a list of good movies/tv shows to get a JW to think

by nonjwspouse 48 Replies latest social entertainment

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

BSD we are not watching in silence. I comment. My comments to the three twilight zone shows tonight were of the absolutly curlety of the denial of close family and friend human contact. I brought up russian oprhans that would die in orphanages when not held. " where did everyone go" the first ever TZ episode 1959

The story of the hypochondirac man who sold his soul to the devil for eternal life on earth, and never to age or be harmed, I commented on how the mans actions after that were without care, or empathy, or goodness because he sold his soul to the devil for eternal life on earth, never to grow old. He killed his own wife with no emotion. What I didn't mention was that In my mind his is a bit of a parellel to selling your "soul" to the WT and losing empathy, and care about your family unlress catering specifically to your needs (WT needs)because the WT traines you to do so.

Anopther episode, one man snuck away into a bank vault to reading his precious books in lunch break when an atomic bomb hit. Eventually, he was about to kill himself because of the lack of human contact anywhere, ( even his vile wife that destroyed his books) and then he found a pile of library books, his love and passion in life, and he finally had allthe time in the world to read, then his glasses broke and he was blind. " this is so unfair" he cried. My comments," look at all the time he wasted in his life putting up with all the abuse, and then when his imagined paradise to read all he wanted as long as he wanted came, it was all for nothing."

wasted.

I try hard to plant seeds

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

Honestly, I think the bigger issue here is that you talk during shows...

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

The Village

Shawshank Redemption (mainly ex-jW's will get the references in this film but to the right JW its possible to see some correlation)

And just a few days ago I watched "Religulous" A documentary film dealing with many types of religion, hosted and narrated by Bill Maher.

Even though it doesn't mention JW's, the part near the end about Mormons is eerily similar to WT Org.
    Notice the ex-Mormons for example and how they are treated.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

The Village. But I agree that JWs won't get it. I would never have understood this movie as relating to my belief system until I had already escaped.

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

Also, 'planting seeds' might not be the best term to use on this... LOL.

So, in reality, I think this seems like a slightly manipulative effort toward something that has no return (kind of). I mean, if he is a good Witness, no seeds would be planted. If he's not, then there are better (and easier) ways to go about this.

In attempting to concentrate on application, you might be missing the bigger picture that could possibly lead to a more productive oppritunities for his advancement away from the organization. For example in the Twilight Zone episode with the hypochondriac, there are A LOT of different themes going on. Yes, you can make the link between selling your soul to the devil and selling your soul to the WT, but there are themes of arrogance, preoccupation with one's self, presumptuousness, and the reality one must face when they live in a fantasy world. ALL of these apply to JWs.

However, if I were in your shoes (personal opinion), I would probably mention the differences between this and the Faust story on which this episode was based. Whereas the hypochondriac was high-strung and stressed upon making a deal with the devil, Faust did so out of boredom. But in both cases the journey of human emotion is displayed with this constant struggle to maintain “thrill” or importance. Making a deal with the devil is not the worst part of the story. The worst part of the story is the numbing power of arrogance and the box it puts us in... and have a discussion with him on that.

In this way, your are displaying something he is not allowed to experience: A greater understanding of human connection through literature NOT produced by the WBTS. I don't know if I'm getting this across successfully or if it even makes sense, but I guess the point is that if you really want to get him to think, don't point out the obvious in TV shows or movies... get to the gut of it and show him a few layers he perhaps wouldn't normally see. It is in those layers that are discouraged by the WBTS that will get him to think with more traction.

Hopefully. I think. I don't know, it's just a suggestion.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Why not go for the jugular and suggest the Danish movie "Worlds Apart"

George Orwells " 1984" was made into a movie many years ago , I remember their were two versions with different endings .Maybe it can be picked up at a video store ? or maybe its even on the net. I think Jan Sterling was the actress ,I cant be certain.

smiddy

• glenster
    glenster

Hard Day's Night" or whatever favorite movie. Then while they're in a happy mood suggest they read my expose. http://glenster1.webs.com/gtjbrooklynindex.htm

Possible related conversation: Screenshots of "Half -Life 2" are found throughout the article. How is Dr.Breen like the JW's leaders and what are some good points about Gordon Freeman?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUjfDwzbVzI

• glenster
  • Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Well, I can think of one or two that deal with shunning - that most witnesses may not 'get'...

The Jazz Singer (1980) - Neil Diamond - deals with shunning, by the father - just because the son grows up and chooses to follow a singing career instead of remaining a staunch jew.

Fiddler on the Roof 1971) - three daughters that go their seperate ways - one is shunned for her choices.

Witness (1985) - Harrison Ford (any movie with him in it is good) - about an Amish woman that is outcast by the community when she pairs up with an outsider (Harrison) - there's more to it, but it has to do with shunning in a small Amish community.

The ironic part is that I have seen these movies with family members who are JWs. They will comment on how harsh these people in the movies are for their shunning practices... yet they do not see that they themselves do it to disfellowshipped witnesses.

Movies are very powerful, and can evoke emotions. If used properly, they can also be used to show how JWs also practice the same things as seen in the movies.

Regards,

Jim TX

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

BSD,

Ok contrary to what it must sound like I do not tolk constantly through the shows haha . Manupulative, yes, and it is not in my personality naturally so I have had to struggle with trying to do this type of thing correctly. I am trying because I want to save both my husbands emotional health, and our marriage. I see a dangerous train approaching and want to get us out of the way, but he must willingly want to walk away from the track.

I began with this idea of watching shows when I ran across the Obsolete Man, knowing my husband likes the TZ and showed him all the "likes" on that episide on youtube, so we watched it. Powerful, and he really liked it. I didn't say anything while watching, but commented later on the hypocricy presented, information control, and how the tables got turned on the highy arrogant man in power.

Your topics of suggestion are similar to what I was pointing out, however I am not quite so brilliant in narrating as you are. ( I so enjoy your written word) The hypochondriac story I did comment on his inability to focus on anything or anyone but himself, the destructive nature of arrogance. My husband himself brought up the factor of him being bored as soon as he could never be hurt or die.

Through each of these stories I would get in some underlying points. He actually remembered long ago watching the story of the man alone in the world after the atomic bomb and finding the library, the man's personal "paradise", but interestingly forgot the ending, where the man broke his glasses.

I know there are more productive ways to "plant seeds". I am going about this in every single avenue I can find. I take the opportunities as they present themselves. I have no idea what he will think about them himself. That is the frustrating part for me. I just can't know how his mind will prossess these type things.

Is he a good dub? That's a good question. His mind is solidly indoctrinated even though he was never baptised, yet he stopped going to meetings or studies for more than a year now, was very sporatic before and now stopped returning any texts from his study partner for a month. He does not read any WT materail at all anymore unless it is in a secret way. ( which I doubt) So although the door to his returning to the JW is there in his mind, the only hope of his not walking through that door is for him too see the doubts. Doubts he had to have when he left for 30 years. Doubts he has locked away into a "box' he isn't opening, or doesn't want to open.

I am so out of my league when it comes to this JW control.

Thanks Stonewall. I will check those out too. I doubt he will go for relegioulous, but who knows.

Smitty thanks, Worlds Apart is not one I have seen. I have 1984 in the house, reread it again and have been mentioning how I had forgotten good it is to my husband. Interestingly, he used to read books a LOT, years ago. All fiction. But now he will only read something at the table while eating, or a handyman magazine article. It might be his lack of time, but I'm not really sure of the reason.

My request last night for both of us together to create written priorities, and goals, weekly, monthly and then yearly, and to tackle them a day/week at a time was very much welcomed by him. I stressed that we might not make a goal at a pre determined time but not to ever feel faliure about it, we would just keep working toward the selected goal. Life happens. We don't have control over some things so thats ok. I fully believe this inability of his to prioritize and plan his day is a huge part of his stress. He feels like a failure many times. It was also a big step that he allowed me to "help" him by suggesting, and him accepting the suggestion. Hopefully this will be building his confidence, allow him to create time for what he feels he is missing with his child, his hobby, even to read books again, and improving his ability to see and plan what he wants for his own future.

Thanks Glenster, I'll check those out as well.

I appreciate so much all the helpful suggestions and things to think about. This idea is but one of many to various ways to hopfully plant seeds. Kind of like scattering a handfull hoping a few take root.

I won't overdo the movie / tv thing. I just want ideas for when the opportunity presents itself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit