a list of good movies/tv shows to get a JW to think

by nonjwspouse 48 Replies latest social entertainment

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

The movies may not create a "click", but certainly will allow for the start of a conversation.

I told my mom about the movie, and asked her about the red pill/ blue pill. At first, she said she preferred the blue pill. When I expressed shock, I said, so... you would like to not know, for example, if my dad got an illness, or would you rather know and DEAL WITH IT?

Then she said, immediately, OF COURSE I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW! I would like the RED PILL!

=)

SUCCESS!!

I just have to one day actually connect the dots.... but she KNOWS in her mind that no one likes being deceived. She thinks most would take the red pill...

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple (2006)

• OneDayillBeFree
    OneDayillBeFree

Words Apart (2008 Danish film based on the true story of an ex-JW named Tabita, starting from when she was a JW to falling in love with a non jw and the events that lead up to her losing her religion and becoming an atheist).

• rory-ks
  • Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

The Lego MOvie - no seriously it is a bout a compliance Lego Man who rebels against and escapes the rigid structure and rules of his world created by the evil Mr Business- my wife sat through it and I doubt the anlaogy oocccurred to her.

• zakharijah
  • Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I saw the Truman show years before I woke up from my JW slumber and it troubled me deeply in a way I couldn't quite put my finger on (see my avatar!). Looking back my brain was screaming 'this is your life!' even though it was a while before the message got through. Films and books can draw useful parallels for JWs, reading 1984 was a similar experience for me.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Recently watched episode 12 of season 3 of Star Trek:Enterprise "Chosen Realm". My kids instantly picked up on how similiar the WTBTS was with the religious fanatics in this episode. The 10 year old was saying things like "This is just like at the Kingdom Hall" and rolling the eyes. Both of the kids watching said "Dad has got to see this"!

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

One day

Words Apart (2008 Danish film based on the true story of an ex-JW named Tabita, starting from when she was a JW to falling in love with a non jw and the events that lead up to her losing her religion and becoming an atheist).

I just watched that entire movie on youtube. It was very good.

The other night we watched irobot and it was his second time watching but he didn't remember much of it. I found a lot of times to insert the fear of free will by those "in charge" of the robots. The free will and critical mind excersized by the Will character getting him in trouble with "his organization" rebellion.... Then the end of the movie, destroying the cold emotionless, "trying to help/save you" mind controlling robot Niki, so then the robots were left to discover their purpose in life, their own free will. I made sure to comment each time I saw a scene that had this type of theme. He seemed to be facinated by that. For whatever that is worth.

Maybe it just SEEMS like his JW roots are so deep because he sounds convincing when he specifically speaks about it. The tactic taught to all JWs , speak convinvingly even when you don't know what you are talking about. I noticed tthat tactic in him many years ago and began calling him on it. He agreed way back then it was misleading and he shouldn't do that.

Well,, I can hope anyhow. circles.......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit