Free today - the book I wish I'd found when I was getting out of JWs.

by AngusOg 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Giordano
    Giordano

I doubt any book could keep up timely with this made up religion and constant flip flopping 'new light'.

Eric Hoffer's book 'The True Believer' came out in 1951 and is still relevant (he doesn't even mention the JW's but if the shoe fits.....).

Raymond Franz's C 0f C was printed in the 1980's and it's still a powerful book for wavering lapsing JW's.

Hopefully your book will be helping people get out for decades to come.

• AngusOg
    AngusOg

… and, just read through the bizarre new overlapping generation BS. Had no idea; one lovely thing about being out is that you don't have to keep up with all their bizarre changes. OTOH, my daughter is still in, and it's depressing that she's apparently going along with all this.

I am wondering if I should update the book. But it feels like the wrong approach; I write at one point "I could explain to non-Witness readers what the “Faithful and Discreet Slave” is, and how they relate to doctrines and such, but frankly it’s not worth it. Don’t be distracted by it when it comes up. Just zero in on the the idea that God is working with some humans, and ask how that works."

I think that still holds; now, it's a much smaller group that has to take responsibility (and apparently they officially vote on doctrine, now?) and they clearly have no good way of communicating with God.

But wow, they're obviously getting desperate.

• AngusOg
    AngusOg

Jeffro, it was free for a couple of days, as part of a promotion allowed under Kindle Select rules, and has now reverted to it's regular price. I'll be making it free again on occasion—I'm allowed five free days every few months.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

AngusOg:

Jeffro, it was free for a couple of days, as part of a promotion allowed under Kindle Select rules, and has now reverted to it's regular price. I'll be making it free again on occasion—I'm allowed five free days every few months.

Ah. Thanks.

I noticed this in the Book Description on Amazon:

Who is this book for?
    This book is for any Jehovah’s Witness (or other Christian cult member) who is unhappy.

You don't think that (and the subtitle) might scare off a few prospective readers?

• AngusOg
    AngusOg

It is what it is. I don't personally feel that my book, or any book, is going to convert someone who is happy. On the other hand, so many JWs are actually miserable—I certainly was. So, I wrote the book I wish I'd come across in the time when I was miserable.

• new22day
    new22day

Your audience might largely be ex JWs and non JWs too who want to help loved ones wake up or at least have better discussions. As a non JW, everytime I tried I was pulled down a rabbit hole and so confused.

That said, the FDS thing does confuse me. It's a really fundamental question - how do they "precisely" recieve God's word/direction or whatever. I think I could even ask a door knocker this one wihtout feeling too intimidated to fall down a rabbit hole.

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

marking

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Maybe it isn't the meaning of the word "free" that was misunderstood, but the meaning of the word "today."

Angus, I haven't used Kindle previously, but yesterday, while the book was free, I downloaded and installed Kindle for PCs and then "bought" your free book.

Then I stayed up WAY past my usual bedtime and read the whole thing!

Thanks for the gift!

"Quitting Jehovah's Witnesses..." is an EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT book, and will be a valuable psychological stabilizer for anyone who has decided to quit.

I agree with much of what you have to say and at times felt like I was reading my own words. I quit Jehovah's Witnesses in the 1970s - nearly 40 years ago. I was introduced to Jehovah and his motley crue when my mother decided to accept a "free" (all we ask is your brain) home Bible study. I was about 7. I left when I was in my early 20s, having been a pioneer (with a IV-D draft status), an MS, and started to give the one-hour talk on Sunday. (Just once, but it means something to be asked, and many JW men in their 60s have never been asked to do this.)

I disagree with you on a couple of minor points:

You say there are TWO categories of XJW books; personal stories of conversion and books that explore and refute Watchtoer doctrines, usually making a pitch for something else.

I would suggest two additional categories; books that offer a historical view of the evolution of Watchtower doctrines, like "A People For His Name" by Timothy White (the pen-name of Antony Wills); "Apocalypse Delayed" by James Penton; and one of my favorites, "Visions Of Glory" by Barbara G. Harrison. I will admit that Barbara's book is a combination conversion story/history, expertly done.

My fourth category would be ressurrected Watchtower books; books originally printed by the Watchtower years ago that have been made to drink a cup of tanna-leaf tea, coming back to walk the earth like the Golem of Brooklyn, NY, wreaking havoc with Watchtower obfuscation and historical revisionism, proving that the Watchtower fabricates and lies about its history.

This is a minor point, but because I personally have put much work into cat IV books, the distinction matters to me.

Much of what you suggest as helpful de-programming techniques I have also found helpful. Each taboo willingly and thoughtfully practiced proves "for thou shalt surely die" to be an empty threat. Give blood; eat a blood sausage, but don't expect it to be tasty; buy a Ouija board and some Tarot cards, attend an all-night meditation, learn how to kill a man with your bare hands. Have FUN. "Do as thou will is the whole of the law."

On the other hand, "for in that day thou shalt be as God" is pretty much a load of crap too. What we are is naked ape boys, not far removed from the animals we eat and keep as companions. The scene depicted on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel is not a photograph, it is from the imagination of Michelangelo, it is how he wished it was. Look into your dog's eyes and understand that he has feelings just as you do.

Good work, Angus!

• mouthy
    mouthy

I remember you way back when LOL

Gotta read this book (((HUG)))s &s

Mouthy

• AngusOg
    AngusOg

Thank you Nathan, thank you mouthy. I must say, the response has been wonderful—a lot of free books went out, I got a nice review on amazon, I sold a few books, and people have said nice things here and on the exJW subreddit (motto: "The Truth Hurts").

Nathan, especially thank you for your close reading, and the feedback on the taboo chapter; was a little ambivalent about putting that one out there. And you're right, of course, about the various book categories. In my defense, the whole book is an exercise in simplification—I wanted the bare minimum of words that I thought would do some real good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit