The Annual ``Don't Misbehave'' at Asemblies'' KM

by Room 215 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

I remember a experience years ago about a group of about ten witnesses who went out to dinner after the assembly had concluded. In those days the assembly used to run until around 8:00 o'clock at night, and when they finally got there it was very late and the restaurant was about to close. Well, the restaurant stayed open as a special favor to these witnesses and after they had all eaten they left two Truth books in lieu of a tip. Their reasoning was that they were leaving the waitresses life saving information which far outweighed any money they could have left.

The waitresses and the owner of the restaurant were absolutely incensed and they went public with this story. I think it was after that experience that the society stressed leaving a monetary tip.

• og
    og

Funny stuff! But made me feel blue, because I can vividly remember giving this damn talk a couple of times, and getting all stern, and wondering out loud how long Jehovah would put up with this stiff-necked people...

God, I was such a frigging idjit...

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Don't forget the admonition not to be too boisterous in the motel swimming pool! "Some Christians" have been seen behaving in a worldly manner. How does the Borg know? Because they had their badge cards on!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

This thread brings up one of my biggest peeves of when I was a Dub and the "discussion" in the KM made my jaws clench in anger.

"Their reasoning was that they were leaving the waitresses life saving information which far outweighed any money they could have left."

Dutchie----I knew JWs that DID this......(ouch!) This happened LOT!

"Our cong. was so smug about the whole damn thing because our meetings were on a TUESDAY night--the whole rest of the circuit men on THURSDAY night --which meant we had a two night jump on the rest of the circuit. Yes, it's no wonder we booked the best hotels right off the bat."

LISA!!!!! So YOU guys were the ones!! LOL! (was it circuit 21 or 21a?)

"Brothers and Sisters, it would not be loving of us to masturbate at the convention during the program. It may be distracting to others."

Name With Held, Ya have me confused here......unless the programs have changed drastically since I left, it would take a strong determination and an extremely active imagination to even be ABLE to THINK about..........

"Reserve more rooms than you plan to use? WTF? Who DOES that???"

Xander.......LOTS of JWs did that when I was "in"! I happened to get a room for my "brood" at the last minute becuase of the "word of mouth" that Bro. So-and-so had booked several rooms for ones like us.....it was a common practice for YEARS. Just like the "Don't save seats" ordinance, ELDERS and their families did it right up until 1999 when I left.....what can I tell ya?

". Leave a customary tip for the housekeeper. "This 1994 Watchtower is worth more than any amount of money."

Expatbrit, For JWs like me so many years ago, I would have to save and save for six months or so, to be able to afford to get myself and five kids to Conventions. The kids always wanted all new clothes for every day at the assembly and for socializing afterwards (can't have anyone SEE you in the same clothes as the LAST convention-gasp) and of course they all wanted spending money when they "took off" with their friends during the evening. It was a helluva burden to face.

So often the conventions were held too far away to travel back and forth (a nightmare in and of itself, I might add)so every penny had to be allotted for sharing gas expenses, food for six of us, the whole nasty business........and TIPS for every meal we ate (the people we "traveled" with would pull up in front of a restaurant and my heart would drop) some folks didn't "do" McDonald's and we'd end up in places that were FAR above my "means"......

Ordering the cheapest thing on the menu was a given, and most times I wondered if I'd even BE eating on the last day of the convention.....and THEN there was the matter of the TIP?????

BUT~the mindset WAS.....BE there at the Spiritual BANQUET that Jehovah provides....

I HATE the hoops I was put through......

I have a TIP for the WTS........

Still angry,

Annie

Shredded families and ruined lives;
    The WBTS has MUCH to answer for......

Hugs,

Sunspot

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Hello Sunspot:

My smartass remark was not intended to cause any offense or to make anyone feel bad if they could not afford to leave a tip. However, if it has, I'm sorry for it.

I too feel pretty pissed at the sheer inconsiderateness of the WT, who have coerced people into decisions that result in a life of outright or near poverty. Their money-grabbing tactics and emotional manipulation are frequently sickening, as they force people of extremely limited means to travel long distances and stay in certain approved locations simply because it increases the hundreds of millions of dollars already in the WT's coffers.

Having said that, not all JW's are in poverty. There are quite a few who are considerably better off, wealthy in fact. And in my experience with JW's (as with people in general), often the wealthiest are also the stingiest, and it is the poorer people who are most likely to give what they do have the most generously.

It was at these better off people that my remark was aimed. The ones who use JW thinking to avoid treating others with consideration and respect.

Expatbrit

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

Sunspot - it is experiences like yours that made me take a second look at the 'love amongst the brothers.' We too were in the low income range, and in fact did communte 120 miles to conventions/assemblies. Our car was more economical than the hotels. We were not accustomed to spending more than Burger King amounts for food and so many times we had to pack picnic dinners or wait until we got home. Tough on the kids. Socializing? our kids were generally excluded from any post assembly fun because we were not in the inner circle of elders/pioneers children. And new clothes? we just hoped no one would notice. Pat yourself on the back - at least you thought ahead about the tip business...I really think the low income folks appreciate tipping etiquette much more than people who have never had to rely on minimum wage/tip jobs. Best to you and yours!

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld
    "Brothers and Sisters, it would not be loving of us to masturbate at the convention during the program. It may be distracting to others."

Name With Held, Ya have me confused here......unless the programs have changed drastically since I left, it would take a strong determination and an extremely active imagination to even be ABLE to THINK about..........

Hmmm, I don't know, some of the JW chicks are HOTTIES!

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Oh on the city shuffling, that was one of the MOST annoying things. We used to have a convention at our 'local' big town, but due to the incredible WTBTS cheapness, they decided to begin having it everywhere BUT that close town. We were driving 3-5 hours away to ever-changing locations. For awhile the thing was held at a new location every year. And it's not like it was close for some in the district, they had the entire district driving. I began to wonder if it was due to the fact that when it was held locally, the vast majority of people commuted and were not filling the hotel/resteraunt coffers, and thus weakened the WTBTS bargining power?

• LDH
    LDH

LOL!

Sunspot I knew it as 21. I don't know what the # is now. The funny thing is that a ton of other folks from the other cong. (Thurs nite mtg) would ~~suspiciously attend~~ our Tues. nite mtg when the Hotel list was posted! [8>]

Of course, WE, being righteously indignant, would crowd to the board first and the *interlopers* would (shamefully, and rightly so)wait for the 'crumbs'--LOL.

Shoot me an email, we must know each other.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit