It's yime for an introduction

by HowTheBibleWasInvented 21 Replies latest jw friends

• HowTheBibleWasInvented
    HowTheBibleWasInvented

I've been lurking a month or two and letting out a comment here and there.A few weeks ago someone asked if I had formally introduced myself. I haven't as I have been busy.

Here I go>>>

I was born and raised a witness. I always found meetings borning and family studies so bad. It wasn't that I didn't believe it. It was that it was boring and I already had to spend time in meeting and service. The truth was I learned the 'truth' from reading along in the bible story book with the cassette tapes playing. Since the tapes start: "This is a book of true stories..." I belived it.

Forward 30 years. I had never gootten in serious trouble. Ohthere was masterbation and alcohol... But only Jehovah knew and he never sent the elders to me. LOL. I believed it still. In fact at 30 I was very convinced that the bible was 100% science and when God said let there be light it was the creation of Jesus (The truth and the light) and day two the creation of elements etc.

One day about 3 years a ago a guy at work who knew I was a witness asked: "Does Cain and Abel come before or after Jesus in the Bible?"

As funny as the question was I spent the time (as I gave him a ride home) giving him a summery of the bible. Creation,Fall of Man, Flood, Babel, Abraham, Patrarchs, Exodus, Judges, Kings, Exile, Restoration, Jesus, Spread of Chrintianity, Revelation etc...

Sounds good BUT as I was saying it I realized I didn't know the bible....

Oh I knew the plot. But not the words. For instance... 1 Chronicles is 1 /3 geneology.

So I decided to STUDY the bible not as the word of God. But as a book. (Simply to learn the deeper things)

I gathered a few books (careful not to pick religiously biased books. I wasn't going to read anything from apostate Christodom)

I finally got the book "How to Read the Bible"- James Kugel.

It presented the bible (hebrew Bible-Old Testament) as propganda of the ancient Israelites. Such as thought has NEVER come into my mind and at first I laughed. But as I read Mr. Kugel quoted verses showing the bible was not written by Moses (Genesis 12:6, 34:7 14:14, etc)

This was faith shattering. If this was true them.... creation was a myth (a good one though) and evolution was true!

I went on youtube that night searching for PROOF OF EVOLUTION. (Fossils did not cut it) I needed genetic proof. And there it was. Retroviruses giving us 100% proof. Then Chromosome #2. (By the way the brochures about creation skip all this)

I had to struggle for over a month with a terrifying concept. I WOULD DIE and that WOULD BE IT!

Evento this day it streaks terror into me. However since then I realized that this century has the potential for inventing computers capable of storing the memories of us so its a small relief.

However after this month I came back with a vengence! I did not like being LIED TOO! That being said it wasn't the bible's fault. The bible I came to have huge respect for as a work of man (his greatest work) and as such decided to figure out how accurate Kugel was.

Here are some shoking facts the WITCHTOWER is WELL AWARE OF but refuses to disclose:

1. Acheology DOES NOT prove the bible true!

Oh sure. There was a David, Jehu was real. Hezekiah was locked like a bid in a cage. Josiah's reforms match up. Baruch the scribe is real. Even Balaam was some sort or oracle. But from there we take a dive into proganda by Judeans.

For futher reading check out Isreal Finkelsteins books.

2. Science. Nope. Here is a terrible fact.

Humans can choke on their food. Most mammals cannot. Why? Decended lyrax of humans. Is this the work of a loving GOD? NOT

3. Jesus according to 90% of historians existed (Bill Maher and others can kisss their a$$) However when we look as how the historical Jesus lived we might be inclined to be a homeless bum.

That being said 2 years ago I decided to write a book, however YouTube seemed like a fun and safe place to let it off my chest. So I released the entire history of the origin of the texts of the bible on my channel HowTheBibleWasMade in the space of a year. Later i posted several videos about the dangers of the bible for children (not adults) and also many comedies.

As the project is now it needs revisal but that is next year...

I have not left Jehovah's Witnesses... My wife is still in and.... what can I do?... Yeah not much... Just wait...

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Aint research a wonderful thing?

Shame not enough believers bother to even try...

• cantleave
    cantleave

Welcome to the forum.

ERV's were on of the big convincers for me too. I am sure you must have seen thread - any contributions welcome http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/members/adult/244307/1/The-Common-Ancestry-Thread

• jhine
    jhine

Hello, welcome .

can I ask if it has occured to you that your statement "I wasn't going to read anything from apostate Christendom " showed that you were and it might seem still are being influenced by the Watchtower ? The only reason you see Christendom as appostate is because the org told you it is . To really cock a snoop at them perhaps you should read material from all sources . That surely is the real independant research ? Not telling you to believe any one thing. You have your own path to follow . Just suggesting that you look at all possibilities before you make up your mind .

• jgnat
    jgnat

I can totally relate to your awakening, even though I was never a Witness. I'm married to one, though. Steve Hassan has some great advice on how to approach a loved-one so that they can wake up. I wish you the best for your future and your marriage.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Hey welcome! It's great to meet and talk to new posters. Glad to have you.

I followed the same as path as you in many ways. They keep you so busy as a witness that you don't have much time to verify or study independently. Once you peek beneath the curtain its all over. The creation brochure is one of the first things I found on my own to be lies. I started googling names quoted because I wanted to learn more. I wanted to be able to NOT beleive scientific evidence I had heard about. I wanted to prove to myself creation was possible and true. What I found was that many if the folks had been so severely mis-quoted that it was the same as lying about them... That almost gave me a panick attack.

Anyways, welcome and look forward to your posts.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Thanks for your intro. and welcome to the forum, HTBWI.

Jesus according to 90% of historians existed....

I wouldn't be so quick to send Bill Maher to kiss your ass. I don't know the statistics on percentages of historians or whether they have ulterior motives. Plus, that pendulem might swing the other way at some future point when everyone has a book to sell.

What I see is that on the subject of Jesus being myth or man, it was probably BOTH.

Paul's Christ was a myth, a God to compare with Mithras and Isis and the like. His Christ had no human activity listed, no time period. Paul could have wrote, "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..."

After Jerusalem's demise of 70 C.E., some writers looked over the "sayings" of some influential preacher from before the demise of Jerusalem. They combined the sayings with the supernatural Christ of Paul and invented Jesus the man.

So when historians say "he" existed, I don't put much into that, because some preacher in the likes of tons of hippies did exist and did say some of the things accredited to Jesus.

That is all just my opinion, something more to chew on. People, please don't take what is just my opinion and ruin this introduction thread. I commented on HTBWI's thoughts, that is all. Oh, and I loved THE BIBLE UNEARTHED by Israel Finkelstein.

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Welcome, glad to have you here with us.

• Jaidubdub
    Jaidubdub

Welcome

• HowTheBibleWasInvented
    HowTheBibleWasInvented

Thanks all.

jhine: Yes but I was speaking from the perspective of THEN not now. Thanks

On the Way: Your suggestion of Both is quite valid. I take to position of the Jesus Seminar etc. Having checked the evidence from the sacanty sources I have decided Jesus existed but was merely a wisdom teaher and made a stupid mistake of invafing the temple on passobver and turning tables etc. He was thus executed and Peter, James and probably Mary had dreams of him after. As did Paul in 2 Cor. 12.

While Paul borrowed from earlier legends I believe he conected them to a 'resserected Jesus' being taught by Peter and James.

But to each their own.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit