Why do all the COs have food intolerances/allergies/special dietary requirments?

by Julia Orwell 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

It's a well known phenomenon I've observed from JWN, my own COs. A new CO we had once who was fresh from being a normal elder and after a couple of visits he said, "Well I've finally become a true CO...I now have food intolerances."

I mean, only once did my husband and I ever have a CO around for dinner and they couldn't eat this, he couldn't eat that, she couldn't eat this...it was so hard to cook something with none of the zillions of things they were 'allergic' to.

And then after all that the wife couldn't come anyway because she had a naturopath appointment or something.

Why do all CO's seem to have weird dietary problems?

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

LOL! Good catch. I had the same experience wth them. Maybe deep(or not too) deep down, these people seriously don't want to have this unnatural life so psychosomatic illness kicks in. So many jws cannot attend meetings or preach due to "intolerances".

Actually intolerance is possibly the root cause.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I think that too. I remember when I was heading for a huge breakdown (I mean, I was off work for months and left teaching for years and still can't resume it full time even though I'm a teacher again) my mind and body were under so much strain I developed a lactose and wheat intolerance. I'm fine now, but at that time of extreme, ongoing stress, my body crapped out on me.

• TOTH
    TOTH

Because they CAN. It's a form of manipulation that forces one to not simpLy jump when the org says, "jump!", but to ask, " HOW HIGH, LORD?"

• *lost*
    *lost*

stress - depression - psychosomatic illness.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

One CO explained to us that almost every meal they had been presented with was almost a mini-banquet, so filling that they would be unable to continue with whatever it was that CO's went on to do after eating. For that reason they would often stipulate ahead of their visit what kind of food they required.

• stillin
    stillin

President Bush didn't like broccoli. I don't like peas. But if I'm a guest at somebody's home, I eat them. It's the polite thing to do. Bush's wife defended her husband from the American Brocolli Growers Association by saying "he ate his broccoli for 60 years. Now he doesn't. Give him a break!"

executive privilege, I guess.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Same here, either the CO, or his wife, or both.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Our former CO, Ray Midgley genuinely did have severe diet restriction because he had Coeliac disease. That was surely genuine because he went on to die of stomach cancer, a common complication of Coeliac disease, in his early 60s.

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

JW's love potlucks and not all have mad chef skills like I do. If I was in CO shoes I would feign food iintolerance just so I wouldn't have to gulp down some of the crap food items so prevalent at said potlucks. It would always be an out if menu was substandard.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit