Why do all the COs have food intolerances/allergies/special dietary requirments?

by Julia Orwell 42 Replies latest jw friends

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

stress - depression - psychosomatic illness.

I'm with LOST on this one.

• Terry
    Terry

Having an allergy is perhaps one of the very few ways of obtaining sympathy without being lectured for being spiritually weak.

People with ordinary problems don't get much support at the Kingdom Hall. Publishers are generally treated like soldiers who

must be fit for duty 24/7.

Having a special diet is a way of getting attention, too. It means others have to fuss over you and treat you differently and think about

your needs.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

You-all are funny - and correct!

I can see that lifestyle causing so many stress-related problems and illnesses.

• rmt1
    rmt1

I saw it in the central Pennsylvania / Grantville circuit. Effete, learn'ed, travel'ed, experience'd, selective, elegant, discretionary, discriminating. In a word, better than you.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

I've been told by more than one CO that it's the only way they can have some semblance of control over their diet. When left to the their own devices, the friends TM will typically make that "special meal" with rich cream sauces, or will make the "budget" meal, which is typically some type of pasta dish. If they didn't give the friends some type of guidelines, they'd be putting on 20 lbs a year and need bypass surgery by 45.

I can sympathize somewhat. When I have lunch meetings and conferences, they turn into carb fests. I've seen colleagues ask for a special gluten-free meal, only so they can take a break from the carbs.

R_O

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

"potluck" (non JW) "Share-a-Dish" (JW)

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

When I was a kid we had a CO whose wife apparently had a phobia of aluminum foil. When they sent word ahead of time of their visits, the elders were made to go around and make a big point of telling everyone who had the privilege of feeding them that no aluminum foil could be used in any way so that it touched the food.

I understand that people read articles that scare them about certain products but it seemed unnecessarily pompous and rude to make demands like that on people who are feeding you for free. You wouldn't go into a restaurant and demand to know what methods they use to cook and cover their food (or maybe they did?)

• free and happy
    free and happy

slimboyfat - which circuit were you in because we had ray midgeley too as co in Durham number 1 circuit, he was always quite poorly.

• Gayle
    Gayle

In fairness, circuit work is such an unnatural life (in addition to the whole JW life), moving every week, every week in a different home. I sensed most CO wives were not happy, I can't blame them. I believe a woman 'needs' her own home and kitchen, even if a small nest. For awhile some were getting their own trailers (late '70s ?) but I heard by mid-'80s that was being discouraged.

Anyway, I never heard a JW youth, wanting to grow up and be a CO or CO wife.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Its all bullshit, they act like diva's because they can because the brothers want to be servants or elders and if you're already an elder then they want assembly or convention parts. The CO's know that they can ask for this, not eat that, etc. because they know that these brothers want to rim their asses

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit