What Is The Most Absurd JW Belief or View?

by minimus 81 Replies latest jw friends

• Thoughtless
    Thoughtless

Rocky Girl, that has been annoying me for a while as well. That SAME exact concept. One person to celebrate? Too egotistical. Two people? They can handle the lovebombing, we can divide it amongst themselves.

~Thoughtless

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Rocky_Girl - "That you can celebrate anniversaries, but not birthdays."

That one always made me scratch my head, too.

Of, course, I realize now that forbidding birthdays had nothing to do with being "scriptural" and everything to do with socially isolating JWs from non-JW friends and relatives... (BTW, I just celebrated mine)

I thought you were new until I clicked on your profile and saw all your posts.

I read your experience of being reproved for someone else's dream-lapdance, and everybody who commented in that thread was spot-on; that was - hands down - the absolute stoopiest JC decision ever...

Odds are the guy who had it in for you actually had a thing for you and this was the only way he could deal with it.

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

Vidiot:

Haha! The dream lapdance was one of the final straws for me. It was a classic case of "elder protecting daughter by transferring guilt onto non-elder's daughter."

I read a lot, but haven't posted in a while because my phone won't work with this site. :)

My children have their birthdays celebrated to the point that they feel like their b-day is a holiday. I like it that way! I hope they grow up feeling more confident than I did. :)

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Rocky_Girl - "My children have their birthdays celebrated to the point that they feel like their b-day is a holiday."

It is a holiday.

If you don't mind my asking, how old are they?

• Splash
    Splash

When I was small my mother wouldn't let me use those stick-on/wash-off tattoos.

This was long before the teaching appeared in the magazines:

*** g04 7/8 p. 30 From Our Readers ***

Tattoos Thank you very much for the article “Young People Ask . . . Should I Get a Tattoo?” (September 22, 2003) I really thought tattoos were cool and wanted to get a temporary tattoo sticker. However, the statement that we wouldn’t want to make markings on our body that dishonored God “even temporarily” really hit me. When I considered that wearing a tattoo could stumble others and cause others to view me as rebellious, I decided not to do so.

Splash

• gorgia2
    gorgia2

Splash,

My brothers and I weren't allowed the stick-on tattoos either!

Also as a child I remember we could only have Easter Eggs the day after Easter, & then only if our mother had smashed them up first with the meat-tenderiser. (???!!!)

gorgia

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

We weren't allowed to watch the fireworks on the 4th of July. We had to hide in the basement so we couldn't "accidentally" see them. But, we could set them off for the week before and after... Craziness!

We also had our entire 3 generation JW family together at grandma's for turkey dinner on the day after Thanksgiving.

gogia2: We never had smashed easter eggs though. That is a little frightening!

vidiot: I have two boys, 10 and 7.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Rocky_Girl - "I have two boys, 10 and 7."

Better not introduce them to my girls; we'd never pry them apart!

• brainmelt
    brainmelt

That you can celebrate anniversaries, but not birthdays

^^ yup, totally stupid. You can however, throw the mother-to-be, a baby shower complete with cake, presents and party games and you can buy the newborn baby as many gifts as you like but buy them a gift a year later and they will df your ass

Other stupid ones - they believe what scientists say about the age of the earth but when it comes to the descent of man and the time that man has been on the earth, then you better completely ignore all scientific proof and believe that man has only walked on earth for 6000 years because the bible says so.

That all animals were once vegetarian.

That there was a global flood

The 607/1914 thing

The GB being chosen by god to direct his organisation

The blood doctrine, not so much stupid, just the most unloving, unscriptural rule to enforce on people. Murderers.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I remember one Thanksgiving I was at my JW friend's house instead of celebrating Thanksgiving with my "worldly" family, and my JW friend's mom was cooking a turkey dinner and playing "Walking in a Winterwonderland" on the piano. I remember thinking to myself, Why am I not at home with my family doing the same thing? I asked her why she was cooking a turkey and she said "it's just food", but I thought wow, an elder's wife can get away with anything! They used to have "gift exchange parties", and I thought what's the difference between doing it on your birthday, Christmas or some random day in the year? Really stupid logic the Jdumbs have.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit