So how exactly did this "new translation" come to be?

by sir82 79 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Wasblind says,

It is not clear who else worked with Fred. It is a kept secret

No, if you worked in the home at Bethel during the 60s and 70s, you might have discovered that Fred Franz had A jEWISH SCHOLAR FRIEND WHO WAS WITH HIM OFTEN, AND THEY WERE SEEN GOING IN AND OUT OF BETHEL OFTEN. I first had my curiosity piqued by stories of Freddy travelling everywere listening to cassette tapes of some unknown person.

We wondered, "Was it messages from the Illuminati?" Satanic prayers? Why all the secrecy?

It was no little source of gossip. Well that person was the Jewish scholar who was often with Franz, even allowed inside of Bethel at anytime. I can't recall his name. He may have had other such friends, but many at Bethel knew this.

Randy

http://freeminds2.org

http://freeminds.us

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

- wonderment: One does not have to have the specific educational background of a translator to determine if he/she was up to task. If a German curriculum teacher assigns a class to translate a document of 50 pages from English to German to 20 anonymous students, would a reviewer need to know all the personal history of each student to determine who did the best translation work? No. A capable reviewer does not need that information from the anonymous students to make a required judgment.

Point! The R&F JWs are NOT "capable reviewers." In fact, very few people are qualified to comment on the accuracy of a Biblical translation.

Add to that the fact that the R&F JWs are indoctrinated to LOVE anything the GB/FDS say or do uncritically and without question and you have a recipe for an easy con-job.

Thanks for playing the Devil's Advocate on this one and proving my point much more powerfully than I could have without you!

• wasblind
    wasblind

" It is not clear who worked with Fred. It is a kept secret, just as the practice of what many corporations are working on next, it is not made publicly known "_____Wonderment

Hello Randy

That quote came from Wonderment not me. Thanks for the info

I'm sure wonderment will appreciate that info as well as me

• wasblind
    wasblind

" The NWT has to many haters , and it's been exposed to greater scutiny than any other translation in modern history. That would be the first thing brought out by any of its many enemies " ______Wonderment

Here we go wit the " Persecution complex "

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

wasblind:

Yes, I was aware of Fred Franz' Jewish friend , Barry Horowitz.

Oubliette: "Point! The R&F JWs are NOT "capable reviewers." In fact, very few people are qualified to comment on the accuracy of a Biblical translation."

I agree with you to a certain point. However, with today's technology, one can easily learn to read Hebrew or Greek on their own, and have at their disposal hundreds of Bible versions to compare to with the various available Hebrew/GreekTexts. One can also learn to just about everything there is to know about the grammar: the tenses, prepositions, particles, participles, infinites, and so on.

Not only that, anyone today can check any claim or rendering with various sources, and that with no Master's and Ph.ds. So your statement, while true in a sense, does not apply equally well to a person living in Tyndale's era compared to someone today willing to get some "grease" in their hands and learn the rudiments of biblical grammar. It does not help to have a Ph.d if a scholar makes silly mistakes, or shows poor judgment in his choice of words. And that happens more often than not.

As Douglas Stuart (Ph.d) said: "Just because someone has a Ph.d and you don't does not mean that he is right and you are wrong."

• wasblind
    wasblind

We're not false prophets, or nickle slick liars , that's persecution

we're Gawds uninspired chosen few

• wasblind
    wasblind

Stop puttin' words in my post that I never said !!!!!! Wonderment

I never knew Freds friends

Oh I see, your tellin' me You knew . OK

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

wasblind:

Relax! I know you did not specifically mentioned Fred's friend.

But when you said to Randy, "I'm sure Wonderment will appreciate that info as well as me," you referred to Randy's comment on my previous words about not knowing who else helped Franz in his translation duties which was in the major a secret to outsiders. So I addressed you to let you know that I had knowledge of Franz's Jewish friend who helped him out in the Hebrew. So let's both relax now.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I see what you're sayin' Wonderment, I'm relaxed

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

Marked

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit