I'm thinking about going back

by Corboy101 85 Replies latest jw friends

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

I don't see why anyone is trying to convince anyone not to go back. We do not have to live with the consequences of their choices which in turn is how they cannot possibly understand how many of us feel who are in fact living with the consequences of our own choices (however they may have played out).

Let them go back. It's their life. There are those out there comfortable enough being controlled. Let them be rather than waste time trying to save them when they obviously don't want or need to be saved. Rescuing a lost puppy is more noble than trying to "save" or rationalize with someone whose only goal is to incite trouble.

Again...go back and have fun. Good luck.

• Thoughtless
    Thoughtless

I think some of the ideas expressed here - through Corboy and 1009 - are the 'new' jehovah's witness.

They're still involved because of family and friends. They pick and choose what they want to participate in. They are selective about their associates in the congregation. They have doubts and questions and know it's better to keep this to themselves. They stick with the big 'doctrines' and rules ( blood, neutrality, meeting attendance, regular field service, etc.) but ignore the 'little' stuff. It's no biggie to drink too much, watch 'bad' movies or listen to 'debasing' music, have a 'worldly' girl or boy friend (secret), etc. Just so you show up for service the next morning. They pose as ones 'reaching out' for congregational responsibility. They pioneer (and live at home) so they don't have to get a job. They volunteer for building and remodelling projects. They always have their Watchtower and Jeremiah book underlined.

The 'new' Jehovah's Witness is about appearances. Looking good. Looking right.

_____

As a "new" Witness, I agree. I have a very clean appearance, if not schizoid appearance in the Hall. I do a watch "bad" movies and listen to "bad" music, but not the booze (I do not believe in alcohol) or a girlfriend (too risky). After learning TTATT, I just stopped caring and right now, I am in a spiritual limbo. Just getting on by. I do not pioneer, but I still go to field service for appearances. It was a time when I would answer and study ALL of the WT articles, and many saw me to become the next BIG thing, but I fell off. As I have gotten older, I started to care about doctrine and started to actually THINK and question. Everytime I go to the meeting, I find myself falling into the illusion again, but I KNOW that this religion is false, but I am now living a life of appearances, an inauthentic life. It's not fun. I consider myself an existentialist, but Christ, it just sucks to still be in.

I find it interesting to see the differences between me and you guys and can only conclude that we did not share the same experiences.

gingerbread
    I think some of the ideas expressed here - through Corboy and 1009 - are the 'new' jehovah's witness.

They're still involved because of family and friends. They pick and choose what they want to participate in. They are selective about their associates in the congregation. They have doubts and questions and know it's better to keep this to themselves. They stick with the big 'doctrines' and rules ( blood, neutrality, meeting attendance, regular field service, etc.) but ignore the 'little' stuff. It's no biggie to drink too much, watch 'bad' movies or listen to 'debasing' music, have a 'worldly' girl or boy friend (secret), etc. Just so you show up for service the next morning. They pose as ones 'reaching out' for congregational responsibility. They pioneer (and live at home) so they don't have to get a job. They volunteer for building and remodelling projects. They always have their Watchtower and Jeremiah book underlined.

I like the label 'new', but can only refer to myself here. I did pioneer for many years, served as MF, including in a foreign language congregation. I did not have close JW-relatives (father DF, mother inactive and an halfsister that I've seen about 10 times in my life). I did have some friends, but for me they weren't a motive to be an active JW. I indeed was very selective with my friends: all of them were elders/MF's, but were somewhat critical like me. I did have a spouse, who I finally left.

'Doubts and questions'? I agreed on some points, and disagreed on other points. I had a lot of questions, but could find my own answers. Why look up to others for answers if you can find them yourself? I did my own Biblestudy, a lot! I used some of the tools of the WT, but had bookcases filled with translations, dictionaries and commentaries. No doubts though: I drew my own conclusions.

I agreed on the bloodissue, partly with neutrality, completely with the meeting attendance and partly with field service (I prefered that to be modernized). I also agreed on most of the moral standpoints.

Was all that for appearances? For who? I was almost totally independent. I just wanted to serve Jehovah in the organisation that I believed was closest to the Bible.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Corboy.......someone got their feathers ruffled. I would challenge you to find anger anywhere in my post to you, which YOU solicited. Lets not forget you asked people here a question. Some responded kindly, some gave you their opinion, some told you to shove off.

Its called diversity in opinion. You are entitled to yours too. Everyone has their own decisions to make.

Painting with a broad stroke and calling people dumbasses, while having no response for others that took the time to answer your question, doesn't exactly give you the moral high ground does it?

Now......is there anything I can help you with?

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Just wanted you to see somethign you wrote when you started this and maybe we can get back on track to what it is you are asking for help with. You didn't think people on an ex-JW website were going to offer encouragement to go back realistically, so what is it you are looking for my friend?

I gave you some specific doctrine. The religion you used to know is maybe more associated with the word dogma.

I have been out for 22 years.I was raised as a Jehovah’s Witness. I was baptized in 1986 but soon after left the religion. There’s a whole lot to the reasons why I left, but I left. I married a non believer and subsequently got involved in Christian churches, even to the point of converting, being baptized and becoming a layman. Now I’m thinking about coming back. I've wondered if what I thought I knew was really what they teach so I accepted a study. Now I'm more confused then ever. My focus is only on doctrine. There are good and bad people in all groups. I don't believe the acts of some bad people determine it being the truth or not. If there were the case there is not truth. I also do not believe anyone is "brainwashed" into believing something. Everybody has a choice and everyone make individual decisions. Some of the variables maybe difficult but in the end, most of you (including me) CHOSE to be a witness at a certain point and CHOSE to leave. You don't have to agree with me. My opinion. I'm only interested in doctrine.

• Thoughtless
    Thoughtless

1009, I agree with you on that to an extent. When I comment, I try to comment on a point that doesn't bother my own personal conscience in regard to the faithful and discreet slave. When I first had doubts, it caused me a lot of turmoil, but it was what I call, a "shallow" questioning due to the fact that I wanted to realize my full potential, so ultimately it was selfish. Now, I have come to a more integral questioning, due to the fact that I am analyzing on the basis of doctrine. I do agree with neutrality, blood issue, as of evangelizing, I am unsure. When I say appearances, I mean appearance in the sight of the elders. I am pretty much independent too for I have almost no friends in the congregation except a really cool elder who is like 32. But to be honest, we are both exercising independent thinking, in which, makes us both apostates in the WTBS belief. Only difference is, that you seem more sincere than me at the moment.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

gingerbread - I think some of the ideas expressed here - through Corboy and 1009 - are the 'new' jehovah's witness.

I like what gingerbread stated that some JWs remain JWs to preserve JW relationships and pick which WTBTS doctrines to follow. IMHO my former friend who is a "Spiritually Strong" (non-thinking) JW picks which WTBTS doctrines to follow and does not tell other JWs her opinions.

I personally do not care if exJWs and JWs follow WTBTS's doctrines or choose which doctrines to follow. I want to be truthful, honest, fair, and compassionate to others. I know that if I say that I am a christian that I follow christ, where as if I am a JW I would be constantly battling between being truthful, honest, fair, and compassionate or blindly following the WTBTS's doctrines. To me the choice is easy. I like sleeping at night and do not like having the proverbial sword of Damocles hanging over my head.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Cabo Verde
    Cabo Verde

Just joined the site. I am not a marxist, but must agree with Marx that "religion is the opium of mankind".

It is all about money, from the Roman Catholic Church selling of indulgences to the WT selling magazines (now, they are giving them but I am from the days that there was a number of them to be sold every month!)

Needless to say that we all need to find the truth, and for sure the truth always make one free! After more than 30 years of religious life, I finally found it in 2004 and what a change it has being. For sure, it makes for a wonderful rest in the nights, and gave me a greater love to GOD and to everyone.

My family lives in Africa, and I would love to share what has taken place with me here or through our family e-mail (my wife's name is Ana): [email protected]

• Bella15
    Bella15

Christianity is about accepting Jesus as the Son of God, the Messiah, believe in him to be saved, Grace not Works. If you are interested in doctrine you will not become a follower of Jesus and really any religion course at Univeersity would do.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

So, Corboy has proved to his satisfaction that we are all angry on here, thus warning JW's that this must be a site dangerous for them, probably some here are "bitter" too a Corboy ?

I posited earlier that you were a troll, so far you have done nothing to convince me you are not, why not answer the points put to you ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit