What are you NOT allowed to say as a Jehovahs Witness?

by The Quiet One 81 Replies latest jw experiences

• tiki
    tiki

the use of the word "luck" or "fortune" in any way

"bless you" or "geshundheit" (as in post-sneeze)

any euphemism relating to god or jesus - such as "gee whiz", "geeze", "oh my god", "jeepers creepers", "good god", "good lord", "lordie", "cripes", etc etc......

then there was a time when it was okay to refer to worldlings as "goats" but then it changed when they decided that the sheep and the goats wouldn't be separated until a later time....plus you might view a potential witness as a goat and then find out they'd be a sheep and that would be wrooong.

then the changes.....they had colporteurs, but then they had to be called pioneers. you had company servants but then they had to be called congregation servants....and then they had to be called elders....and then there was a presiding overseer, but then he couldn't be called that he became a coordinator (i think - last i knew it was the PO) and then the circuit servant became a circuit overseer....and a back call became a return visit and incidental witnessing became informal witnessing somewhere along the line - and if you didn't keep up with the lingo you were labelled weak....not keeping up with that chariot.

• tiki
    tiki

oh and how can we forget - at christmas time - people say merry christmas to you and you have to say some idiotic thing like "have a nice day

EVERY day"...........same with birthdays.......so stupid. and one that always galled me was the totally hypocritical response when door-to-door and you'd meet a really irate hh and they'd blow you away immediately and you were supposed to smile sweetly and say "have a good day". omg.....i never did it, seriously - it was just tooooooooo much hypocrisy.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

It's not the "new system" anymore, is it? Aren't they supposed to say "new world" now? (Which I think they said in the past too.)

And it's no longer "the Society", it's "the organization".

• prologos
    prologos

It is not "the Society" said: it is the FADS said.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

I was not allowed to say anything out loud that I "could not bear" because Satan would use it against me when we are in the concentration camps during the great trib

• Gopher
    Gopher

Also, the JW's have a heap of old terminology they don't want their followers using any more.

Return visits once were "back calls". A meeting place for field service was called a "rendevous" in the 1970's.

There are no more district assemblies, only district conventions.

The congregation lead elder used to be called congregation servant, then presiding overseer. Now something else.

There are no more vacation pioneers, only auxiliary pioneers.

And if you are of the "great crowd" class you are not allowed to say Jesus is your mediator.

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

Charles Taze Russell was one of the faithful & discreet slave class.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I am from California and grew up in the 80's, so "oh my gawd" was a part of my lexicon. It was used so often, you did not even know you said it. One time, I was at a JW friends house as a kid, I was not even aware that I said it and I got a death stare from my friends mom. I was baffled until she told me what I said. Even then, I was not sure what did wrong.

In the last year, I think I said "damn it" at my parents house, and my dad told me not to use that word.

• Gopher
    Gopher

FirstLastName,

If you can't say "damn it", how do you describe what a beaver might do to a stream?

• bigmac
    bigmac

arse hole--?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit