Are JWs more negative than normal people?

by Julia Orwell 74 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Julia Orwell - "Ah, the ubiquitous 'oh'. When a JW has no answer and cognitive dissonance kicks in."

Someone I once knew a long time ago (an ex-evangelical) described that type of moment as "not programmed for that response".

• Laika
    Laika

Life in this system is so hard, people I don't approve of are getting married! What a tragedy!

• adamah
    adamah

Hmmm, perhaps Debby Downer is NOT a pessimist, but actually an "interested one" who warrants a return visit since she sees just how bad everything is in these "last days"?

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/debbie-downer/n11825/

Adam

• Honesty
    Honesty

JW's have to be negative about life and the world around them because that is the only way they can reconcile in their minds that their god is going to wipe out 99.9% of the human population and leave them to clean up the rotting human bodies he left in his wake.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Nah, God's going to clean that up with birds, remember? Or antimatter. Probably antimatter.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Most definitely YES!

In reading your conversation, I must say that I have had several similar conversations. There is one person, an elder in my hall, that no matter the subject matter is always saying how hard this system is. When he prays for the congregation, he goes on and on about how bad things are and how much we struggle in this system of things. It gets so bad sometimes that by the time the meeting starts people are sighing and groaning....

Just a thought

SOP

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

I first started luking here in Oct. Joined late Dec. And just had a aha moment. Now I realize why my mother was always so negative. It was something we all knew but never connected why.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

I agree wih all the posts. I have a theory about all of the sickness in the KH both real and imagined. Remember when you were in school and the only EXCUSED absence was illness? Wellllllllll there you have it.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Can you imagine a JW being asked why he didn't go to the meeting and answering with, "I just didn't want to" The illness card is all they got.

• adamah
    adamah

I agree wih all the posts. I have a theory about all of the sickness in the KH both real and imagined. Remember when you were in school and the only EXCUSED absence was illness? Wellllllllll there you have it. Can you imagine a JW being asked why he didn't go to the meeting and answering with, "I just didn't want to" The illness card is all they got.

Isn't it nice to NOT have to explain to everyone where you were? I mean, it's not like going to meetings is your JOB, eg where your boss is keeping track of if you don't come to work one day, right?

Right?

Adam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit