Scary Stuff

by Farkel 93 Replies latest jw friends

• Narcissistic Supply
  • gingerbread
    gingerbread

We sound like a bunch of old farts

Barry, you are correct. In the US, we are taught from birth that our country is the best in the world and without us the 'third world' countries couldn't survive. It's a type of arrogance that is uniquely "American'.

I had a conversation last week with my folks about the young JW's (or lack of) in the area congregations and circuit. I commented that it's a fair statement that most young Witnesses don't even know what 1914 even means in this religion or when C.T. Russell lived. After a minute of thought they both agreed. They said "it's just not the same as when we came in the truth (40 years ago)."

• stillin
    stillin

It's peer pressure to a high degree, IMO. It just isn't cool to outperform your peers unless it's on a skateboard, x-box, etc. real understanding draws blank stares.

• DJS
    DJS

I saw a news item on the 'Net this week indicating that 40% of the Millenial Generation who are under 30 still live at home. I don't know how this compares with previous generations, and there are likely other factors driving this, such as the economy, mom and dad have a bigger home than a generation ago and the house has lots of cool stuff not available to previous generations (like cable, the Internet, etc.).

However, to think that the general lack of ambition, discipline, drive or whatever you want to call it (everybody gets a trophy and an "A" generation) isn't contributing to some of this, IMHO, would be a mistake. Obviously more study is needed and likely there is some generational griping going on with this thread that resembles every previous generational gap since time bagan. But something IS different with this generation, as nearly all of the sociologists, CEOs, hiring professionals and demographers who study such things indicate.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    After four years and about $40,000

That's about right for the heavily subsidized "in state" rate at the State University. Full price out-of-state rates and private college tuition is far higher, with top schools charging around $40,000 for tuiton. Room, board, books and other fees are considerably more. Plan on about a quarter-million for four years living on-campus at a good private university. Ouch!

• Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile

You forgot to cite your source Farkel.

Other than your personal anecdote, do you have any evidence that the average high school student is less educated than in the past?

I half expected you to finish your post with a complaint that them kids also won't get the hell off your lawn!

• Glander
    Glander

Other than your personal anectdote, do you have any evidence that the average high school student is less educated than in the past?

Resistance - That's not 'anecdotal'. It is simple to check out the voracity of his statement by googling a few minutes on the subject.

Todays public schools are passing high school kids with reading abilities near illiteracy.

• finally awake
    finally awake

my son, who will be entering high school in the fall, answered all but one question correctly. even my 7th grader knew most of the answers. I guess we did a decent job homeschooling.

• Mary
    Mary

Today's High School Students in the USA:

Here, I'll take a stab at this. (and I ain't even an American)

Less than 1/2 of them cannot identify the century when our Civil War happened. Easy. The 19th century and it ran from 1861-1865.

One in four thought Columbus discovered America sometime after 1750. Have they never heard the song: In 14 hundred and 92, Columbus sailed the ocean blue?

One in three cannot name one right enumerated in the Bill of Rights. Um....what about your Right to Bear Arms?

Three out of four cannot name the first US President. Seriously? That's a no-brainer. George Washington. Do they even know that they fought the British ?

Two out of three do not know the length of term of a member of the House of Representatives. I don't either.

Half cannot find Britain on a map.

One out of four cannot find America on a map. It's right there below the most important country in the world: Canada.

I get what you're saying Farkel. Kids today have never learned to do math in their head or even using their fingers. It's all done with a calculator. If we were caught with a calculator in math when I was in high school, you got an automatic zero.

• Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile
    Resistance - That's not 'anecdotal'. It is simple to check out the voracity of his statement by googling a few minutes on the subject.

I was referring to his story about his daughter, which is by definition, an anecdote. He made it sound like he knew the education system was doomed after taking a survey of one student, questionable methodology by any standards.

Todays public schools are passing high school kids with reading abilities near illiteracy.

Does this represent a change from previous decades? Source? Otherwise, can't you see that what you mentioned doesn't actually support Farkel's thesis that there has been a decline in the average amount of education obtained by high school students? Ever thought about the possibility that people younger than you might actually be smarter than you? Just because they won't stay the hell off our damn lawns doesn't necessarily imply that the younger generation is intellectually inferior to us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit