A one sentence reply that could jolt a JW

by HBH 60 Replies latest jw friends

• vangogh
    vangogh

sorry, I meant Michael the archangel created the heavens and the Earth, . also, you are the people who baptise people in the name of the Father, Michael the Archangel and the Holy Spirit...

• Terry
    Terry

WHY is there no advantage at all to a Jehovah's Witness if they should know ahead of time the Society is teaching an untruth?

Why is it only a terrible disadvantage? Why should loyalty to men who get it wrong in the name of Jehovah be the goal rather than telling the facts?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

stillin, sorry. I have no idea who the people are in the picture. I copied this from a previous thread. The image address is:

The website is apparently for a Real Estate company in Virginia.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" Give me an example of a Watchtower teaching that is unique to the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society that is demonstrably TRUE."

(From Terry's seven things thread, thanks terry).

• vangogh
    vangogh

maybe it wont be too long before, JW's are baptised in the name of the Father, the govering body and the Holy Spirit, the GB have put themselves into that position in anycase anyway, it is only a matter of time. JWs do 'worship' them even though they wont admit it but the JWs have elevated them, in their minds, onto a plateaux above us all .

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Why does this religion place so much emphasis on the VISIBLE activity on its adherents (meeting attendance, field service, etc.) when the entire belief system is based on the unprovable idea that Jesus Christ is INVISIBLY present and leading the organization and has been for the last 99 years?

It's quite ironic, no?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

There is a thought from the O.D book ( can't find it now) about trusting the Faithful Slave!! It basically says, " If Jesus trusts the "Slave" enough to appoint the slave over all the belongings, then we should trust the slave. So the question would be.

1) Our main reason according to the O.D book for trusting the FDS is because Jesus trusted them enough to place them over ALL his belongings, right?

2) What is our main reason for trusting them NOW? ( You could also add that they "evidently" did not know who they were for 93 years)

It could go anywhere from that point.

DD

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Data-dog, that's a great point!

Here's my take on that very important issue:

In 2005, the Watchtower publication, Organized to Do Jehovah's Will (OD), gave us this powerful reason for trusting the “Faithful and Discreet Slave” (FDS):

WHY TRUST "THE FAITHFUL AND DISCREET SLAVE"

There are many reasons to have complete trust in the slave class. First and foremost, Jesus has appointed them over all his precious "belongings." This is a clear indication that he has complete trust in them. - OD, p. 18 – [Italics in original]

That sounds really good, doesn’t it? Confidence inspiring, isn’t it? Or at least it seemed that way for the last 7 years or so.

Unfortunately, the recent "New Light" about the identity of the Faithful Slave has revealed a serious problem with this reason for trusting them. What is that? Consider this point from the very Watchtower article that explains this “New Light” explanation of the FDS, the July 15, 2013, Watchtower Study Edition:

WHEN DOES JESUS ARRIVE, OR COME?

A further consideration of Jesus’ prophecy indicates that an adjustment in our understanding of the timing of certain aspects of Jesus’ prophecy is needed. … So it is reasonable to conclude that Jesus’ arrival to appoint the faithful slave over all his belongings, mentioned at Matthew 24:46, 47, also applies to his future coming, during the great tribulation. 1 - Watchtower, July 15, 2013, p. 8, paragraphs 17 & 18 – [Italics in original]

Whoa! Did you catch that?

The primary reason that we were given in 2005 for having "complete trust" in the Faithful and Discreet Slave has now been taken away from us. The reason for that trust was based on an event that has not yet happened! When we shine this "New Light" on the "Old Light" we find that the most important reason we were ever given for trusting the FDS doesn't exist, at least not yet, not now in the present. I guess we'll just have to wait until the Great Tribulation and see if Jesus actually does appoint them over his belongings to know if we can really trust them or not.

In the meantime, I think I'm going to proceed with caution and a healthy dose of skepticism.

Of course, most active JWs have only just learned about this “New Light.” How the masses react remains to be seen, but I predict a non-event as the majority of JWs have had all their Critical Thinking skills removed by the psychic surgery of WT indoctrination.

By the way, have you noticed that every time the WT publishes an "adjustment in our understanding" in an attempt to solve one problem with doctrine it usually ends up creating more problems? Why do you suppose that is? What does this mean?

1 - See also the Annual Meeting Report, November 9, 2012 on the official jw.org website where this important doctrinal change was first announced publicly. Under the subheading, When Does Jesus Appoint the Slave “Over All His Belongings”?, we read: “Jesus’ appointment of the “slave” over his “belongings,” then, must also be a future event. He will make that appointment during the great tribulation.” <http://www.jw.org/en/news/events-activities/annual-meeting-report-2012/>

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Oubliette,

I love that one! You could also mention that God's word tell us what a "generation" is. So there was really no need for the WTBTS to ever wonder at the meaning, or flip-flop several times. The just read Job 42:16.

16) And Job continued living after this a hundred and forty years and came to see his sons and his grandsons—four generations. 17 And gradually Job died, old and satisfied with days. Job> His Sons> His grandsons ( including what we would call great-grandsons)= 4 generations. Not one "overlapping" generation. DD

• Dagney
    Dagney

"I was taught to search for the truth my whole life. That has not changed."

Stops them every time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit