What Is The Most Absurd JW Belief or View?

by minimus 81 Replies latest jw friends

• grumblecakes
    grumblecakes

Soooo many. Too hard to pick just one...

The thing with the blood doctrine that I dont get is there seems to be no real motive with it. Everything else you can put your finger on something they get out of it (like the FDS teaching = more power for they GB) but if they dropped the blood issue they would stand to lose nothing, doesnt effect them...so why stick to it?

• whathappened
    whathappened

Saluting the flag or singing the national anthem is performing an act of worship to Satan. That's a doozie!

• Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile

Ha-ha. How much time you got?

Someone already mentioned the blood doctrine. There's one absurd aspect of it that I brought up to a JW recently. Let's get this straight, they are allowed by the human leaders of the religion to inject the blood fractions of satanic, worldly people into their body, yet are forbidden to use their own blood fractions to sustain their life? The response I got to that question was, "That's because blood must be poured on the ground". To which I replied, "Except the worldly blood you're allowed to inject into your body, right?" I could practically see his brain shudder as he momentarily thought about it and then quickly changed the subject. I don't blame him, how on earth could you logically defend that kind of nonsensical hypocrisy?

I can completely understand JWs having blood phobias and rejecting all fractions even though their leaders now allow them. It's a doctrinal and logical mess.

• life is to short
    life is to short

That pedophiles have a right to go door to door, not only is it OK but that I as an elders wife had to drive them around in my car as demanded to me by the CO.

LITS

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Unfortunately, their stupidest beliefs are probably the ones common to other Christian religions.

A magical loving creator got angry when his toys listened to a talking snake so he killed his son so he could be less angry at his toys so long as they were sad about his dead son who is actually alive.

• life is to short
    life is to short

good one Jeffro

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

LITS, good grief! No wonder you left!!! There is a Pedo in MILs cong (we were once in it too. Hubby was an elder who knew the WHOLE story) whos wife stayed with him. He and wifey invite MIL out to dinner. She accepts. Hubby tells mom the facts about her so called friends. She goes anyway. MIL never argued that it wasn't true. The fact is, she simply doesn't care. So, pedophiles are good association. Gays and lesbians are bad association. Wife beaters are good association but doubters are "Mentally diseased".

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    I never understood the math

-606 + 360 * 7 = 1914

or why the math worked

It doesn't. Their starting point is wrong, their method is a convoluted mess, and what they said would happen in 1914 didn't happen.

or how they even came up with the math.

They got it from the Millerites (early 19th century).

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    I never understood the math

They use 360-day years to work out the length of time since their incorrect starting point, but then add the result using 365.24-day years. They tried explaining the math in 1951.

The Watchtower, 15 June 1951, p. 383:

• In establishing the length of the seven times of the Gentiles, a time or year of 360 days is used, to give 2,520 days, which become 2,520 years when Ezekiel 4:6 is applied. Yet when we figure from 607 B.C. down to A.D. 1914, the 2,520 years are solar years of 365 1/4 days each, and not lunar years of 360 days each. Is this proper?—N. N., New Zealand.
    The Bible records ignore the solar year of 365 1/4 days as far as measuring natural time and prophetic time. The moon was used for fixing the months, and then the spring growing season for determining the beginning of the year in relation to the moon, making necessary 7 times every 19 years the addition of an intercalary month or Ve-Adar month, a thirteenth month. So since the length of the Jewish year was not stabilized to 365 days plus a leap year of 366 days, prophecy fixed a system of measurement of its time periods at 360 days for a year or time, calculating 30 full days to a month instead of the actual 29 1/2 days to a lunation. Genesis 7:11, 24; 8:3, 4 shows Noah calculated 30 days roughly to a month. Further confirmation of this unit as a prophetic norm of time is given us at Revelation 11:2, 3, where 42 months are run parallel with 1,260 days, making a year of 12 months equal 360 days. Note also that when Revelation 12:6, 14 parallels 3 1/2 years or times with 1,260 days it takes each time or symbolic year as equal to 360 days, and not 365 1/4 days by saying that the 3 1/2 times equal 1,278 and a fraction days. In 3 1/2 years or times there would be at least one and possibly two intercalary months, as explained by The Watchtower, March 15, 1948, pages 91, 92; yet Revelation ignored such intercalary months in giving the days of the 3 1/2 times. So we figure according to God’s Biblical way and are on firm foundation in saying that the symbolic seven times equal 2,520 years. And these 2,520 years should be counted as solar years, because the Jewish lunar years of 360 days, over long periods of time, kept pace with the solar years by means of the intercalary months added at set intervals, thereby always maintaining the necessary harmony between the year’s beginning and the seasons.

It's also worth noting that years in the Hebrew calendar never have exactly 360 days. They have 354, 355, 383, 384 or 385 days, depending on where the year is in the metonic cycle.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Jeffro, nothing is funnier than reading really old Jw literature. Try getting a dub to explain THAT!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit