New 1975? Jan 1st WT 2014

by notsurewheretogo 66 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

"We understand that in mentioning “this generation,” . . .

There you have it.

Did you see it?

The magician with sleigh-of-hand has misdirected.

Those 2 little words.

A premise is sneaked in on top of which the shaky mess built higher and higher.

As always, the starting poing is a NEW PREMISE merely asserted.

Sort of like saing without saying, "As you know, Jehovahs gives us this stuff directly..."

Don't you want to scream, "Yeah, you ALWAYS say that. You're always having to change it, too."

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Well, if a good majority of the fervent JWs are baby boomers, plus or minus a few years, then the WTS better reach its target audience with "good" news of Armegheddon being close at hand.

I remember the publications in the 1980s, same lingo. But, then it was all tied to the "Generation that would never die (i.e. 1914's generation)". It was never the "Generation plus 1, that would never die."

Skeeter

• KateWild
    KateWild

I thought the first group of annointed were the ones in bible times. From the Corintians to the Hebrews. Weren't these congregations full of annointed Christians? In fact of this subgroup weren't the first group to be anointed the 3000 in 33 C.E. Then Cornelius was the in second group of anointed gentiles in 36 C.E.

Well if we are going to debate groups and sub groups should we not start in 33 C.E.? Do we have a modern day fulfillment of the subgroups now? Sanderson is the greater Cornelius.

In conclusion, how many subgroups are within the little flock? Anyone?

Lots======== my answer LOL!

Kate xx

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The largest part of the corruption of this religious organization is using coercive and deceiving doctrines to create their own

viability around themselves as god's personal spoken.

The men (GB) also know very well that if one person were to bring up any kind of questioning opposition to these doctrines

they would pulled aside and have a couple guys wrap some duct tape around their mouths and place them at the back of the Hall.

In reality the elders in the Kingdom Hals are the organization's own Sargent of Arms for these specific expressed doctrines.

Don't mess with the product is and always has been an operative agenda with the Watchtower Corporation.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

I agree that this article has been fabricated in an attempt to generate urgency. Having lived through the 1975 debacle, much of the same sword rattling was used back then. Some ask, "didn't they learn anything?" My answer, " Yes they did." It is my opinion that they learned that although close to 250K left after 1975 had come and passed ( as demonstrated in the 1977 yearbook figures I believe), many of those new converts stayed. They had been assimilated into the fold and many chose not to return to their previous lives or circumstances. Their commitment was later solidified by the "purge" from bethel later that decade and into the early 80's which moved many to reexamine their loyalty to the organization and the cause.

Many of those for whom this urgency building is intended have no recollection of 1975 nor the urgency that existed prior to its arrival. It is my opinion that they choose to either dismiss it as unimportant or categorically reject it as untrue rebellious ramblings of the disgruntled who chose to believe the "suggestion" that the end "might" come in 1975.

I expect that many will jump on board with this new idea and its accompanying urgency. They will build up the expectation in their minds like a child whose father tells them that if he's good he will take him to the amusement park. And so, another wild ride begins. Buckle your safety restraints and keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times! Enjoy your ride!

SOP

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

One must remember that the WTS. head executive writers (the GB) have all the time in the world to spin something up to make themselves

and the organization appear viable toward the general public as well their devoted members.

Its really their responsibility and self inherent profession as the leading heads of this publishing house.

Problem now is that their faced with the organization's long list of past doctrines that this organization has been

commercializing itself on, which were obviously creatively false but marketable doctrines nevertheless .

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

" We understand that in mentioning “this generation,” . . .

Terry really nailed the significance of this bit of rhetorical deception, but their is another significant point of manipulation that should be noted.

The "We" in "We understand" is of course the writer(s) of the article who presumably speak for the GB/FDS.

However, it is important to notice that when a typical JW reads this, he/she/it will understand the "We" to include themselves.

"We" becomes "me." Thus the average JW reads this and thinks: "I understand that in mentioning 'this generation' ..."

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

So, we've discarded the Millions now living will never die, to 2 Generations will never die.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

The WT is setting themselves up for another fall with this one. I thought the overlap idea had them off the hook, but no, now they have tied a definite time period to their prophecies again . They never learn.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

IMHO this article serves two key purposes, one of which is, as others have pointed out, to generate urgency and ensure a sense of imminence is the dominant position. Any who express caution about this will once again be marginalised.

The other key purpose seems to be to tackle the whole 1914-2014, 100 years thang. They are hitting it head on, celebrating the fact it's been 100 years. This undermines any seditious talk about the ridiculous nature of the whole affair. They are then tying the two together to basically try and ensure all the faithfull are 100% clear that the end is not just close, but really, really close. They, as usual, seek to do this without making any real commitment on timescale.

The reality is that most witnesses seem to operate quite happily with a 5 year timeframe. 1-2 years is too close if nothing matches the expectation (e.g. religion being turned on the UN). 4-5 years is close enough to feel like they don't have to worry about paying the mortgage off and they need to keep looking busy in WT activities. If you start going much beyond that then people will slack off.

I would expect more rhetoric over the next few months, perhaps up to and beyond the international conventions next year, that reinforces this take on the generations and 1914. I would not be surprised if it then calms down a bit otherwise they will be in danger of having to commit to something concrete. They can then sit back for a couple of years before having to work out how they are going to handle the lack of prophetic fulfillment towards 2019-2020.

Don't forget as well that they are planning on finishing Warwick in 2017/2018 so you are looking at a load of fanfare then. This in itself provides plenty of distraction and opportunity to say how Jehovah is making these things happen just in time for the big A.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit