I Am Addicted To Chocolate ! ! !

by Stauros 33 Replies latest jw friends

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Hmmmm....... I love chocolate. I like cocoa truffles, or any good dark chocolate. I love chocolate chip cookies. I have a medical condition that causes me to have to restrict many kinds of food: alcohol, chocolate, anything acidic or spicy, most fruits, coffee, tea, soda, I am also gluten and lactose intolerant. I assumed that alcohol would be the hardest to give up, but it turned out giving up chocolate has been even harder. I plan out how much I can get away with, and save my cheats for only really good chocolate, no wasting it on Snickers.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

LisaRose, have you tried vegan chocolate? My daughter makes it since she went vegan over the summer. It's good mixed in vegan chocolate chip cookies. On its own, I would say it is an acquired taste :)

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I haven't tried it, but isn't real chocolate vegan anyway? I have seen carob used instead of chocolate, but it's been so long since I tried it I can't remember what it tastes like, I might try that. Mostly I have found its better to just stop eating the things I can't have, that way you stop craving them. I do occasional planned cheats, that seems to work, so I don't feel too deprived. At home it's not a problem, but eating out can be challenging, you don't always know what goes into things. I am usually safe having a salad, the dressing has a small amount of vinegar, but I can usually get away with that, there is a pill to take to take the acid out of food.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

So am I. I am lucky that I don't put on weight, so can eat as much as I like, which I do daily. I love Lindt Orange, and Cherry ripe or anything else with Cherry and liquor.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Ugh. Chocolate is naturally vegan. Unless you buy the cheap stuff that replaces the cocoa butter with a cheaper fat? Why do that?

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

I like Lindt Chilli as well oubliette................haven't tried it in coffee yet but will give it a go as it sounds great.

Lindt with Seasalt is lovely too.

Lidl's high % cocoa plantation chocolate bars are good too at £1.09 for a 100g bar.

I really didn't like Hershey's Kisses when I tried them, the 'chocolate' had a sicky taste about it.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I love every type of chocolate, any type of truffle is my fav, but I am a good girl and don't eat it everyday......I wish I could, but I can't-Kate xx

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

It's chocolate for the morning sun

It's chocolate till the evenings done

Eat it after every meal

Eat it anytime you feel

with chocolate there is no control

Just gobble up the candy bowl

• jgnat
    jgnat

I also must curtail my chocolate cravings. So I've learned to savour and take my time. No gobbling here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m61brQ52xV0

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My father would not let us eat any candy-it was a JW extension. No soda. No aluminum. No toys. So we rarely had any money. Sometimes our classmates would treat my bro and I to a Hershey's bar or a Chunky bar. Milky Ways. They tasted so heavenly. I outgrew the yearning with my idolatry of the Beatles and other more teen age things. My father died and we could partake at will. Calories counted.

After law school, I was hanging out around Rockefeller Center, waiting for a bus. It was cold so I wandered into a store to kill time. Teuscher's! of Switzerland. For one champagne truffe, I paid a fortune. I could have had about thirty Chunkys for one sliver of Teuscher's. They fly them the chocolates daily for the rich people. One sliver was all I needed. Now I hate the candy store/grocery stuff. I graduated to exclusive hotel chocolates. The calories were not a bother b/c the price was so high I could afford only a few bits. The expensive chocolate was very dark. I realized there was little chocolate in the Milky Ways, etc. Also, I think that as you age your taste buds change. Now I can almost puke with a Milky Way or Chunky.

My favorite hotel chocolate came from Belgium daily. It was not as sweet as Teuscher's. I left the Upper East Side. The nearest high end chocolatier was cross town. The feeding frenzy ended. Every Christmas and Easter I treat myself to some hotel chocolate. It has become available in more neighborhoods.

If I have no access to high end chocolate, I like Lindt dark chocolate truffles. Part of me wishes I could eat a Chunky bar and derive the old satisfaction. Is it me or does it seem to others that there is no moderate priced chocolate around? I see Hershey's, Twix, etc. or very expensive. Theo's is supposed to be good -- and American. There is good American chocolate. Teuscher's is too sweet for me now. I prefer bitter.

It is fun to pick out a few truffles and feel indulgent. Purists prob find my adoration of truffles disgusting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit