So how exactly did this "new translation" come to be?

by sir82 79 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

A normal person, upon hearing that a new (or revised) Bible translation has been released, would have 2 questions spring to mind almost immediately:

1) Who did the work, and what are their credentials?

2) What manuscripts is the work based on?

Regarding question 1, obviously the NNWT translators have no credentials whatsoever, have no knowledge of Biblical Hebrew or Greek, and for that reason remain anonymous. I rather doubt anyone at Brooklyn can even read or speak modern Hebrew or Greek, much less what was used 2-3 thousand years ago. Certainly no GB members can do so.

Regarding question 2, it sounds like little or no reference was made to the copious amounts of Biblical scholarship from 1950 forward. So far as I can tell, they still used the codex Leningrad as the basis for the Hebrew text and Westcott & Hort for the Greek text.

Actually, concerning question 2, based on what they showed & explained at the AGM, it sounds like this new revision is based primarily on (a) Fred Franz's handwritten notebooks, as shown in one of the videos, and (b) other translator's ideas on how to make the often painfully clunky verbiage of the original NWT into something readable.

So basically, to me anyway, my impression is that this new "revision" required virtually no scholarship whatsoever - just an ability to read 60 year old handwritten notes and an "ear" for 21st century English.

Does anyone else have that impression?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yes, that sounds like an accurate summation

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The only requirement, as far as we have been told, is for the 'translators' to be of the 'anointed'.

No word if the most recent 'translators' are of the GENUINE anointed.

P

• Londo111
    Londo111

Based on some spot checks on the app, by and large, the source text appears to be the original NWT with some search and replace edits.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"So basically, to me anyway, my impression is that this new "revision" required virtually no scholarship whatsoever"

So basically, to me anyway, my impression is that [insert WT publication name here] required virtually no scholarship whatsoever

• Splash
    Splash

Pistoff No word if the most recent 'translators' are of the GENUINE anointed.

Good comment.

The GB are neither hebrew nor greek scholars, and none of the other anointed can provide food at the proper time since that is restricted to the 8 man FDS.

So whoever produced this was not qualified to, one way or the other.

Splash

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

They did it because in their filthy littl sex-infested minds, they actually believe that people reading that Jesus rode into jerusalem on an ass are giggling behind their hands.

As we all know jesus rode into jerusalem on a DONKEY not an anal sphincter. If they make this change in other languages where "ASS in not a synonym for "arsehole," they will make ASSES of themselves, if not Donkeys and ARSEHOLES.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

HB

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The title page would seem to imply that the new committee claims to know Hebrew and Greek. It's not out of the question that Geoffrey Jackson has learned Hebrew and Greek for the purpose of doing the revision.

Rendered From the Original Languages by the NEW WORLD BIBLE TRANSLATION COMMITTEE —Revised 2013—

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

hamsterbait: Just to be clear, ass is a synonym for arse. I guess you're in the UK? Well, over here it's impossible to read scriptures about people "riding in on their ass" and not imagine that it says "riding in on their butt" and want to laugh.

slimboyfat: The real question is which New World Bible Translation Committee that sentence is referring to, don't you think?

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi,

I heard a lot of how it came to be but, you really want to know...from ....False Religion....all the other religions are using the Easy English bibles. They either had to join in or join out....I use to use the Good News bible. Only thing that is different is the name Jehovah wasn't in there. But it's easy to read, & in the beginning of each book there is a summary of what the book is about...When I first started studying I use to use the Good News bible...I also, commented by just reading from the good news & say..just to paraphrase...then just say the scripture. I do remember friends saying, that's not a good bible to use...now look.

All I can say is that what ever they accused false religion of...they now have to do it...ATM's, Big Screens for the Conventions, JW.ORG (updated). Biblegate has every version of the bible, except the NWT. They had to step up their game otherwise "False Religion" would just sweep them up.

If this system of things continue, before it's all over, many revised NWT will be written....

Legacy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit