The President addresses the Nation

by designs 257 Replies latest social current

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Violia, you have been told over and over again, by those who are directly affected. Why do you feel like you know better?

Poverty and lack of education, lack of hope or even a vision of something better, are huge issues not only in this country but around the world. But this IS a black thing. They are treated differently, on every level, and there is mounds of evidence to prove it. Why can't you hear/see???

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    I think GZ was trying so hard to help. He mentored kids.

Good grief. Maybe it's time you actually look at the evidence and history of that man instead of just swallowing the image provided to you by his lawyers. This is about the President's comments, Trayvon Martin is one among thousands of young black men who have been profiled to death, much less those who have "only" been profiled to jail, hopelessness, or hospitals.

• Simon
    Simon

I don't think blanket statements like that are helpful. Treated differently at every level?

The trouble with making claims that go too far are that for some they can be discredited and dismissed.

No one needs to exaggerate ... doing so weakens legitimate claims of unfairness.

Seeing racism in everything and everyone diminishes the genuine hurt caused.

• Violia
    Violia

I don't see if b/c I have been there and done that and have the T-Shirt, as they say. I have lived in the trenches and survived and know prejudice when I see it. I saw plenty of it. I know blacks face prejudice but they are not the only ones. Poor kids everywhere,, any one of them could have been TM.

• Simon
    Simon

There was no evidence that Trayvon Martin was racially profiled. If you describe him as 'typical and representative' then you discredit the claims for everyone else because it's been investigated and there was no evidence. Please do no make baseless claims. They help no one.

I would remind you that you are legally responsible for what you say.

• Simon
    Simon

I dont think its difficult to argue that poverty brings challenges and belonging to an ethnic minority brings challenges. Both combined bring more challenges.

As a 'majority minority' in some areas I think different factors are then in play for the black community that may be different for other cultures.

Again, the stats point to different behavior way beyond the proportion of the population and that is what needs to be understood and addressed. It doesn't diminish other minorities problems to acknowledge that.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I think the conversation needs to be a complete change. To build up the confidence of inner-city/poor black people that they are not victims and they can make anything out of themselves. If one believes that the system is rigged and they are a victim, then they will continue to be victims. I went to school in an "F" school, inner city, 50% black, 40% Hispanic, and 10% poor, white Skeeters. Most of my classmates are probably in jail. By 7th grade, they were dropping out.

But, my family didn't tell me I was going to be at the low end. I was told every day that I was going to do something. My parents were there to make sure I did my homework, even if they didn't understand it. I think black families are broken, especially inner-city. Fatherless families. It starts with the family unit as well as society giving them the tools to win. But, most of all, it starts with their own belief that they are good. And, that has to start when they are 2 years old. It is for this reason, that I am 100% behind early childhood education.

Here's something really racist I am going to admit.. I cling to that black people inside the JWs (and black ex-JWs) are smart, well read and respectable people. They are not the low white-trash of some of the anglo-saxon JWs. I see a child molestor, it's a white JW. I probably would have continued alot longer in an all black JW congregation. I really like black JWs and black ex-JWs. And, I know black professionals and they are great people who worked hard (like me) to get out of the inner-city. But, I put on a pedastal the black JWs. Well, they are brainwashed by the religion, but they are great people.

But, I also know the black gangs, drug issues. Folks, I get an opportunity to volunteer in criminal court. And, I volunteer at the schools. There are some really trashy black people. And, the violent gangs attacking innocent Hispanics. It doesn't help me want to keep my car doors unlocked when I go into certain neighborhoods. And, there are really trashy white people. I just locked my door at the shrimp market down at the local docks, when a WHITE couple obviously high on meth were sitting at a picnic table near me. White can also be welfare queens, faking disability claims, heroin/drugs, living off the 'system. And, trashy people bring about more heartache in the next generation becuase they are not teaching that they can 'move up.'

I know a retired public school teacher, great friends with her. She taught in inner-city Ohio. She admittd to me that each year she gave all kids in her middle school math class two weeks. She then "wrote a majority off" and focused on the few who were interested in learning. The parents were not interested in helping the kids learn, except for a few. Homework never happened wtih these kids. After 7th, 8th, and 9th grade, this group of kids would drop out. She claims she was really good at predicting who would leave school. That was her honesty.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    I don't think blanket statements like that are helpful. Treated differently at every level?
    The trouble with making claims that go too far are that for some they can be discredited and dismissed.
    No one needs to exaggerate ... doing so weakens legitimate claims of unfairness.
    Seeing racism in everything and everyone diminishes the genuine hurt caused.

Respectfully Simon, in what venue are they not treated differently? Please leave out entertainment and sports, because all who are successful are treated differently there.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Obama has seen this from a very personal perspective - good for him. Racism is alive and well in this country, irrespective of the fact that we have a black president.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Lets not forget Emmit Till - I frankly don't see a big difference.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit