Are you religious or are you spiritual? Wake up to what?

by Deltawave 113 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Deltawave
    Deltawave

So you don't think we would benefit from

1. Gratitude instead of jealousy
    2. Giving more than we take
    3. Love our neighbours as ourselves

Or such like Woo ideas then??

• Viviane
    Viviane
    So you don't think we would benefit from
    1. Gratitude instead of jealousy
    1. Giving more than we take
    1. Love our neighbours as ourselves
    Or such like Woo ideas then??

Wow, interesting way to pretend I was saying those weren't good ideas when in reality, I've never made such a claim.

More dishonesty... yep, you're being religious for sure.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Muhammad ... stood against religion - he did (against paganism and polytheism), but he also started a new religion - Islam.

Jesus of Nazareth started Christianity; Buddha started Buddhism.

Muhammad, Jesus and Buddha are associated with their respective religions.

All humans , even atheists, are spiritual in that they have a sense of right and wrong, have culture, see beauty in art, etc. but your OP doesn't do a particularly good job in separating religion and spirituality.

I do agree with you, though, that underlining the latest watchtower is not being spiritual.

• cappytan
    cappytan

Deltawave: Spirituality is a misnomer for what you're talking about.

What you're talking about is just being a principled and decent being.

Now, if you believe in something beyond the synapses and neurons in our brain, you're talking about religion again.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    All humans , even atheists, are spiritual in that they have a sense of right and wrong, have culture, see beauty in art, etc. but your OP doesn't do a particularly good job in separating religion and spirituality.

That's not being "spiritual" at all. You don't get to define me in terms of woo.

• Deltawave
    Deltawave

Viviane, we seem to be at odds here. I'm sorry you disagree with my views. I am not implying you don't value those ideas. I merely wish to point out that what those inspiring people aimed to teach us was to display qualities that are essential to humanity and that religious dogma has no real place in spirituality.

Take care xx

• cappytan
    cappytan
    That's not being "spiritual" at all. You don't get to define me in terms of woo.

Can I just ask, what the hell is "woo?" I thought it was a typo earlier in the thread.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Viviane, we seem to be at odds here. I'm sorry you disagree with my views.

We're not "at odds" or "disagreeing" so much as you blatantly misrepresenting facts to promote your version woo while making claims about every human alive. You're being extremely dishonest and displaying a stunning level of hubris and arrogance.

I am not implying you don't value those ideas.

You absolutely did. Don't be dishonest about what you said.

I merely wish to point out that what those inspiring people aimed to teach us was to display qualities that are essential to humanity and that religious dogma has no real place in spirituality.

They endorsed denial of self, rape, slavery, murder and genocide. You're choosing to claim they didn't.

Basically, you are exhibiting the basic tenets and behaviors of the very thing you claim to be against.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Viviane

cappytan corrected me. I was in error - I used the word 'spiritual' when I should've said 'principled and decent being'

Have a day off, for f*ck's sake.

To someone new here, i.e. Deltawave, you don't show atheism in a particularly good light.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Can I just ask, what the hell is "woo?" I thought it was a typo earlier in the thread.
    n.(or adj), the way a person is when they uncritically believe unsubstantiated or unfounded ideas. Short for "woo woo".(See Russell's definition of woo woo)
    Shirley believes that in a past life she was the Jolly Green Giant of Rainbowland. Shirley is very woo.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit