New 1975? Jan 1st WT 2014

by notsurewheretogo 66 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

This post was taken from Reddit EXJW but makes a very good point:

These are two paragraphs of the Watchtower of January 1st 2014...

I don't know about you guys, but in my mind, I'm seeing a deja vu of the articles before 1975 I've read. They're outright saying that the old ass anointed people aren't going to die before the tribulation. And they even say, "these are advancing in years"... Have they decided yet again when this is going to happen? How much longer until they give a vague date? Here is the quote:

15 In his detailed prophecy about the conclusion of this system of things, Jesus said: “ This generation will by no means pass away until all these things happen. ” (Read Matthew 24:33-35.) We understand that in mentioning “this generation,” Jesus was referring to two groups of anointed Christians. The first group was on hand in 1914, and they readily discerned the sign of Christ’s presence in that year. Those who made up this group were not merely alive in 1914, but they were spirit-anointed as sons of God in or before that year. —Rom. 8:14-17. 16

The second group included in “this generation” are anointed contemporaries of the first group. They were not simply alive during the lifetime of those in the first group, but they were anointed with holy spirit during the time that those of the first group were still on earth. (implying that this second group are made up of pretty old people)

Thus, not every anointed person today is included in “this generation” of whom Jesus spoke.Today, those in this second group are themselves advancing in years. Yet, Jesus’ words at Matthew 24:34 give us confidence that at least some of “this generation will by no means pass away” before seeing the start of the great tribulation.

This should add to our conviction that little time remains before the King of God’s Kingdom acts to destroy the wicked and usher in a righteous new world.—2 Pet. 3:13.

Wow people. Is this some new understanding or something? Have they just decided to put a time when the end will come?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Today, those in this second group are themselves advancing in years.

Sanderson is only 47!

• St George of England
    St George of England

Has it ever been stated that Sanderson is in this second group?

I have always assumed he is, but this comment does raise doubts. He is anointed, he is on the GB, he is a member of the FDS, but is he in the second group?

I know it's all complete twaddle anyway but just thinking from a JW perspective.

George

• jhine
    jhine

I'm confused (again ) .Is the date of Jan 1st 2014 correct ? Are the Watchtowers available that far in advance ?

Will this Watchtower be available to the public ?

What happened to "No one knows about that day or hour " which the org seemed to have suddenly discovered in the Bible and now seem to have lost again ?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

They have really dropped a bollock (Britspeak for made a huge mistake) with this one, until you look at the motivation. First of all I thought, "How silly, they had paved the way for endless overlapping of the "generation", now they have put a finite time on it".

But the problem they had, as pointed out on here, JWN, and no doubt not thought about by the GB and the Writing boys etc until pointed out on here, the problem was, how to continue to motivate the R&F, and to stop a major drift away ?

So, the "End" cannot be that far away now, if someone like Sanderson is supposed to be in the second group, and depending on when he started partaking that could be a bit of a stretch, but he, or someone like him, has what,

30 or so years left at the most ?

This has achieved their purpose, explain the long time since 1914, keep 1914 as a date to mention now and again, and yet still be able to keep on about the need to do (read "give" ) more, because the "End is sooooo near".

The end is very near to the GB, the end is the arse they keep pulling this rubbish out of.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

They sound like they are patching old software.

• Black Sheep
  • Comatose
    Comatose

lol Bobcat. So true. Lets do some JW speculation. It used to be my specialty.

I have known partakers in their 30's. So Sanderson could be in the second group and in fact I'm sure he would tell you he was.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS uses October as their prophetic starting or end point.

October 607

October 1914

*** w12 8/1 p. 17 When Did Jesus Become King? ***

October October

607 B.C.E. 1914 C.E.

← 2,520 years →

*** w07 11/1 p. 24 par. 11 The Word of Jehovah Never Fails ***

What of our time? On Friday morning, October 2, 1914, Charles Taze Russell, who took the lead at that time among the Bible Students, strode into the dining room at Bethel in Brooklyn, New York. “Good morning, all,” he said cheerily. Then, before taking his seat, he joyfully announced: “The Gentile times have ended; their kings have had their day.” Once again, the time had come for Jehovah, the Sovereign of the universe, to act in behalf of his people. And act he did!

*** w90 10/15 p. 15 par. 1 Be Thankful—Jehovah’s Messianic Kingdom Rules ***

EARLY in 1911, the president of the Watch Tower Society, C. T. Russell, gave a series of Bible lectures in major cities of Europe. Commenting on that tour, Russell wrote the following in The Watch Tower, May 15, 1911: “We were surprised to find so many evidences of prosperity everywhere . . . Our readers know that for some years we have been expecting this Age to close with an awful time of trouble, and we expect it to break out with suddenness and force not long after October, 1914, which, so far as we can understand the Scriptures, is the date at which the Times of the Gentiles—the lease of earth’s dominions to the Gentiles—will expire; the time, therefore, when Messiah’s kingdom will be due to begin its exercise of power.”

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

In 1914, Jesus Christ—pictured as riding a white horse—was given his heavenly crown. He immediately went forth to complete the conquest of Satan’s wicked system. (Read Revelation 6:1, 2.) The descriptive prophecy in Revelation chapter 6 gave reason to expect that after God’s Kingdom was established, . . . (The Watchtower, January 15, 2014, page 28)

Yes, and in October 2914 Jesus will hand over a perfected human family to his Father, Jehovah.

Never mind, restauration to perfection will speed up (less than 900 years).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit