Categories of Former Jehovah's Witnesses

by neverendingjourney 51 Replies latest jw friends

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I was never disfellowshipped, but it's been about 10 years since I was an active JW. I've made an occasional meeting or half-day at an assembly here or there, strictly at the behest of family (maybe once a year), but I'm completely disconnected. More importantly, mentally I'm 100% free.

We all have a tendency to project our views and beliefs onto others, and tending to believe that other former JWs share our views is no different. I recently started thinking about this subject because I found a former "prominent" elder online who is clearly no longer a JW. He has a beard, a trendy haircut, and has pro-gay rights stuff on his facebook page. I sent him an email in an attempt to reconnect and let him know I was no longer a JW. The email went unanswered.

This isn't the first time this has happened. I reached out on facebook to a guy my age who was a pioneer around the same time I was. He later went to Bethel. Again, his facebook page made it clear he was no longer a JW. I reached out to him and got nothing back.

Not everyone who leaves the JWs behind is like me. I get that. I'm mostly over the mental baggage that the religion saddled me with. I realize none of it is true and enjoy having someone to talk to about it since there are so few people out there who are in the position to understand what I've been through. From my personal experience, though, I believe I'm in the minority. Most former JWs either never fully shed the indoctrination or don't care to rehash the past.

With that said, how many different groups of former JWs are there? I can think of four main groups.

1. People (mostly born-ins) who never bought into any of it. By the time they're adults they drift away and lead normal lives. They have very little interest in being part of the XJW community since they were never really a JW to begin with. It was something their parents forced them to do and they went on to lead their own lives as soon as they could. There might be converts who fit this description. Mostly people who converted to please family members or spouses, but who never embraced the religion fully. Once the marriage fell apart or once the family pressure subsided, they drifted away.

2. People who continue to believe that JWs have the truth, at least in some capacity, but they believe they are simply too weak and sinful to remain part of the organization so they give up and lead a "worldly" life because they're doomed anyway. Sadly, far too many of the kids I grew up with whom later drifted away fit into this category. A lot of them have been disfellowshipped multiple times. Sometimes they give up. But they're one terrorist attack or one natural disaster away from banging on the door of the kingdom hall. A good number of them sink into depression, alcoholism and/or drug use. They feel dirty, like they're not worthy of God's love.

3. People who decide to leave, whether because they mentally realized it was not the truth or because they lost the emotional/societal attachment, and don't want anything to do with the religion anymore. They realize they wasted a lot of years and don't want to waste any more time rehashing the past. Many of the people who fit this description try hard to hide the fact that they used to be JWs. Some don't hide it, but don't have a lot of desire to talk about it, either.

4. Similar to group 3, but the difference is disconnecting from the JWs was generally more traumatic. I consider myself a part of this group. A lot of people in this group suffered great trauma from realizing they'd been deceived. Discovering that the central premise in their lives was false left them with a huge emotional and spiritual void. They feel angry and confused and benefit from talking it out with like-minded people. Others in this group suffered great emotional or physical abuse at the hands of JWs. They realize that the true religion would not treat them this way and they seek the comfort of sharing their experiences with other. Many if not most in this group soon realize the lies inherent in the teachings and this becomes the final nail in the coffin of their attachment to the religion.

This is a possible explanation for why these people I've reached out to have not responded to my emails. Not every former JW is in Group 4. And even if these were Group 4 XJWs, maybe they didn't trust me. Perhaps they thought that I was a Group 2 and would eventually try to convince them to go back to "the truth." Or maybe they didn't want to risk the chance that I still have connections to the witnesses and I'd take what I learned about their lives and disseminate it among the nosy active JWs.

By no means do I believe that the above is a comprehensive list. What do you think? Am I missing other categories? Am I oversimplifying things?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I'm in Group 4. Great thread. I'll try and respond more later!

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I'd go for group 3 and a bit of G1

• Ding
    Ding

I think of it more as a spectrum than as distinct categories.

For example, I think some XJWs go back and forth in terms of what they believe, how much they blame on themselves, how angry they are, how much they so or don't want to talk about or even think about their experiences, and so on.

We need to cut each other a lot of slack.

Despite the similarities, each person has individual issues to work through and differing requirements for processing it all.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Excellent assessment! I believe you are onto something.

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

Good Post.

I forget about group 2 people. They do exist out there though. They need to come on sites like this to move to group 3 or 4 to get past the guilt.

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

I do not really like to think in boxes so I think, like Ding says, it is more a spectrum in which someone sometimes move from one quarter into another. You have some hardcore diehard xJWs that fit into categorie 4 but you may find the same zealousness in people that are in categorie 3.

I for example do not feel too traumatized by anything because I freed my mind myself. I did not feel a shock or something of that nature but DID believe the bullshit I have been fed for tens of years. I do not feel hardship to others that DO believe in it either. My zealousness for getting people out has changed a lot actually within a year and also my believesystem.

Maybe I am in the middle of the spectrum... the core of light hahahaha :D

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Great thread. I find myself in the 3 rd category. I relate to everything there except for the fact that I don’t try to hide it. I also don’t bring it up unless the opportunity presents itself. But I do like to tell others about the crazy things they never knew about the dubbies and explain how they are a cult.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Great thoughts so far.

Categories are just constructs to help us organize information. There isn't any truth inherent in the construct itself, it's just a tool to help us think about certain subjects.

The folks who've mentioned specturms, is the spectrum an anger/bitterness/trauma specturm? The angrier you are, the more likely you are to want to talk about your former religion?

I think there is certainly some correlation. The longer I've been out, the more I've healed, the less I'm on websites such as this one, but there are people who feel little to no trauma and enjoy talking about their experience. Conversely, there are highly-traumatized people who hold in a lot of anger and simply don't want to talk about it.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Born in - stayed in for social reasons, believed enough to convince myself and others that I was a good JW. Appointed an MS and then elder. Woke up, realised it was all total bollocks and left with a bang.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit