What's in it for them? (GB)

by SyntaxError1974 49 Replies latest jw friends

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Frazzled UBM you hit the nail right on the head. It's all about ego. I saw it for many years when a new elder was appointed. I saw it up at bethel sitting with some of the GB. Their ego was so big you could hardly get into the room. Totally ADD

• mindnumbed
    mindnumbed

Consider what kind of income it would take to live like a GB member.

Consider the ego boost that every word you utter is viewed by millions around the world as if it were from God.

Consider the speaking engagements at conventions in resort areas around the world.

Consider the complex ... "administrative center" ... they are building for themselves in Warwick.

They are in want of nothing.

Why would they give it up?

Even if any did come to realize the religion is wrong, the extreme forces of cognitive dissonance probably keep their minds holding to the truth, they just have too much to lose.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Welcome SYNTAXERROR!

This is something I go back and forth with, which probably means there is no simple answer.

As far as what's in it for them, I agree with SMIDDY: they are big fish in a little pond. If they were in "the world" they would be slobs just like us, not CEOs. So I think it's the power, which is just as intoxicating (even moreso) than money.

Also consider that any organization this large takes on a life of it's own- at a point the whole system exists for the sake of existence.

Do they really believe their own BS? I think some do, some don't. A few might be delusional enough to believe all of it, but I'm sure most only believe parts of it- I mean, how else do you come up with new light unless you are dissatisfied with what you've got?

I appreciate your distinction between "informational" and "attitudinal" apostates. Personally, I also wanted the just facts when I was doing my initial research (sites like JWFACTS.com are great for that). The emotional, ranting stuff turned me off too, at first, but I now see it as just people coping differently. Have gotten a little emotional and ranty myself at times.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

boc - 'Also consider that any organization this large takes on a life of it's own- at a point the whole system exists for the sake of existence.' This is a very importnat point. The organization is self-perpetuating - if any GB member sees the light and quits another will step in. The organization looks after them as long as they look after the organization. It is a symbiotic relationship.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

The men who now make up the governing body haved always LOVED the organization.

They come from different parts of the world and all have different backgrounds. But the organization is the tie that binds them together.

Rising through the 'ranks' of the organization to a seat at the board of directors table is a dream come true. They LOVE their jobs & their lifestyle.

And they - individually and collectively - will protect the organization and their positions.

Of course there is always exceptions to this rule - Ray Franz being the obvious example.

ginger

• d
    d

some people just want the power.

• sir82
    sir82

Addiction to power is stronger than addiction to tobacco, alcohol, heroin, you name it.

• tornapart
    tornapart

I really think they believe it. They are just as brainwashed as everyone else. They truly believe that God has appointed them to be in charge of 'His' organisation.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Consider the ego boost that every word you utter is viewed by millions around the world as if it were from God.

Good one mindnumbed

A highly elevated self identity of oneself goes along way for some men.

Realistically you could find that in many large religions . ie. the Governing Body of the Mormon Church.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

This is a wonderful thread, i appreciate it so much!

You know Ray Franz had a crisis of his conscience, he saw so many things that were not right, that were so hypocritical and so much covering up that was obviously deliberate.

My opinion and feelings are that those GB guys just don't have a conscience to have a crisis IN. As has been stated, the power is so pleasant and addictive and makes them feel like they ARE gods.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit