Categories of Former Jehovah's Witnesses

by neverendingjourney 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Watkins
    Watkins

I'm a 4, too, neverendingjourney. It was traumatic... guess it still is to an extent or I wouldn't still be posting on this forum...

I cried for months. Is there a particular PTDS for religion? 'Cause I think we've got it.

• factfinder
    factfinder

I'd say I am in groups 3 and 4. I left on my own and was shocked to find out the tatt but was not happy at the meetings and felt alone there.

I have no desire to be involved in any religion anymore.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I'm more in the category 4 too,although,I envy those in 3,who can just walk away and get on with their lives.

It's seems more difficult to do when one is still close to family still in,and they think you still believe as they do.

I've since reconnected with old friends and find they are in the first category. I find they never were much into the doctrine,and one really doesn't even know what Jehovah's Witnesses teach. I found this perplexing,since her father was the presiding overseer,now C.O.B.E.

There are subgroups too,lol. There are those who become activists and want to educate others about the Witnesses and their policies on blood and disfellowshipping. And then,those more like me,who just want to leave out the back door quietly.

Sometimes,I go through phases where I just want to forget it all. But,then,I realize,for a long time it defined who I was. And it was such a large part of my life. And until,I work through all the JW issues,I will never completely be free.

• DJS
    DJS

I suppose one could develop a lot of different categories, all of them having some relevance. The one thing I have noticed, which is also the one thing that keeps me from participating very much on this forum, is it seems like (too many IMHO) many ex JWs get stuck. The topics on this forum are a good example. Most of them have something to do with the WT, current teachings, scriptural 'meanings,' former teachings, etc., etc., etc. It would seem to me that upon exiting the WT a healthy individual would need a fairly short amount of time to put all of this (to me it is BS) behind them and move on. Perhaps they do and what I am seeing is the small group on its way to better things.

I lurked this site for a long time, but in the interim I was living life. Once I put the JW experience behind me the last thing I wanted to do was discuss scripture, JW teachings, etc. Ever. I still have a loathing for it; there is so much more to life. And some it seems want to recreate a new JWesque paradigm. Some proselytize, and the theist/non-theist discussions (I use the term loosely) are circular conversations which result in the same arguments and words being used. The theists, again IMHO, are entrenched. The reasons many JWs want/see/desire/need to recreate some version of the WT or Christianity escapes me.

So it would seem to me that HOW one arrived here (and by here I mean not only this forum but this post JW place in their lives) is not as relevant as WHY so many seem stuck and unable to move forward. The ONLY reason I finally signed up to participate is that I believed I could help others, lurkers and those recently out, to see that there is life post JW. Very full, fun, exciting mind blowing LIFE. Any help understanding would be appreciated, but please don't discuss imaginary friends in high or low places.

• bigmac
    bigmac

i tried reading that slab of words by judge judy---but gave up after 3 lines---do i need my eyes testing--?

if you come here again JJ--can you use paragraphs please ?

what was she on about ?

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

I'm in category 4, turned atheist. My study of the Bible turned me atheist before I realized the amout of mind-controlling BS the WTS threw at the rank & file.
    All of it cost me my family, and had a lot to do with my 2 heart attacks. I still hurt. Not just from the Borg, but from the toxic fairy tales of the Bible.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i don't fit into any category

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

I'm a 4 too, I think you covered it.

• bigmac
    bigmac

talking to my d/f son--now age 37--we re-established contact 3 years ago---he would be a 1 or 3--i know he wouldnt be on here--has left the past where it belongs.

me--i dont think i fit any of those 4 groups : i was bought up in it--age 9--dipped at 14 to please parents---left school early--pioneered--servant at 18. slowly realised i simply didnt believe in god or had any interest in any religion---and by 23 had mentally left the cult. but it took 10 more years to sever the ties that bind.

i only got involved with this xj scene in 2010 after i posted on another UK site asking for help in finding my d/f son.

i dont bother to read any posts on here if bible verses are listed or quoted. if people on here need that stuff in there lives then good luck to them. to me its pointless drivel.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

you sound very angry Judgejudy!, couple of things about myself; I'm certainly not confused my mind was made up when finding TTATT when I was still attending as an active JW 20 years ago, and in all that time I stepped into a KH once, and nor did I leave the WTS because I was desperate to be a "fornicator" I pay my taxes, insure my car, take regular medical checkups, put money into the car park ticket machine, and generally pay attention to every local bylaw/ goverment law that pops up in front of me, why is it that WT apologists like yourselves continue to make the most stupid sweeping gerneralizations?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit