A Manual for Creating Atheists by Peter Boghossian

by cofty 188 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

They don't. They say substantial things and back it up with objective evidence. The illustrations are only teaching tools.

With believers, illustrations and metaphors are all there is.

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

A religious believer who becomes an etheist; he/she change his/her belief to another one.......

After this statement Cofty will attack me again

• cofty
    cofty

Mr Fool - Why is it that you claim you are being attacked when somebody respectfully disagrees with you?

• tornapart
    tornapart

EdenOne:- However, to set oneself for the goal to destroy the sense of spirituallity, the sense of connection to someone and something greater than ourselves, that is to kill something within us that makes us being uniquely humans. To "kill" God is to kill also part of our humanity.

• bohm
    bohm

Eden: Jgnat linked the material I wanted to give you, google "human universals". Pinker has written some on it.

However, to set oneself for the goal to destroy the sense of spirituallity, the sense of connection to someone and something greater than ourselves, that is to kill something within us that makes us being uniquely humans. To "kill" God is to kill also part of our humanity.

If only someone had told this to the early christian church when they killed Zeus and the other hellinistic gods...

RIP zeus. a part of humanity died with you.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Surrounded, as I am, with all sorts of irrational thinkers and true believers, I think that helping anyone develop critical thinking is a good goal. Asking questions, demanding proof, thinking things through and learning to separate sentimentality from reason, all good goals. I'd love to learn how to talk to the true believers around me, not to challenge their beliefs but to get them awake enough to do it for themselves.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

If only someone had told this to the early christian church when they killed Zeus and the other hellinistic gods...

I'm sure you haven't missed the fact that I wasn't talking about any God in particular, but the "divinity", whatever it may be for anyone .... right?

Eden

• bohm
    bohm

I'm sure you haven't missed the fact that I wasn't talking about any God in particular, but the "divinity", whatever it may be for anyone .... right?

Tell that to Zeus wife!

God(s) is being KILLED! This is like how humanity dies a little whenever a child stop believing in SANTA!

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Hera was Zeus' wife ... also his sister ... ehmmm .... incest, anyone? Here we go again ....

Eden

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

You provide no rest or spiritual refuge and so you defeat

your own purpose, which is to provide a way out to sincere

hearts, seeking a way to worship without the WT, and feel safe

you all make it unsafe for them by mockery and your own

brand of shunning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit