I'm thinking about going back

by Corboy101 85 Replies latest jw friends

• RobertT18
    RobertT18

Want to go back? Nobody is stoping ya.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

Doctrine is defined : Principles, position or policy taught or advocated, as of a religion or government. Something that is taught; teachings collectively: as in religious doctrine.

The single defining doctrine taught by Jehovah's Witnesses, either individually or collectively, is that the Governing Body ( the eight men at the religion's world headquarters in New York ) is the sole earthly representives of Jesus Christ and his heavenly government.

It is through this governing body that Jesus Christ informs the Witnesses and the world about Biblical interpretation.

If you actually believe in this doctrine, return as quickly as you can! Without it your daily happiness, personal success and eternal salvation are in serious jeopardy...

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Ain't nobody's business but your own, but I have to say I think it's a poor idea. However, nowadays there is an abundance of information available about JW doctrines -- and about how those doctrines change over time -- to help in your search. I think that the religion is basically a cult, and so the exact doctrine doesn't really matter. Cults are more about control than dogma.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

I really get uncomfortable when Witnesses start talking about choice because the only born-ins who exercise choice (ande a very brave choice) are those that get out. The ones who get baptized are just doing what they are programmed to do. And once they get baptized all choice ceases. It is like North Korea calling itself Democratic - often the language authoritarian regimes use is an indicator that they are the reverse - the use of 'The Truth' by the WTBS is a great example of this but 'Choice' is not too far behind.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

1009:

So my advice to Corboy10: make a list with doctrines. Which doctrines are (according to you!) important, and which less important?

One JW doctrine is that you can't just 'pick and choose' which doctrines you like. So if you want the option of choosing JWs on the basis of just a few JW doctrines, then JWs isn't the religion for you.

If a highly regulated schedule and rigid set of rules helps regiment your life and make things more stable for you, and you don't care much about whether what is taught is actually true, and you have no problem trying to convince others that it is true without any actual proof, then maybe JWs is the religion for you.

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

Going back is like playing country music backwards...you get your wife back, kids back, and your dog...+ all their friends.

Then u wake up and say WTH did I do? Glad it was just a dream!

Sw

• Narcissistic Supply
    Jeffro
    One JW doctrine is that you can't just 'pick and choose' which doctrines you like. So if you want the option of choosing JWs on the basis of just a few JW doctrines, then JWs isn't the religion for you.

I disagree. Officially you are right, ofcourse. But that's one of the doctrines with which I disagreed and which was not very important to me. So, I was a happy witness by not acceptating all the teachings. Just don't talk about it to loudly.

Actually I think that most JW have a problem with one or more of the official teachings. How many do masturbate, with a clear conscience? How many think they well remarry their spouses in the New World? How many visit JWN? I think a lot of them.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

I'm thinking about making a governing body hologram night lite that projects on to the ceiling.

My kids have one with santa's sleigh and ho ho ho. They absolutely love it.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

1009:

I disagree. Officially you are right, ofcourse. But that's one of the doctrines with which I disagreed and which was not very important to me. So, I was a happy witness by not acceptating all the teachings. Just don't talk about it to loudly.

You've only confirmed my point. If someone cares about doctrine, they - by necessity - can't just disregard the ones they don't like. If they can simply disagree with some doctrines and continue as members, then they don't really care about doctrine. And in both cases, unless they are uninformed, they don't really care about truth if they remain JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit