New Child Abuse lawsuit to be filed tomorrow in Ohio against WT and congregation

by AndersonsInfo 59 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    FadeToBlack - "A flood of abuse cases might eventually be the undoing of the corporation..."

Well, even if it doesn't come undone, it'll be a wispy shadow of its former self.

FadeToBlack - "...but I think when or if that occurs they will just play the persecution card..."

The persecution card only goes so far; it's hard to accuse your opponents of persecution when evidence of wrongdoing on your part is stacked against you.

FadeToBlack - "...say they are going underground (perhaps literally at new HQ)."

There was a thread started a short time ago about just how extensive the underground components of the Walkill complex actually are, with links.

Damned if I can find it now, though.

FadeToBlack - "I do think it will have a positive effect on those partially-awakened ones sitting on the fence who are internet aware, particularly the younger ones."

Already happening...

PS: I like your username.

• S EIGHT
  • S EIGHT
    S EIGHT

Wow, very interesting reading and very similar to conti

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Yeah, no more in-home Bookstudy because of "gas prices." Right. . . . . [continues reading]

• S EIGHT
    S EIGHT

Some really good points in the complaint especially focusing on the congregation control over every aspect of a persons life clearly demonstrating a special relationship. Every time a new case comes forward, the legal brief is just going to get better and better. No more can they say they are not responsible for the actions of congregation members when they control the members at such a detailed level. Go get em!!

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I wonder if the fact that Lorain is near Cleveland could draw additional attention to the case. There have been a number of articles recently about Cleveland and the recent kidnappings and murders. And remember that Ariel Castro's mom is a JW in Cleveland. I still think it likely, if we ever get the details, that Castro had been to the Kingdom Hall in either Cleveland or Reading PA when he was young.

• S EIGHT
    S EIGHT

Hmm, it doesn't actually say whether he was convicted of the first case of abuse. Can This be found out through court records or did he commit suicide before facing a jury? Perhaps I need to give it another read...

• L3G
  • Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The WT must change its policies, doctrine, and culture. This too basic. Nevertheless, filing a law suit does not say anything about its merits. Reading testimony is not enough. Trial judges (when a jury is waived) and juries are there to determine facts. The actual courtroom presence is very different from watching a live TV feed. Appeals courts only rarely deal with factual findings b/c they were not present to see body language or voice inflections. I wish there were a way to filter decent claims from some case cooked up for a small settlement and local press publicity for the lawyer.

There is one factor that hints at merit. Negligence lawyers do not work per hour. They work on contingency fees. Because normal people cannot pay enormous legal bills, negligence lawyers are allowed to take home one third of the award. The percentage has been inching up. This can be countless millions to a lawyer. Lawyers go from barely making ends meet to super wealth in a single case. Contingency fees would be outrageous for contracts, landlord/tenant, etc. Because of the economics, lawyers will not take run of the mill small negligence cases. If the lawyer loses in a contingency fee arrangement case, the lawyers get no money. Costs are paid by the plaintiff, the person who sues initially.

I know from my personal experience that you can suffer damages from negligence but they refuse to do easy small cases. Many people who should get awards cannot get any representation because of the economics. There are pluses and minuses to every pay arrangement. Going to trial or settling without being sued require expensive services. It would be a rare lawyer who would accept a worthless case. When suing was cheaper, many would bring worthless cases. Also, there are now a host of penalties against lawyers who bring worthless cases.

There are exceptions to every rule. Don't assume every case filed is a winner. Also, don't assume that there is a real victim. We don't know. Another problem is the length of time to go to court. Discovery, finding out basic information, takes a long time.

Another issue. Conti's case is atypical. The WT had actual notice. Most cases the WT will not have notice. It will only be the actual pedophile being sued. Conti's lawyer warned against assuming that every sex abuse pedophile case is like Conti's case. Also, suing people leaves an enormous emotional burden unless you are hardened to your core. Your very private life becomes public. Lawyers terrorize people during depositions. They are not mean. You have to protect your client. This is British and British colonies.

Other countries use very different systems. Judges are trained excessively to detect liars. They are very sophisticated. The Brits opted for a system of ordinary people. No system is better than the other. It depends on the particular factual circumstance.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

This is the really relevant part, the stuff that makes all the abuse possible. In fact without "this" the WTBTS could not exist, but ironically it may be their downfall...

59. A special relationship existed between Defendants and Silvasy.

60. Because of this special relationship, Defendants owed Plaintiff a duty of aid and protection and was in a relationship of trust and confidence with Plaintiff through its invitation to Plaintiff to participate in Jehovah's Witness activities and interact with their agents, including activities at the Kingdom Hall used by Defendant West.

61. Defendants invited Plaintiff to trust its agents, including Silvasy, despite having information to which Plaintiff and her family were entitled, specifically that interacting with Silvasy posed a risk of minor girls being sexually abused by Silvasy when Silvasy formed personal relationships with minors and spent considerable time with them outside of the Kingdom Hall.

The " special relationship " must exist or the CCJW can't exist. It's where their power lies. At the same time this "special relationship" makes them responsible for what occurs under their watch. They have appointed themselves over others, and now they must reap the consequences. I hope they are inundated with abuse cases.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit