Going to Kingdom Hall for first time

by InChristAlone 39 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Don't do it, you will definitely get sucked in. Meetings are as addictive as crack cocaine, except even more addictive. How do you think it took us all so long to break free.

AwakenedAtGilead was going to take his new wife to a meeting just to show her what it was like. This was despite warnings from myself and others. We have not heard from them again. Draw your own conclusions.

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

I agree with slimboyfat stay away. Someone like me could go and resist the BITE control but I'd rather slide down a 90 foot razor blade than go and listen to that drival.

• bigmac
    bigmac

eat lots of beans a few hours beforehand. during the meeting--see if you can break wind ( pass gas ) [ fart ]---a few times. it wont add anything to your experience--but the others will have something to talk about for days.

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

LOL Big mac. I'm cracking up here.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I suspect you will find it bland and meaningless. Witness meetings are the religious equivalent of a ryvita biscuit. The people will either ignore you or be all over you like a cheap suit. Remember : bullshit baffles brains.

• InChristAlone
    InChristAlone

I appreciate your thoughts, both the funny ones and the serious ones. To answer some of your questions, Desirous, Slimboy, and Truthseeker, I am very comfortable with my relationship with God, the church I attend, and my belief system. A large side of my family are in (cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.), but they have little bearing in my interest. For over two years, I have developed a real desire to see JWs learn TTATT and speak with them whenever I can. While I can speak with some degree of knowledge regarding intellectual things, I cannot speak with any knowledge regarding what they actually experience. So, I have decided to take this opportunity to sit through a meeting. In my mind, I will be analyzing it similar to a recent article that was posted here.

Tootired, thanks for the input on getting there early and where to sit. I don't plan on speaking at all although your idea is hilarious. Giordano, the JW who has come to my house for the last two years is aware that I am coming, so with any luck he will prevent anyone from labeling me. I appreciate the attire comment, although I have no interest in shaving my beard. They can live with it. Gayle, thanks for the warning.

What is the structure of the two hours that I will be there? I plan on bringing my own Bible. Anything else that I will need? Anything else you all can think of? I would like to be as mentally prepared as possible.

• cantleave
    cantleave

THe videos I posted are a good reflection of what happens - even if they are cartoons

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

So you have familly that are in? You seem pious and knowledgble and into Christ. You poor bastard stay away!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

They will use their songbook and a study article from a particular Watchtower magazine if you go on a Sunday.

Someone there can provide you with the material you need. Take it, feel free to waste it. Heck, if they offer you their Bible, take it.

I have met Christians who are sure that they can learn how to reach JW'S with TTATT. If it was only so easy, many here would get their loved ones out. I don't say you shouldn't try, but prepare for a letdown in most cases.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It is hard for me to imagine what you will experience, being it will be your first time, but knowing TTAT. For the regular attended a, it's pretty boring. But it might be interesting to see if you can spot the logical fallacies, the obvious manipulation and the outright lies being spouted. You should take notes and keep track of how many you find. Then if someone asks you how you liked it, you can bring up one of the more obvious things. It also might be interesting to look around (discreetly) and notice how bored every one is, and how many are napping. The songs will be fun, they are really bad, the music is recorded, and nobody can sing, a lot of people don't even bother.

It was not until I visited a normal church that I realized how stupidly boring the meetings were. Other churches have better music and more of it, they involve the children for part of the service, more people take part, The sermons are more relevant and afterwords they have coffee and snacks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit