What's in it for them? (GB)

by SyntaxError1974 49 Replies latest jw friends

• zound
    zound

The million dollar question - do the GB believe their own bullshit? We can only speculate.

I think if you compare them to other cult leaders like Jim Jones for example. He didn't (as best we know) believe his own Bshit. He had brainstorming sessions to think up new doctrinal ideas. He was ultimately an egomaniac sadistic piece of....

That's what I think the GB are. Read through the latest December Watchtower and tell me that they don't know what they're doing. Pure and utter manipulation from cover to cover.

I think if the Governing Body reduced in number things would get more insular and paranoid. It will be interesting when some of them die off in the near future - perhaps if they can't find suitably sinister replacements in time the JW's may be faced with a trinity of GB or even one.. If that happens then before long I guarantee that the koolaid will come out.

The Dubs pretty much reflect the attititude of these old men, who don't have much time left themselves. They want to take the Dubs with them - and given the opportunity they will (koolaid?). If the GB were younger things may be slightly different - but that would never happen. Old white (mostly) males with big egos and zero conciences are the qualifications.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

What's in it for them? (GB)

........................  photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• Trevor Scott
    Trevor Scott

[Jim Jones] had brainstorming sessions to think up new doctrinal ideas.

Does anyone doubt the GB does exactly this?

In Crisis of Conscience, Ray Franz exposed the Governing Body's practice of voting on doctrinal changes, whereby a two-thirds majority would result in a doctrinal change. Personally, I can't help but wonder what the deal was with the remaining third of the GB. Weren't they also appointed by "holy spirit"? Were they not equal members of the "faithful slave"? Did they perhaps forget to tune in to "God's Channel of Communication" that morning?

Again, I recommend Crisis of Conscience to anyone considering these types of questions about the Governing Body.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Is it possible that the WTBTS's business model has changed from when it was trying to increase recruitment to distribute the WTBTS's propaganda for donations ether from JWs or from the general public? The WTBTS decided to stop asking for donations because of court decisions. It had to invent new ways of getting income. The WTBTS's current income comes from donations, interest (or manipulating the books) from remodeling/building KHs, activities at conventions/assemblies, etc.

The WTBTS has been trapped in a concept of being a non-profit religious organization. Its history prevents the WTBTS from stop being religious and printing propagand, and government taxing authorities prevent the WTBTS from converting its assets from a non-profit to a for profit organization. Because of the WTBTS's earlier recruitment and history, it is real estate rich and has printing overhead expenses.

If the WTBTS tightens its control over JWs and thins out the social JWs, it will have fewer printing costs as well as having more reliable donations from "Spiritually Strong" (non-thinking) JWs. The GB can still be adored by the "Spiritually Strong" (non-thinking) JWs and start liquidating real estate assets of those KH's/Branches with few members.

The GB can also reduce Branch/Bethel staff as they close branches/move Bethels. Fewer Bethel workers means lower costs.

The GB may have been indoctrinated and suffer cognitive dissonance, but like a pyramid con scheme those who are in first (i.e. those at the top) win and those last (i.e. at the bottom) lose everything. Warrick may be the WTBTS's plan for a GB/Bethel retirement home. Why else does the GB promote finishing the project as well as beating the R&F JWs that the end is very soon. In my opinion the GB have changed the WTBTS's business model as an insurance policy to clean the congregations of thinking JWs so that the remaining JWs will be able to support the GB in their old age.

The preceeding is just my opinion to explain why the GB may be rolling out big changes in 2014 because of legal judgements against the WTBTS, the power of the internet, as well as reduced income and increased costs.

Peace be with you and eveyrone, who you love,

Robert

• Apognophos
    Apognophos
    In Crisis of Conscience, Ray Franz exposed the Governing Body's practice of voting on doctrinal changes, whereby a two-thirds majority would result in a doctrinal change. Personally, I can't help but wonder what the deal was with the remaining third of the GB. Weren't they also appointed by "holy spirit"? Were they not equal members of the "faithful slave"? Did they perhaps forget to tune in to "God's Channel of Communication" that morning?

Yes, but the original "governing body" (ugh) in Jerusalem also disagreed over the issues at hand. Paul made it pretty clear that he was in the school that opposed forcing Mosaic Law on Gentile Christians, yet he still had to abide by the decision that some laws still applied, like abstaining from blood and things sacrificed to idols, and pass the word on to the congregations. It was the result of a compromise for the sake of unity. Therefore, it's entirely possible that the GB feels that this is just how God's spirit works when they have to hold a vote on someone's "new idea". There's no need to assume they know it's a scam and are acting in bad faith. They are products of the system themselves; enthusiastic salesmen who got promoted to VP positions.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Power. Plus....don't forget what large corporations are designed to do. SURVIVE. It doesn't matter who is in charge. If the CEO is tanking......get a new one. If the board is floundering.......form a new board. If this branch is no longer profitable.....cut it off. Corporations are a phenomenon that desire to survive regardless of who is leading them. Even if all the GB quit tomorrow.......there would be others that rise up to take control to make sure the corp moves onward.

• Trevor Scott
    Trevor Scott
    There's no need to assume they know it's a scam and are acting in bad faith. They are products of the system themselves; enthusiastic salesmen who got promoted to VP positions.

Oh they are most definitely products of the system. I happen to believe the system in which they operate caters to the disingenuous.

I accept the possibility that one or all of the GB are deluded souls who believe their own BS; I think it much more likely they are the snake oil salesmen they appear to be.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Just adding my whipping to the dead horse.

Virtually every last upper management person within WTS got there as a pioneer recruiter.
    Their whole lives were dedicated to the organization.

When they reach the top- the Governing Body- or even some other upper point, if they wake up to realize it's all a lie and say something, they lose everything. So to say they aren't raking in the millions that other CEO's are making is not the point. Ray Franz is a great example- they gave him a small settlement when they weren't sure what to do with him and when they thought it would keep him quiet. Now that he has blazed a trail, they wouldn't even do that for the next guy to walk away from the upper management.

Bethelites who have left on their own have received nothing. They see this all the time.

As far as making up stuff, it ain't so simple. They believed in this organization for so long. They were so sure. When they get to make decisions, they are told by those there before them that the organization comes before the members. Sometimes, they are told, the members can't handle the real truth of the matter. They probably believe most of their b.s. and they see the rest as necessary for survival.

Are they secretly cashing out? Some may be funneling money to friends and relatives via business dealings for suppliers of ink, paper, travel arrangements, real estate transactions, advice, etc. etc. etc.. I highly doubt G.B. members are transfering money to off-shore accounts, but I highly think that some accountants are at least prepared to do that.

• flipper
    flipper

SYNTAX ERROR- Nice to have you here. Ask yourself this important critically thinking question : If the GB ARE snake oil salesmen , how would the rank & file typical Jehovah's Witness even know ? Does the Governing Body EVER reveal the total financial holdings and reveal the " worldly " corporations vested financial interests that WT Society holds in such corporations to a typical Jehovahs Witness ? Evidence shows the WT Society has or had stock and investments in Rand-cam company which produced military weapons, also there was a thread here indicating they had some kind of a connection with a tobacco corporation.

What I'm saying is that JW's are not ALLOWED to do research into these things on the Internet as the WT Society " demonizes " any and all negative information - so Witnesses are controlled by fear tactics to not even read it- or else suffer expulsion, DFing, or shunning as bad " associates " if they share anything at all negative about the WT Society. So how would a tpical Witness know ? They wouldn't.

I really recommend reading Steve Hassan's books on how high control organization use thought control and manipulation to keep members minds controlled and alienated from access to REAL information which could help them. His website is : www.freedomofmind.com. . His books : 1. Combatting Cult Mind Conrol 2. Releasing the Bonds- Empowering People to Think for Themselves 3. Freedom of Mind - Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs . These books really helped me to see how the WT Society has controlled, manipulated, and deceived not only JW members but the media from knowing all the facts regarding what really goes on behind the scenes. In book # 2 & 3 Jehovah's Witnesses and the WT Society are menntioned by name along with Scientology and other high control organizations- which all use similar tactics to dupe their followers. These books will be of great help to you I believe. I've been out of the Witnesses in an inactive state for 10 years and it really opened my mind up and my eyes to the entire and whole picture believe me. Take care, I wish you a lot of happiness and success in your discovering information and freedom of mind my friend. Peace out, mr. Flipper

• Londo111
    Londo111

Synax,

Welcome! I love your handle. It reminds me of the early days in the 80's of learning BASIC.

I've little to add to the discussion since I believe everybody covered it. The GB are Captives of the Concept, just like Jim Jones and David Koresh. The Organization is an entity unto itself and its first priority as an organism is self-perpetuation. The imperative is ‘the Organization’ over people it is supposed to serve. If individuals or feelings are trampled upon in the process, it is of no consequence to this unfeeling machinery.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit