a list of good movies/tv shows to get a JW to think

by nonjwspouse 48 Replies latest social entertainment

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

yay to all of you who came though for me in such short notice! I have a chance tonight to begin this. he is unsuspecting that I have any other motive than saying it seems to get good reviews.

:)

• Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile

Some favorites have already been mentioned. You'll want to be careful and not try and get him to watch these movies back to back. Intersperse other movies that are more lighthearted. If he asks why you want to watch a particular older movie just say that a friend or coworker was talking about the movie and it sounded interesting. My list would be:

1. Truman Show

2. The Village

4. Stepford Wives

5. 1984 (There is a decent film version) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four_(film)

6. Equilibrium

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

(bookmarking)

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

I don't really understand. Get a JW to think about what, exactly?

In a basic "us verses them" mentality (which the JWs bathe in), there is not going to be any connection placed in the mind to get anyone to "think" properly or any momentum. Movies like the Villiage and The Island (orig. Parts: The Clonus Horror) depict people being decieved about reality. In the Witness mind, this doesn't apply to them as they feel they aren't decieved... but it would aooly to EVERYONE ELSE.

"A village where people are lied to as a means of control and suppression? That's exactly what Satan does!"

Truman Show is metaphoric... but again, not to them in their head. If you have a friend who is potentially so easily persuaded to "think" via a Hollywood movies then (1) you might consider getting new friends, and (2) do him a favor and be upfront with him... talk to him instead of being sneaky about it.

Or at the very least, show him any number of documentaries on the bible from the History Channel.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Not to rain on the parade, but I have to agree with BackseatDevil. When I saw movies like "The Truman Show" and "The Matrix" as a Witness (whoops, I was a bit naughty), they didn't "make me think". If anything, as BD indicated, the movies will just represent the rest of the world. They're the ones with the wool pulled over their eyes, to a JW. The evolutionists and the believers in Babylon the Great and all the rest are the victims of a grand conspiracy by Satan. It's already a Matrix-like world that the Witness lives in on a daily basis.

• jgnat
    jgnat

TV Shows, TLC's Breaking Amish. Hubby watched a couple episodes with me, now he won't. Most effective, the producers would flash a scripture, and hubby would agree. Then the show would demonstrate how this was literally applied by the Amish. Then hubby got really quiet. Zing!

• Nathan Natas
  • rmt1
  • Comatose
    Comatose

The Life of Pi

great movie and interesting hidden message

• mindnumbed
    mindnumbed

Unfortunately, JW's don't think until they are ready. I also watched the movies listed, they did nothing for my JW thinking while fully in. Once I "woke up" they resonated. I have since tried to use these tactics on my wife, so far no effect at all. That's just my experience, not necessarily the rule.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit