A Manual for Creating Atheists by Peter Boghossian

by cofty 188 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Twitch
    Twitch

People with an atheistic ideology can be very dominating and arrogant.

People with a theistic ideology can be very dominating and arrogant.

Is this counter point valid?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

The one thing that stuns me about some atheists is the intellectual arrogance that some blatantly display when they are near theists. It's as if they can't help themselves than to over and over attempt to demonstrate the superiority of their assertions by demeaning the faith of the believers rather than simply stand by the intrinsic validity of their ideas. They act as intellectual bullies with an evident measure of egotism and a skewed, boastful sense of grandiose about the fundaments of their cognitions.

I'm sure that my acessment above will be met with prompt reactions that will match my description above, which will end up proving my point.

And you know what's more interesting? Due to my work, I've had the privilege to be around some very brilliant scientists. I won't mention names, but some of them are in the forefront of biomolecular and microbiology research, they run research labs, and publish papers in the most respected scientific publications in the world. When the topic is theism, although they are skeptic about the subject, they are at the same time RESPECTFUL of the beliefs of theists, and they don't talk down condescendingly their theist interlocutors nor attempt to dislodge their beliefs by intellectually bullying them. That's how it should be.

The problem is when some start vieweing the likes of Dawkins as their super-hero, taking on a mission to defeat the evil dark hordes of theists. It just gets to their heads, and they stop acting like reasonable human beings and enter "kill-crush" mode, having the argumentative finesse of a nazi panzer division. This isn't helpful.

It's true that many theists are idiotic, but rationalism doesn't prevent anyone from being an ass either.

Eden

• cofty
    cofty

Eden - In my "real" life I never discuss theism with believers. I'm kind, respectful and tolerant.

This is a religious discussion forum. It's where people with different opinions exchange ideas, discuss evidence and challenge each other to examine their beliefs.

Invariably the atheists thrive on these challenges while the theists whinge about their hurt feelings.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Cofty, naturally this is an arena where people exchange thoughts and challenge each other. But there are ways and ways to engage into that. I'm glad that in your real life you don't thrive on cofteism, otherwise I don't know how you would even have a social life. And this isn't about hurt feelings, it's about tolerance and being civil to each other, that's all. If I was in the UK I would be delighted to invite you and/or cantleave for lunch.

[Edit: One at a time ]

Eden

• cofty
    cofty

it's about tolerance and being civil to each other, that's all.

That's strange. I make it a point to attack bad ideas but never to attack people. In return I frequently get personally attacked and insulted by angry theists.

I dont's whinge about it though, I prefer to stick to discussing the evidence.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

QCmbr: We need atheism to free people

Since when theism has stopped people from learning about the universe and how things really work, without resorting to magical explanations? Per your assertion, there would be no theist scientists. Do you think science started with atheism? That's the kind of dogmatic statement that reveals the worst kind of intolerance, and you confuse theism with religion.

The true breaktrhough was when science and theism realized they were about two different fields of knowledge.

Eden

• cofty
    cofty

Eden - around two thirds of Americans beleive in a young earth because they value superstition before science.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Coftly, maybe you don't realize it, but often you attack bad ideas by implying that the person entertaining them has some kind of defective brain - otherwise, how could a "normal" person entertain such ideas? That's not only bad psychology, makes you come across as an intolerant person.

Eden

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

around two thirds of Americans beleive in a young earth because they value superstition before science.

If scientists could explain to those people that accepting evolution doesn't imply accepting the inexistence of God, perhaps many of those would be willing to revise their belief. I know that because I've been there. The problem is the "this or that" choice that is usually served to the masses. Are you surprised that many chose to go with superstition? Because science fails to explain the inner experiences of faith that many people have. That massive black hole scares people, and throws them into a trench, where they refuse to investigate any further evidence. Besides, science hasn't got the best track record when it comes to ethics either, so why go with the monster you don't know? Better stick with the one you are familiar with.

Eden

• cantleave
    cantleave

If scientists could explain to those people that accepting evolution doesn't imply accepting the inexistence of God, perhaps many of those would be willing to revise their belief.

Eden scientist do explain this, if people don't read what the scientist say, because "it aint written in the bible", is that our fault?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit