meetings in a row for a class?"

Me: "honey weve missed two conescutive meetings before so we could go on vacation or to see your family"

Her: or we were sick! But those are legitimate reasons!

ME: i think that going to these classes so i can keep my license and therefore continuing to be the head of household and taking care of my family is more important than missing a meeting for a family visit or vacation. I think Jehovah would forgive me for that rather than not provide wouldnt you?

her: well whatever im not going to make you feel any worse about it but dont let it happen anymore.

to me this just stresses the heavy loads the WT places on all who are involved with them. "Dont miss two meetings in a row or you may not survive armageddon. "

DS

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Mrs. DS211: dont let it happen anymore.

Wow, what a bitch!

She is definitely under cult, mind-control!

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Jesus! I promise to never go after your wife!

• DS211
    DS211

Lol thats mean but its just the irg talking...shes actually cool as hell

• Comatose
    Comatose

How could you think family visits are okay but required school for work is not??? Crazy talk.

• blondie
    blondie

It could be that women in the WTS have no status except through their husband. If jw husband's status drops or is in question....

This only shows that too many jw wives more often give the illusion of being in subjection...but really run things. I know some wives tried to mold themselves...

I knew elders that missed 2 meetings a week and traveled for their jobs. They said the went to local congregations on the road but Blondie knew people in those congregations...never saw them at a single meeting...I wonder what they were doing with the evenings? I even knew some that never went to a meeting when on vacation, 2 to 4 weeks in a row.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Meetings on vacation is crazy too! I never did that. I knew some did and thought they were crazy.

• Island Man
    Island Man

The organization has cultivated a fanatically extreme view of meeting attendance. "Not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together as some have the custom" translates to "Do not to miss a single meeting or assembly for absolutely any reason other than illness!"

Published experiences of Witnesses putting their jobs on the line or braving alligator infested rivers to get to their convention, do much to promote the fanatical obsession with not missing a single meeting. Such experiences make Witnesses feel guilty about missing a single meeting for an important reason such as you mention.

Did Paul really have in mind such extremism? Or was he simply discouraging absentism for trivial reasons or as a custom? Are two single meetings discussing material you've already heard before, more important than keeping your job so that you can continue to provide for your household? Does Hebrews 10:25 trump 1 Timothy 5:8?

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

DS211, Is your wife scared to be alone? If she goes to the KHall by herself, will she be treated like a see-through, nobody?

Or has the GB thoroughly indoctrinated her to have her "go bag" ready at all times because you never know when the Big "A" will strike?

Does your wife live her life in fear or in fear of what other's might think if you and she, are not sitting there at the KHall together?

Does your wife realize how hard you work for the family and what it would mean financially if you lost your job?

Possibly tell her to record the meeting for you and you will catch it later.

All the best.

LoisLane

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

It could be that women in the WTS have no status except through their husband. If jw husband's status drops or is in question....

absolutely! So true. The female pecking order in most congregations is almost totally dependent on the status of the husband.

I say almost, because I have seen strong women carve out their own area of authority over other sisters and even (unbaptised) male children.

But, even in other churches, I've seen (admittedly not a lot of experience) what appears to be something similar. The problem lies in the development

of male authority in the church. The early church may have had greater room for women to exercise their intelligence (which is often greter than a mans).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit