What are you NOT allowed to say as a Jehovahs Witness?

by The Quiet One 81 Replies latest jw experiences

• Caupon
    Caupon

Yep. Yahweh is that phrase that definitely gets you noticed by any Russelite or Bethelite. It baffles jot how they feel that no one can be sure it was JEHOVA or YAHVEH. Yet they oppose anyone who prefers Yahweh, even when it is more likely God's true name.

• tiki
    tiki

jesus loves me

• Praise YaHuWaH
    Praise YaHuWaH

You are not allowed to Praise the True God by saying aHleleuWYAH (Hallelujah) which means Praise Be To YAH... Yet they will sing the song "PRAISE JAH WITH ME"...

Jah = Yah according to Websters there was no letter J prior to 500 years ago, it was Y which is why when you say Halleujah it sounds like aHleleuWYah.

They sure love their pagan god jeHovah (Strongs 1943 - hovah: meaning mischief; ruin)

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

A sister got in big trouble for naming her kid Hawkeye because as a native American name it was "pagan".

• frankiespeakin
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The Watchtower Corporation and the GB are not being guided by god they are being guided by themselves for themselves.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

You can't say funeral. It's a MEMORIAL.

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

If "I was lucky" is not proper to say, the opposite may is?!: "It was pre-determined!"

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

Sucks

I had an Elder go off on my brother for using that word. My brother simple stated "That sure sucks, Brother Elder" in response to the Elder lamenting about his pool being damaged. The elder told us the word "sucks" means "chewing of the male apendage"

I mean for real, where do they get this stuff from? I can understand now as an adult that the word could be offensive but really to think that was what my brother meant was ludicrous.

• LogCon
    LogCon

www.parkergun.org/new_page_63.htm “Tarnation!” reads the title at the bottom of the Aug 1922 National Sportsman cover.

“What in tarnation?” is one of a wide variety of euphemistic expressions of surprise, bewilderment or anger that arose in 18th and 19th century America. Perhaps due to our Puritan legacy, Americans were, during this period, especially creative in devising oaths that allowed us to express strong emotions while still skirting blasphemy.

Such inventions as “heck,” “drat,” “darn,” “gosh,” “jiminy,” [ as in Jiminy Cricket - Walt Disney had a dark side?] “gee-whiz” and “goldarn” were all devised to disguise exclamations that would have been considered shocking in polite society. “Sam Hill,” for example, is simply an early 19th century euphemism for “hell” (and while there have been many people named Sam Hill throughout history, the expression does not come from the name of any particular Sam Hill).

“Tarnation,” which dates back to the late 18th century, is an interesting example of this generation of euphemisms because it’s actually two euphemisms rolled into one word. The root of “tarnation” is “darnation,” a euphemistic modification of the word “damnation,” which at that time was considered unfit for polite conversation. “Darnation” became “tarnation” by being associated in popular speech with “tarnal,” an aphetic, or clipped, form of “eternal.”

It may seem odd that “eternal” would ever have been considered a curse word, but to speak of “the Eternal” at that time was often to invoke a religious context (God, Heaven, etc.), and thus to label something or someone “eternal” in a disparaging sense (“You eternal villain!”) was considered a mild oath. Shakespeare, for example, used “eternal” in this way in at least two of his plays.

So at some point someone, probably in a moment of exasperation, mixed “darnation” with “tarnal,” and we ended up with “tarnation.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit