Article: It's Time to Outlaw Extreme Shunning in Modern Society

by AndersonsInfo 183 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• vikesgirl101
    vikesgirl101

My concern is for families that raise their children in this cult. Oftentimes they bully their children into an early baptism,so that they have bragging rights. When this child comes of age,there is no way to walk away gracefully and say "This isn't for me.". It needs to be treated like an arranged marriage of a minor in order for it to be legally dealt with. They even condone shunning a sinful baptized youth. That's abuse in my book. This will be the story that I tell when I share it with anyone that asks.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

"A few thoughts: just because the WTS can hide behind the Bill of Rights here doesn't mean they can get away with that everywhere. I can see some Nordic countries possibly coming down on them for these outrages. And US hegemony is fading away into history.....", metatron

They can hide behind the Bill of Rights in respect to LAW. You too can hide behind the Bill of Rights against laws that violate your rights! However, when it comes to people, the public, information, and education- the WTB&TS has no defense at all. Remove the Bill of Rights and give the government a hammer to beat the WTB&TS into submission, all good and fine. But the government still has the hammer...

"In addition, exposure such as Barb does (magnificent!), can hit the WTS indirectly - as with getting government officials to see them correctly as heartless cultists who exploit and injure families.", metatron

Who cares about government officials and legislators?! Get FAMILIES to see them as "heartless culitsts that exploit and injure families." Then you'll have real change.

"This subject is a bit interesting, and confusing. Are we not agreeing to what we see happening as a hindrance to human rights through the practice of Shunning? I don't care about the Scientologists, Quakers, Adventists etc. I care about some family members who are affected by a bullying tactic. I still want the JW's to have the religious right, but not Hatred rights. Just like any Nation has a right to rule their country, but, this does not allow the practice of prejudice,and mental abuse. What is a Human Rights principle? Has mankind mastered the quality of kindness that we should stop fighting for it right now. Lately, we find the WT, Catholics taken a passive approach towards Homosexuality. The message is love the person, but not the practice, Don't become Homo phobic. But, for someone that no longer wants to beleive the same as they used to believe he/she is Mentally ill?

The WT is broken on this matter. Any attention or public announcement to this violation of Human rights should be addressed." , Quarterback

I wonder, can you define the human right that is being violated? What do you mean by "Hatred rights"? See, my issue is basically this: I don't like the WT shunning either. It ticks me off. But the last thing I want to do is use the rule of law when it comes to matters that aren't (or can't) be objectively defined. You say you don't feel that the WT should be allowed the practice of prejudice and mental abuse. Ok, judment against what they feel is wrong? Like, say, homosexuality? Sex out of marriage? Smoking? Aren't we talking about forcing them to accept these practices now?

MMM

• venetian
    venetian

For oompa

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

The subject matter is about Shunning, Mr Muster

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

Finally, I don't see that the 1st Amendment forever protects tax exemptions

Interestingly, the First Amendment does not protect tax exemption at all. Congress or any state legislature (at least in any state where the state constitution does not prohibit it) could enact new tax laws tomorrow taxing religion and it would without question be constitutional. It would just be political suicide, so it's not happening in the U.S. anytime soon. Taxing some religions and not others based on the content of the beliefs could present a problem however.

• Quendi
    Quendi

What I would like to see is some kind of collaboration between Barb and BandOnTheRun. I think it would be worthwhile for these two people to lay their heads together on this vital issue. Most of us here want to see an end to the human rights abuses the WTS has practiced for decades. I think we can all agree that negative publicity is what the organization fears most. Can't we get together to initiate the kind of actions that will bring this about?

Quendi

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Well said, Quendi

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I don't see how the oppression from watchtower goes against freedom to worship rights in America. If you chose to believe something else, you are oppressed by them!

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

You can't argue with success! That expression comes to mind when thinking of Joe & Barbara and their website.

A couple of years back at a 2-day CA we had a Bethel visitor who hinted that he was a big wig in the writing department (Don Kommers is his name). His talk was something along the lines of avoiding apostate literature. And in the course of his talk he gave the example of an ex-JW (no name given), a sister who had worked in the writing department who was now promoting anti-Jehovah's Witnesses articles on her website and that this was as an example of the online type of websites we in the audience needed to avoid.

Makes you wonder how Don Kommers became aware of this ex-sister and her website and how often other Witnesses at Bethel visit this site because of them. Who knows! One thing is for certain our Sister Barbara and Brother Joe are indeed making head-way in becoming a thorn in the side of this Goliath WT. So show these forum members some respect!

You go Joe and Barbara!

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

The article by Dick Kelley disturbs me for a number of reasons. The first is that he wrote about Eric as if he personally knew him. I don't know for sure, but I don't think they knew each other in real life. If someone would have information corroborating that they did know each other, I would be more than happy to retract that statement.

I also am bothered by the fact that Dick culled from Eric's posts here to find a vehicle for AAWA to use when discussing how bad disfellowshipping is, and the associated shunning. I know of another person that this AAWA outed, and then wanted to exploit for this same purpose. At least Eric is no longer with us, and cannot personally be hurt. I just worry about others that can be outed that were associated with Eric in real life, due to some of his past indiscreet posting.

zed

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit