A Manual for Creating Atheists by Peter Boghossian

by cofty 188 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

People with faith in science can be very irrational and very arrogant.

• cofty
    cofty

Our board faithful are blind to their own anti social tendencies because they are not in power. A simple belief in 'love','light', 'truth', is only a few steps away from censoring the media, vigilante purity patrols, imprisoning vocal critics, enforced conversion and stonings - Qcmbr

I agree. History proves that when people of faith get power, and they are not restrained by secular laws the result is tyranny.

• cofty
    cofty

Mr Fool - Science does not require faith.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I agree. History proves that when people of faith get power, and they are not restrained by secular laws the result is tyranny.-cofty

Well said, power corrupts, absolute power corrups absolutely!

Having said this, its not just people of "faith" in my view. Look at Hitler, Starlin, and many more Politicians

Kate xx

• cantleave
    cantleave

Ideology and faith can both be as dangerous as each other when used by people who are intent on controlling others.

• Laika
    Laika

Kate,

You've missed the gospel of militant atheism. If a religious leader is not a tyrant it's because he's not really that religious or because he's restrained by secular laws. If an atheist leader like Stalin is a tyrant it's because he's not a true atheist but just belongs to some other kind of non theistic religion.

If this seems contradictory it is because you are just not rational enough yet.

• cofty
    cofty

Laika - You miss the point.

Being an atheist tells us very little about a person. It simply means a lack of belief in god.

Stalin didn't beleive in god but he was fanatically irrational and an enemy of science. Google "Lysenko" if you want evidence.

When people allow religion to influence their use of secular power it always ends in tyranny.

What we need is leaders that are rational and base their decisions on evidence and reason.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"When people allow religion to influence their use of secular power it always ends in tyranny."

I find it difficult to think of an exception to that, perhaps one of the English Kings, who actually was considered weak because of his generally good governorship. (I cannot remeber which one that was, it was a long long time ago).

" What we need is leaders that are rational and base their decisions on evidence and reason."

Amen to that, it would make a pleasant change from the long line of megalomaniacs and buffoons we have had so far.

• Laika
    Laika

I agree, all religious people are either idiots or moral monsters or probably both. Until we have leaders who understand this there is no hope for humanity.

• cofty
    cofty

Do you invent these strawman arguments because you have no response to what others actually said?

Did you look up Lysenko to see how lacking belief in a deity is not the same thing as being rational?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit