Scary Stuff

by Farkel 93 Replies latest jw friends

• Mum
    Mum

Here's some anecdotal stuff:

I used to have a job where we hired kids from job-training programs. They could do anything on the computer, but could not answer a simple math question (such as, What's 60% of 80, or 80% of 60) without significant figuring. One kid told me the answer was 75! Geography was even worse.

I used to watch a French TV show called Télématin. They were laughing at a cartoon from a French magazine one day during the Presidential campaign between George W. Bush and Al Gore. In the cartoon, a French teenager is telling an American teenager that France are following the U.S. presidential campaign with interest. The young American replies, "France -- where is that?"

It is not the kids' fault. It's the parents'. If we don't read to our kids or encourage curiosity and love of learning, they are left only with their peers.

• Giordano
  • Glander
    Glander

Resistance - I will ignore your clumsy age stereotyping because it is irrelevant.

Sometimes, as in the instance with Farkel, anecdotal experience is matched by statistics that confirm it is typical to a large degree. Statistic are nothing more than a compilation of the factual.

Why don't you find some evidence on your own to prove my statement incorrect. I stand by it. Do your own homework.

Are you a unionized public teacher? Simple question that should not require any pesky research.

If not, I am surprised that any informed person would not be aware that the pub. ed. system in this country is broken.

Slim. - A well rounded education must include some knowledge of history and geography. Farkel has brought up several accepted facts (and one anecdotal example) showing a surprisingly limited scope of basic knowledge.

Dateline - 8-02-13, WSJ - "Florida Education Commisioner resigns amid scandal" ( Mr. Tony Bennett.) "The departure follows an uproar over Florida's school grading system, which has undergone numerous alterations, angering public school officials and parents".

He was ran from office by the State Teachers Union and their Democrat political lackeys because he was trying to bring grading standards, which have been watered down, back into reality and real world value.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Did you say scary stuff ? We had a candidate

who ran for the vice presidency who thought Africa was a country

• HBH
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

George Bush thought Africa was a country.

"Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease."

• Glander
    Glander

Giordano's Mother Jones chart simply confirms the watering down of standards over the last 40 years. The proof is in education level of todays students from a broken system that is trying to obfuscate it's poor job performance by lowering the bar.

Doesn't take a brain scientist to see whats going on.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Wow SBF I missed that one, I was thinkin' of Sara Palin

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

facebook and twitter are turning youngsters into clueless idiots...

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

Oh come on! The young people are the future. So many here have been left behind. I have 2 scientist children. They will make future generations life easy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit