A Manual for Creating Atheists by Peter Boghossian

by cofty 188 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Sounds like a religion

How can encouraging people to value evidence and reason be anything like a religion? That's not a rhetorical question by the way.

• Night Owl
    Night Owl

Why do you care that people believe in God?

NightOwl

• cofty
    cofty

A world without superstition would be a better one.

• suavojr
    suavojr

I do care when I see my loved one making poor decisions and suffering because of delusions and myths.

• cofty
    cofty

Why do you care that people believe in God?

It's actually a strange question on a forum for people who have had their families, friendships and careers destroyed by people who order their lives around superstitions.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Believing in God is fine with me if it goes no further than believing in things like love and compassion towards all people. When you start believing that there's a specific "truth" possessed by one person or group, that's where the door opens to all kinds of nonsense that harms the believer or the people he thinks are not as enlightened as him.

• cofty
    cofty

Believing in God is fine with me if it goes no further than believing in things like love and compassion towards all people

I'm not aware of any connection between those two things.

• Night Owl
    Night Owl

So it's out pure kindness, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

NightOwl

• Night Owl
    Night Owl

Let people believe whatever they want, and quit trying to control them.

NightOwl

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

cofty, people intrinsically need someone to look up to as a model. It's our fate as social animals. So if they believe that God is love or they admire the example they feel was set by Jesus and want to imitate the kinder aspects of them, I think it actually helps them to be a better person. It's been demonstrated in a scientific study that people behave better when they believe they are being watched. Thus you can simply view belief in God as a way of maintaining a model of desired behavior.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit