What was YOUR wake-up call before you left the JW´s organization?

by Mr Fool 64 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Looking back on my life and realizing that following the teaching of the Watchtower had caused me to make many bad decision throughout my life. I knew that if I stayed, my life would never get better.

• MissConfused
    MissConfused

I wasn't really fully convinced when studying 'The Troof'.... A lot of my questions were unanswered. Was uncomfy during field circus. But I came quite close DF just before marriage due to some one else's fault and faced JC. Although they just warned me, I started to get the real Bright Light about this Borg.

• bnybyt
    bnybyt
    A CO named Henry going after any elder who had a College education or had a child in University.
    The creeper CO was something like Mr. Smith from the Matrix.

http://omgface.com/veryhappy/MrSmith22.jpg

• label licker
    label licker

About four years ago at a dc the DO went on and on about not looking at apostate sites so acouple of years ago when we didn't see the love that society preaches, our first stop was this place and we haven't stopped since. JWN gave us a place to go for answers on anything from publications to empty reasonings on the society's doctrines.

Also, there was some ex-jw's who found something that was closer to the bible that really made sense so it was easier to leave the false teachings and false friendships.

• jaydoubleu
    jaydoubleu

For me it just happened 3 months ago. I've been inactive for quite some time. I've been noticing/experiencing for years that my "brothers/sisters" love was condicional.

But 3 months ago I was surfing YouTube. Watched a video about Famous JWs. I was reading some of the comments and someone mentioned Russell and how he was no longer anointed or FDS. His words were: "You don't believe me? Check the latest July 15 Watchtower".

Of course, I downloaded it, since it was directly from JW.org. I could not believe what I was reading. Russell, the guy who founded the WT, the guy who put the initial money, the guy that started it all, has been demoted as "John the Baptized". FDS is now GB? And we have to OBEY them?!?

That issue really stumbled me. Later on I found jwfacts.com and the rest is history.

Now I'm trying to get my wife (inactive) out as well. Although she admitted this week that she no longers believe in many things, she is still fighting it.

• Comatose
    Comatose

I don't think I've welcomed you yet jaydoubleu. So welcome! Glad to have you. What got my wife thinking was a pretty recent article on invitro fertilization. It said it was gross misuse of the sexual organs. Ummmm, two people NOT having sex or touching or anything, just two people artificially having a baby is gross misuse of the sexual organs?? My wife was shocked. Her real non cult voice said, that's crazy.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

It was a number of things that caused me to wake up. I served as an elder from 1972-1984. During that time we saw the liberal reforms of Watchtower Vatican II replaced with the repression of the 1980s and Witch Hunts for “apostates.” Of course being an elder you have a front seat to observe all the politics that goes on in the congregation, and it was obvious that the Holy Spirit had nothing to do with the appointment of elders or MSs.

Then in 1982 while preparing a Public Talk on the Trinity the outline referred to a Watchtower, which I consulted to get a better grasp of the subject. This Watchtower quoted from J.N.D. Kelly’s Early Christian Doctrines, and I happened to have a copy in my library. But I found that the Watchtower quoted Kelly out of context. Be suspicious whenever the Watchtower uses the ellipsis in quoting a non-JW source. In fact I found more quotations taken out of context to support the Watchtower’s anti-Trinitarian doctrine. It was this discovery of the Watchtower’s scholastic dishonesty that set off more alarm bells. By 1983 I had serious doubts about the JW religion.

But in the spring of 1984 I read COC, and this confirmed that the Watchtower was not God’s organization and my resignation as an elder and my exit from the Watchtower cult soon followed.

• jaydoubleu
    jaydoubleu

Thank you Comatose. This is just my third post. :)

In my case, only my mom is JW and she is very aware of how I feel. Cannot say the same about my wife's family. 30% of her family are JWs. So I guess I kinda understand why she is still struggling with the facts.

• T D Joseph
    T D Joseph

When I mentioned to Branch Committee that John 3:13 is not really what Jesus spoke--it is an interpolation. Hence our teaching about 144,000? One member personally told me: 'If we admit one verse is not inspired, it will cast doubt on others verses too.'

This was one of the many wake-up calls I had before leaving JWs

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Talk at dc about we can't just study the Bible with householder if they request it. Had to be a WTS book. What! We can't study the Bible? Loud bell sounded.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit