The President addresses the Nation

by designs 257 Replies latest social current

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

My angle is that there has been a remarkable emphasis, in these threads, on satisfaction (that justice has been done) based upon the conclusion of the trial and a rendered verdict.

So, I question: does such satisfaction with a legally final verdict hold true across the board, for all adjudicated criminal cases?

Or is this one special?

• Simon
    Simon

Who knows, Rachel may make something of her life. Personally I think there are probably many more deserving disadvantaged black kids who were already trying to do things for themselves and would have grasped the opportunity she has been given because ... well, I'm not really sure of the 'why'. We can only hope an education will help her.

• Simon
    Simon

I'll make a deal: I will agree that TM was 100% innocent if anyone will give me a free shot at punching them in the face AND let me bash their head on the sidewalk for a minute.

You are not allowed to fight back at any point back but are allowed to say "see, I told you so" afterwards. Assuming you still have motor skills ...

• designs
    designs

sonner- The offer was for a tutor to help her through High School and to study for the SAT and a full college scholarship. I hope it is a real and solid offer. I think we are seeing the President and his wife's heart on this matter of mentoring.

I know city's have to make tough choices on allocating funds, and there is tremendous waste and graft, but teaching the current generation is vital and especially the poor who cannot go to private schools at $35 grand a year.

• Simon
    Simon

Exactly ... OJ has nothing to do with this and neither doies Emmett Till. Bringing either up is rediculous.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Mentors may help, but it's the parents that are going to be the largest push for these kids. The parents, the home environment, what the parents think is and is not morally right . . . that is going to make a real difference. Seriously, look at the parents and talk to the parents . . . and you will see where the child is going, with a few rare exceptions.

Obviously , OJ and Michael Jackson were victims of rascist juries that let them off. Ridiculous. Each jury decides the law to the evidence as best they are able. I respect the decision in Travon, OJ, and MJ. OJ proved to later be a criminal. And, MJ had clouds on his name from other boys. If Zimmerman is a bad dude, it will come out in the end. He will get in trouble with the law in the future.

• Simon
    Simon

It's old fashioned and cliche but absentee fathers is a possible issue as figures show a higher proportion and there could be a correlation or at least a contributing factor. It would be strange to imagine it has no effect.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

It is not my role to argue with you Simon - I have a great respect for your work in this board. But my personal perspective is that there really is a connection between Emmett Till and TM. I understand that you disagree - but your disagreement does not change my perspective.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I first read about the phenomenom of fatherlessness in america in the book, "The Broken Hearth." Then, criminal law classes reinforced it. Now, my own experience. There was a time when the "Million Men" marches were getting stronger in Washington DC. I thought it was the beginning of the needed conversation of the importance of a family.

http://www.fathermag.com/news/2778-stats.shtml

Fatherless Homes Breed Violence

According to Getting Men Involved: The Newsletter of the Bay Area Male Involvement Network, Spring 1997:

Begin quote:

• 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes (Source: U.S. D.H.H.S., Bureau of the Census
    • 90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes
    • 85% of all children that exhibit behavioral disorders come from fatherless homes (Source: Center for Disease Control)
    • 80% of rapists motivated with displaced anger come from fatherless homes (Source: Criminal Justice & Behavior, Vol 14, p. 403-26, 1978.)
    • 71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes (Source: National Principals Association Report on the State of High Schools.)
    • 75% of all adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers come from fatherless homes (Source: Rainbows for all Gods Children.)
    • 70% of juveniles in state-operated institutions come from fatherless homes (Source: U.S. Dept. of Justice, Special Report, Sept 1988)
    • 85% of all youths sitting in prisons grew up in a fatherless home (Source: Fulton Co. Georgia jail populations, Texas Dept. of Corrections 1992)

(Because only a portion of each age group grew up in a fatherless home,) these statistics translate to mean that children from fatherless homes are:

• 5 times more likely to commit suicide
      • 32 times more likely to run away
      • 20 times more likely to have behavioral disorders
      • 14 times more likely to commit rape
      • 9 times more likely to drop out of high school
      • 10 times more likely to abuse chemical substances
      • 9 times more likely to end up in a state-operated institution
      • 20 times more likely to end up in prison.
    end quote
  • NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

And again, if the discussion is about the President's address, I understand why he has been affected by the TM events. And on a personal level, I do not disagree.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit