Free today - the book I wish I'd found when I was getting out of JWs.

by AngusOg 39 Replies latest jw friends

• pronomono
    pronomono

From one unhappy JW to an ex-unhappy JW.......Thanks. I appreciated the first half of the book, but the last half containing all the blog posts didn't resonate with me as much as the rest of the book did. In that first half, I appreciate your straight-forward, get-to-the-point approach.

• AngusOg
    AngusOg

Fair enough, pronomono; it's kinduva two part book, I guess.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

AngusOg:

It is what it is. I don't personally feel that my book, or any book, is going to convert someone who is happy. On the other hand, so many JWs are actually miserable—I certainly was. So, I wrote the book I wish I'd come across in the time when I was miserable.

Yeah, fair enough. That certainly is a valid target demographic. Particularly for 'born-ins' who were never really given an option.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I' glad you mentioned Visions of Glory, by Barbara Harrison. That book helped me quite a bit when I left the org. For years, it was the only one I knew about. I eventually read some of the others that are often mentioned here, but by the time I learned about them I had been out so many years they didn't strike me as much as Barbara Harrison's book did.

Congratulations on writing the book, the more the better! If it was published in 2000, you might want to write a new edition.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Marking for future reference.

Thanks!

-Aude.

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

Marked, Thx!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Thanks Angus. I read a free sample, then "borrowed" your book for free as an Amazon Prime member.

It was an awesome read. There are a few minor areas where our philosophies differ, but they are not important enough to even mention. Overall, if people need a push, your book is a great push toward quitting the JW's.

And I like the simple question about how the FDS get directions from Jehovah.

• Violia
    Violia

I don't have a kindle device. Is there any other way to download this onto my computer and just use a reader device? Free or not, I'd really like to read this but don't want to buy a kindle to do it. Not that Kindle is not a cool little item, but I am home more than out . Is there anyway someone can covert this to a pdf file and make it down loadable ?

You can tell I am not savvy to the new devices. I used to really know my way around the net until windows 2000 and onward. 98 was the last stable OS.IMHO

• Violia
    Violia

Never mind, I followed Nathan's instructions and so it appears that I can read Kindle book without buying a Kindle. So now I have the app and the book. Thanks , I look forward to reading this soon.

V

• Violia
    Violia

The book is good, short but good. I enjoyed the blogs as much or more.

What helped me leave mentally was when I finally read all the research many here had done on the history of the wts. When all is said and done, it is just another apocalyptic religion that sprang up before the turn of the 20th century. It is very similar to many other religions who believe in end times, an adventist religion. We were not so special after all When I realized this and that jws are just selling HOPE. so does the catholic church and the baptist church. take your pick of hopes. the jws have a few more downsides, blood etc but here in the Bible belt ( Pentecostals and all) they take their religion seriously and Pentecostals DF too and seriously, they almost make jws look sane.

I must own at least 100 tarot decks . It was just something I got into while trying to mentally leave jws. there is nothing new under the sun, they really did not offer much . It was something I guess I needed to do.

I really feel like the song Meat Loaf sang " Original Sin". part of it says, " ... everything that they taught us was nothing but crap....".

Here the the link to the words - won't put up video as the thread i s not about this.

http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/60833/

I have looked at several religions and feel most comfortable with Christianity or a version of it. Probably sort of a humanistic type of Christianity, if that id possible. One in which we ARE our brothers keepers.
    What I have found is the worldly people are not as unconditionally friendly as many lead us to believe. Especially here in the Bible belt many of the religions are similar to jws in being mean spirited and cruel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit