Did Jesus have a BEGGINING?

by gumby 58 Replies latest jw friends

• Earnest
    Earnest

Gumby,

You said :

I think to make this easier....let's see if we can prove Jesus had a beginning,... was created.

The scripture you used about him being "the beginning of God's creation can also be translated..."the origin" of creation.
    This would make more sense with John 1:3 and colossians 1:15-18

If I am wrong.....I will change my beliefs on this!
    I have no fear to say I'm wrong. Why believe a lie?

In the list of verses I cited previously, Jesus is described as being "in the beginning" (John 1;1,2), "at the beginning" (Hebrews 1:10) and "from the beginning" (1 John 2:13,14) which all seem to allude to the creation of the heavens and the earth. (Genesis 1:1)

More to the point, he is described as wisdom "produced as the beginning of God's way" (Proverbs 8:22) and as "the beginning of the creation by God". (Revelation 3:14) He is also described as "the beginning, the firstborn from the dead" (Colossians 1:18) and, apparently, as "the beginning of those receiving the reward". (Revelation 22:13) Why should the meaning of 'beginning' be changed simply when it refers to creation? Surely, the beginning of those created and the beginning of those resurrected has the same sense.

Earnest

• AlanF
    AlanF

To simwitness:

: If Jesus was just claiming to be "really, really old" why did the Jews start to stone him? It was allways explained to me that it was for blasphemy, or for his claim to be the "I AM".

The Jews were looking for any and all excuses to kill Jesus. His claim to be older than Abraham was obviously a claim to be more than human, and that was all the Jews needed to begin to try to kill him. He certainly didn't claim to be God in the context of John 8:58. The Jews simply trumped up a false charge against Jesus, just as they did on other occasions.

One of these other occasions is related in John 10:22-40. The Jews demand that Jesus tell them plainly if he is the Christ, and he gives them an answer ending with "I and the Father are one." The Jews try to stone him but he asks why they want to. They tell him that they want to stone him, not for the miracles he performed, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God." (NIV)

That the charge of blasphemy was false is easy to see from several standpoints. First, all Christians must admit that Jesus did not actually commit blasphemy, so the Jews' charge was false. If false, then it was a trumped up charge, just as implicitly occurred with respect to John 8:58. Second, Jesus himself argued that their charge was false. He quotes Psalm 82:6 and argues that if that scripture called mere human judges "gods", "to whom the word of God came", then why would they object to him calling himself "God's Son"? He says, "Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, `I am God's Son'?" Instead of answering the rebuttal, the Jews tried to seize him.

An excellent set of resources for translators and anyone else interested in details of Bible translation is the "Translators Handbook Series" from United Bible Societies. The handbook on John is A Handbook On The Gospel of John, Barclay M. Newman and Eugene A. Nida, UBS Handbook Series, 1980. While this handbook is generally objective, the biases of the authors come out clearly in their comments on John 10:33, even while they make some very good observations. Here's what they say about blasphemy:

In most languages there is no technical term for blasphemy in the sense of a person insulting God by means of preempting some of the qualities or attributes of God. However, blasphemy may be rendered in some languages "the way in which one insults God." Accordingly, one may translate the statement of the Jews "We do not want to stone you because of any of the good works which you have done, but because of the way in which you insult God." In Jewish thought blasphemy consisted primarily of speaking evil against God, though the word could also be used of abusive speech against people or sacred objects. In the present context Jesus is accused of insulting God because, although merely a man, he is trying to make himself God.
    The Handbook neglects to explain just how Jesus is supposed to have blasphemed, or insulted God, by claiming to be God's Son or claiming to be the Messiah. It also neglects to explain the key point: How is Jesus supposed to have made himself God just by claiming to be God's Son? Similarly, I have yet to see an argument in support of this claim that is not blatantly self-serving in the sense of ignoring common sense in order ultimately to support a nonsensical translation of John 8:58.

Let me give you an example of this kind of self-serving argument from this handbook with respect to John 8:58:

Here again I Am is used in the absolute sense in which it identifies Jesus with God the Father. The same distinction is made in this verse between Jesus and Abraham as was made in the prologue between the Word and the created order (John 1.1-2).

In many languages it is impossible to preserve the expression I Am in this type of context, for the present tense of the verb "to be" would be meaningless. To make sense, one must say "Before Abraham existed, I existed" or "...I have existed." It may be useful to introduce a marginal note calling attention to the special form of the Greek text and its relation to other passages containing I Am.

Note that the objective is first and foremost to preserve that precious "I am" relation with Exodus 3:14 -- implicitly invoking a particular trinitarian assumption. Even while admitting that "To make sense, one must say `Before Abraham existed, I existed' or `...I have existed.' " -- which is certainly the case in English -- they still want to connect the verse with Exodus in a marginal note. Why not just admit that the sensible translation is what the Greek meant, too, and forget that silly "I am" business?

There is another aspect of the story told in John 10, which is whether in John 10:33 the Greek theon should be rendered "God" or "a god". This is similar to the question of the proper translation of theos in John 1:1c. While most translations have "God" here, a number have something else:

"You, a mere man, claim to be a god." New English Bible

"You, being a Man, make Yourself a God." The New Testment by James L. Tomanek

"You, although You are but a man, make Yourself out to be a god." The Holy Bible in Modern English by Ferrar Fenton

"You, being a human being, are deifying yourself." The New Testament: An Expanded Translation by Kenneth S. Wuest

"You are only a man, but you say you are the same as God!" New Century Version

The above-mentioned Handbook has a few words to say about the proper translation here:

In the clause but you are trying to make yourself God the Greek does not have the definite article "the" before the noun God. Normally in the New Testament when God the Father is referred to, the definite article "the" is used before the noun God. Purely on the basis of the Greek text, therefore, it is possible to translate "a god," as NEB does, rather than to translate God, as TEV and several other translations do. One might argue, on the basis of both the Greek and the context, that the Jews were accusing Jesus of claiming to be "a god" rather than "God." But to do so is certainly not in keeping with the theology of John's Gospel, nor with the accusation of blasphemy brught against Jesus. Jesus does quote from Psalm 82.6, which says "you are gods," (see verse 34) but to assume that Jesus is doing no more than claiming an equal status with the people addressed in that Psalm is to miss the entire point of the passage. Jesus' argument is, in fact, a typically rabbinical one by which the speaker argues from the lesser to the greater. According to the rabbis, Psalm 82 was addressed to Israel when they received the Law at Mount Sinai. Jesus' argument proceeds in this way. If those persons who received God's Law on Mount Sinai could be spoken of as "gods," how much more can the one whom the Father has chosen and sent into the world claim to be "the Son of God." In verse 36 the Greek does not have the article "the" before "Son," and so it is possible to translate as NEB does "I am God's son" ("son" with lower case "s"). However, once again this interpretation is not in keeping with the theology of the Gospel of John. Moreover, it does not fit well with the context. Jesus is not claiming to be a divine being among many others; he is claiming a unique prerogative, and the Jews recognize this. Accordingly, it is best to follow TEV and most other translations.
    I want you to note something very important about the above argument: the authors assume that trinitarian interpretations of various Bible passages are correct, and proceed to dismiss what would otherwise be common-sense arguments based on that assumption. In other words, a goodly chunk of their argument is circular. Note in detail how this is done:

First, it is admitted that "a god" is possible in John 10:33. In fact,

One might argue, on the basis of both the Greek and the context, that the Jews were accusing Jesus of claiming to be "a god" rather than "God."
    So the authors are admitting that this argument is basically sound. I mean, what more could one want, when "both the Greek and the context" allow it?

Then they invoke the trinitarian assumption to quash the argument:

But to do so is certainly not in keeping with the theology of John's Gospel,
    What "theology"? The trinitarian interpretation of various passages in John, of course.

Next the authors seem to agree with the Jews that blasphemy was a valid charge against Jesus:

nor with the accusation of blasphemy brught against Jesus.
    The charge was false, guys!

Next we find a bit of a strawman argument:

Jesus does quote from Psalm 82.6, which says "you are gods," (see verse 34) but to assume that Jesus is doing no more than claiming an equal status with the people addressed in that Psalm is to miss the entire point of the passage.
    Who is saying that "Jesus is doing no more than claiming an equal status with the people addressed in that Psalm"? Certainly not Jesus, because he was claiming to be the long-awaited Messiah! He claimed that his Father gave him "sheep", to whom he would give "eternal life". He claimed to perform his miracles and to make these other claims, not based on his own initiative, but because his Father told him to do so. In other words, he was claiming to be a prophet. As such, and because of the statement in Psalm 82:6, Jesus could certainly claim to be "a god" in terms of both Jewish and Greek cultural usage. But note that he never actually made that claim to the Jews. He claimed other things that they interpreted as claiming to be "a god". And there is no evidence at all -- aside from the trinitarian assumption -- that Jesus here claimed to be "God".

Next the authors make a good explanation of Jesus' rebuttal:

Jesus' argument is, in fact, a typically rabbinical one by which the speaker argues from the lesser to the greater. According to the rabbis, Psalm 82 was addressed to Israel when they received the Law at Mount Sinai. Jesus' argument proceeds in this way. If those persons who received God's Law on Mount Sinai could be spoken of as "gods," how much more can the one whom the Father has chosen and sent into the world claim to be "the Son of God."
    Then the authors again invoke the trinitarian assumption to dismiss a particular translation:

In verse 36 the Greek does not have the article "the" before "Son," and so it is possible to translate as NEB does "I am God's son" ("son" with lower case "s"). However, once again this interpretation is not in keeping with the theology of the Gospel of John.
    Continuing:

Moreover, it does not fit well with the context. Jesus is not claiming to be a divine being among many others; he is claiming a unique prerogative, and the Jews recognize this.
    What "unique prerogative"? Are the authors yet again making the trinitarian assumption that Jesus was here claiming to be "God"? If not, then the "unique prerogative" must be a claim to be "God's Son" or the Messiah -- both of which claims are not blasphemous.

I think you can see by now, simwitness, that even arguments presented by good scholars can be terrible, especially when they let their biases, or even the need to play to the audience that pays them, dictate how they interpret the Bible.

AlanF

• AlanF
    AlanF

Moxy said:

: ... all religious figures are gradually deified by their followers ...

I completely agree with everything you said. The Christian view of Jesus most definitely evolved, and it can be seen in the New Testament.

AlanF

• simwitness
    simwitness

Thank you.

That is alot to digest. Was there any single book that helped you to get past the bias? Years of study/experience?

The more I learn, the more I learn that I have a lot to learn.

• simwitness
    simwitness

One more question, if I may:

What order should the NT be read, to more clearly see the evolution?

also, what is your view of the "other books" (Gospel of Thomas, etc...)

Okay, that was 2 questions, go ahead, shoot me...

Thansk again?

• AlanF
    AlanF

simwitness said:

: Was there any single book that helped you to get past the bias? Years of study/experience?

The latter. I've read lots of books and articles, done a good deal of research with Greek & Hebrew language resources like Grammars and Lexicons, and so forth. I've also argued endlessly online with JWs and trinitarians, so I know most of their arguments and have thought about them quite a bit.

: What order should the NT be read, to more clearly see the evolution?

I basically agree with Moxy's comments. However, the exact order in which the books were written is questionable. What I see, more fundamentally, is an evolution of ideas, which are not necessarily in a strict time sequence. Keep in mind that the NT books were written by many different authors living in different cultural situations, and so their ideas are bound to evolve at different rates.

: also, what is your view of the "other books" (Gospel of Thomas, etc...)

I view them the same as I do the NT writings. Because the Catholic Church actually decided, over several centuries, which books are canonical and which are not, I think it's rather moot as to what books are "really" supposed to be part of the Bible. I mean, the Church invented the Bible by deciding what books should comprise a "New Testament" and putting them alongside the traditional set of books that comprise the "Old Testament". The OT apocrypha were included by the Church, although most Protestants don't accept them as canonical. So what comprises "the real Bible" is a matter of opinion. Short of a miraculous revelation, how can one decide what's what?

Because of these considerations, the Watchtower Society has a difficult problem to address, which it does in an interesting way. It is an unarguable historical fact that the Catholic Church compiled what is presently called "the Bible", and has been the most diligent keeper of the ancient writings that comprise it. Thus the Society is forced to say that God has used the Church in a big way to be the keeper of this most holy of books. One of the Society's standard defenses against charges of being a "false prophet" is to say that, despite its errors, God still "uses" them. But he has also "used" the Church. So, by their own logic, can it properly be claimed that God's "use" of someone justifies a claim like WTS leaders make, namely, that everyone on earth should bow to their claimed "spiritual authority"?

AlanF

• gumby
    gumby

Wow folks! tooooooooooooooooo much!
    Alan...you are the master dude!

In all seriousness, you are taking me backwards....which is good.
    Your diligence has moved at least one guy, to re-think what could be a wrong conclusion.

I have a commentary called THE NEW INTERNATION DICTIONARY OF THEOLOGY.
    R. Franz quoted from it quite a bit in a personal letter to me. Much of what this commentary said on the subject of the Trinity, I AM, the Soul, etc. was contrary to orthodox beliefs.

I assumed at the time, that since this commentary differed a bit from others views, perhaps the writer was a liberal radical, not to be trusted, or was one of the few that hold to opinions of less popularity on these subjects.

The big problem is this, (for me that is), if you are correct.......How does God view the millions who view Jesus as God?

Why would he allow his identity to be so obscure.
    Would it be proper to attend churches that insist on these teachings for salvation, as to the dubs, with their similar reasoning.

This may bring some back to the conclusion..."there must be a group who teaches the truth on these matters"
    I would NEVER become that brain-dead to think that way again, on a matter such as this.(that salvation answers, are in the hands of some group)

As for your comments on HOW the NT writings BECAME as part of the bible cannon is good news for me.
    I have never yet had an explanation as to WHO decided WHO'S writings/letters, were to be part of the bible.

It would seem one would have had to be appointed by God himself, or to by someone who God had talked to, telling that person the writers letters were approved.

All scripture is inspired of God....the question....who DECIDED they were scripture.
    Perhaps this is the reason the Catholics claim to be the oracles of God since the Holy Writings were entrusted to them....(as they see it)

Alan, I respect your honest observations.

All others have helped also,

Moxy ,I enjoyed your thoughts on progression and feel MUCH of that is true...product of environment

Dakota, much of what you said and quoted has to be looked at from the Trinitarian view point of Jesus 'full-man/ full-God theory to see why he spoke of himself in a subjective sense.

Taking all things said by Jesus and his followers at face value, will get you in a brain rat nest.

No...I'm not losing my religion....just having the guts to be open to.... "WHAT IS TRUTH"?

Thanks to all who are putting their best thoughts into this..........it's a big question!

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed
    Dakota, much of what you said and quoted has to be looked at from the Trinitarian view point of Jesus 'full-man/ full-God theory to see why he spoke of himself in a subjective sense.

Hi Gumby. Stop and think that you had to be taught that Jesus was the "full-man/full-God" theory. Why? Becuase it just isn't in the Bible. One thing I have been trying to do lately, is look at the Bible from the Jewish perspective, since the majority of it was written by ancient Jews. Even though converts to Christianity, they still had a mindset of the Jewish people.

But, to take Jesus' words and twist them to justify a triune theory that is readily found within Plato's writings denigrates Jesus' very existence, to me.

RSV Matthew 4:10 Then Jesus said to him, "Begone, Satan! for it is written, 'You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.'"

Satan knew both Jesus and God, since he too was an angel and traveled back and forth between heaven and earth. Yet, here he is tempting Jesus. Could Satan even tempt God to worship him? If Jesus were also God, how can he say that another is the only onw to be worshipped?

Yes, I know that at places Jesus accepted worship, but here you get into a discussion of the Greek word, proskuneo, which I understand to really have no English counterpart that fully conveys the various meanings of the Greek word. According to Vines, it is also used in relation to men, beasts, the dragon, Satan etc. So, I see the "obeisance" given Jesus as different than the worship given God.

Like I earlier recommended, go to Amazon.com and order a copy of "The Doctrine of the Trinity, Christianity's Self Inflicted Wound," by Anthony Buzzard and Charles Hunting. They have researched the doctrine quite deeply and although both taught the trinity as fact for many years, they have come to realize they were deceived.

Good reading.

Lew

Here is a lkink to Anthony Buzzards web site. He has lots of articles he has written about the trinity and such. However, I must also warn you that he doesn't believe in the preexistence of Jesus as an angel.

http://www.mindspring.com/~anthonybuzzard/

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• FrankRaven
    FrankRaven

Isaiah 9:6,tells us that Jehovah God is the Christ.
    I discovered something,When I mention Luke 24:39,Witnesses denie that Christ had flesh and bones.They say that Christ came back as a spirit.When I do mention that Christ said Himself that He wasn't a spirit in that passage,they denie that it's there.I wouldn't believe that they would say that unless I saw it myself.So I truly believe that many witnesses have been blinded by the god of this system(Satan).There is just no other explanation.
    1John 4:3,"and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God.And this is the spirit of the AntiChrist,which you have heard was coming,and is now already in the world."
    RevFrank

RevFrank

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Oh Rev, don't tell me you fell for that old Isaiah 9:6 misinterpretation! Why do you all have such a problem believing Jesus himself?

Jesus "becomes" the "Eternal Father" to ONLY those that exercise faith in his ransom sacrifice. John 3:16 reads: "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." (RSV)

We also read in Anthony Buzzards book, "The Doctrine of the Trinity, Christianity's Self Inflicted Wound," page 76, quoting Raymond Brown, "The "Mighty God" of Isaiah 9:6 does indeed mean, as defined by the Hebrew Lexicon, "divine hero, reflecting the divine mystery." It is precisely that same Messianic sense of the term "God" which allows the psalmist to address the King as "God," without inviting us to think that there are now two members of the Godhead. The quotation of Psalm 45:6 in Hebrews 1:8 brings that same Messianic use of the word God into the New Testament. We should not misunderstand this very Jewish use of titles. It is a serious mistake to think that the Messiah has now stepped ito the s[ace reserved for the One God, the Father. However exalted the position of Jesus and despite his function as God's representative, the strict unipersonal monotheism of Israel's faith is never compromised by any New Testament writer."

Starting on page 85 of the same book, we read," As for the expression "Eternal Father," the title was understood by the Jews to mean "the father of the Coming (Messianic) Age." The Greek (Spetuagint) word for 'eternal' in this case need not convey the idea of 'forever and ever,' 'for all eternity' past and future, as we normally understand it, but contains the concept 'related to the (future) age. Truly Jesus, the Lord Messiah, will be the parent of the Coming Age of the Kingdom of God on earth until "all thngs are subjected to him. Then the Son himself will be subjected to the one [God, the Father] who subjected all things to him [Jesus], that God may be all in all.' (i Corinthians 15:28) It was widely recognized by the Jewish community that a human leader could be called father. Isaiah states of a leader in Israel: 'I will entrust him with your authority. And he will become father to the inhabitants of Judah and Jerusalem.' (Ia. 22:21)"

Now, instead of reading into scripture what triitarians wish werea ctually there, why not just accept Jesus at his own word? He calls the Father "the Only True God" at John 17:3. If he too were God, how is this possible? At John 14:28, he tells us, "The Father is greater than I am." At Mark 12:29, he tells us that there is but One God.

Believe as you wish, but for me, I choose to believe Jesus himself and take him at his word!

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit