How many have read 'Crisis of Conscience'?

by tornapart 41 Replies latest jw friends

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I did and will hope that some day my husband will pick it up since I have it.

I also have ISOCF . He has done a wonderful service for all those who read his books.

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

Tornapart: Like yourself i read Ray Franz books "Crisis of conscience" and "in search of christian freedom". It opened my eyes big time.

I believe that anyone who reads these books will without a doubt come to know TTATT. It was a eye opener for me.

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

Yep, read it too. At that time I was learning about TTATT, about a year after I was DF'd. This book was what took away the last doubts and set my mind free of all the guilt I always felt because of the JW-beliefs. At first I felt like I had wasted 33 years of my life, but soon I was grateful that I was young enough to start a new life.

What I liked about his way of writing is that he sticked to the facts, no hatred, no judgement, just his experience. Wonderful man, so sad he's no longer amongst us...

• bigmac
    bigmac

ive read most of it.

i found it far more interesting from about half way through---

-so if anyone does start and finds it heavy going---skip to the second half.

if i remember--the first half seemed very watchtower-ish. i glazed over.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I don't know how a JW could read it and not be affected.

He was not mean, or vengeful, or vindictive.

He came across as a sincere man who had to take a personal stand for the issues he faced.

He did so. It cost him immensely.

I suspect he never regretted doing the "right" thing.

Doc

• Stand for Pure Worship
    Stand for Pure Worship

I read a little bit of it, but couldn't stomach too much of it as it's too biased, too one-sided. Definately not a definitive history lesson about the organization. I mean if I want to read the truth about the history of the organization, I'll go to the source, the organization. They've provided the Proclaimers book, and the Faith In Action DVDs. Just like if I want information about a car I'm considering whether or not to purchase, I'll check out the manufacturer's website and promotional literature. How much sense does it make to consider buying a Ford, and then read an account about their operations from a former employee. No, Mr.Franz's account wasn't history, it was his-story.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

"Just like if I want information about a car I'm considering whether or not to purchase, I'll check out the manufacturer's website and promotional literature."

Shit! I actually did just buy a brand new car, and I never once looked at the manufacturer's website or promotional literature.

I read some reviews online (which were all pretty positive.)

Oh well.

PS: truecar.com is helpful for finding a good price as well.

• krejames
    krejames

Stand for pure worship. If you're thinking about buying a car it's very important to read reviews from various sources. Definitely not just relying on the manufacturer's sales pitch. By the way, if you want to find out how great North Korea is, go to the source and read their propaganda - it's a lovely place. Also the 1930s Germans were so right to believe the Nazis' rosy coloured picture of themselves and their ideals. Yes StandForPureWorship - don't you bother believing anything critical of the WT, stay in your cosy bubble.

Anyway, back to the topic. I read most of the book on line just over a year ago but I lost interest when I got to a part where Ray was talking about doctrinal stuff. But the part about the way the governing body worked, really was like pulling back the curtain on the wizard of oz. Since then I read A People For His Name by Tony Wills, which I think is a fantastic book (and SFPW, very unbiased and objective).

I've now bought the paperback version of Crisis and am reading it now.

• krejames
    krejames

Breakfast of Champions - all round to yours for a spin in your new car!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Bought a copy online. Still waiting for my wife to want to read it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit